HOW-TO: Chickenears Cool-Aid Stage III **PICS**

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
I got the Chickenears Cool-Aid Stage III Kit today and immediately went to installing it. Here is a step-by-step of how I installed it...

Here are some pics of everything that came in my kit. I opted for the polished tube and Tim engraved "Chickenears" on it. I also got the polished lid for the filter box and the Air Force One Power Tube. I chose to go with the 12" S&B Filter instead of the True-Flow Foam Filter.
Picture001-4.jpg

Picture002-3.jpg

Picture003-3.jpg

Picture004-2.jpg

Picture005-3.jpg

Picture006-3.jpg

Picture007-2.jpg

Picture008-2.jpg

The first thing I had to do was remove the old K&N FIPK.
Picture011-2.jpg

Here's what it looked like with the K&N removed.
Picture012-2.jpg

Next, I located these two bolts on the front of the engine. They're the ones on the drivers side between the cam cover and the power steering pump.
Picture009-2.jpg

Then I install the supplied aluminum brackets with the supplied 13MM locking nuts. The slightly angled bracket goes on the bottom. I left them loose so I could make adjustments later if needed.
Picture010-3.jpg

Picture013-2.jpg

Then I went to installing the ram-air tubing. I installed the long flex-tubing section and the short one to the polished metal tube prior to installing it to help ease the installation. I used the supplied worm-gear clamps to install the flex-tubing on the metal tube.
Picture014-2.jpg

Picture015-2.jpg

Next, I used two more of the supplied clamps to attach the tubing to the aluminum brackets I installed earlier. Once again, I left them slightly loose so I could adjust them for fitment later.
Picture029-1.jpg

Then I went to installing the ram-air scoop. This was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. First, I laid out the scoop and the brackets.
Picture016-4.jpg

Then I located the two lower/inner bumper mounting bolts (they're right next to the heat exchanger). I remove these two bolts and installed the two brackets for the scoop. Once again, leaving them slightly loose to adjust the height of the scoop once I have it installed. This is the drivers side with bolt removed...
Picture018-2.jpg

This is the passenger side with the bolt still in...
Picture019-2.jpg

And after the brackets were installed...
Picture020-2.jpg

Picture021-2.jpg

Then I attached the scoop with the supplied nylon threaded nuts and the supplied washers. This took a little pushing and pulling, but it went right on. Once I had the scoop installed, I lined everything up, snugged it up against the bumper as far as I could, and tightened the two bumber bolts and the four bolts that hold the scoop to the brackets. These are pics of it installed...
Picture022-2.jpg

Picture024-2.jpg

Picture025-1.jpg

Then I attached the flex-tubing to the scoop with another supplied clamp...
Picture027-2.jpg

At this time, I attached the other end of the tubing to the filter box and clamped it. Once that was accomplished, I went ahead and adjusted the tubing for clearance and tightened down the bracket nuts and the clamps. I had to fiddle with it a bit to get clearance away from the lower pulley (8# lower). In the instructions it has a picture of the tubing going under the power steering line, but I had to go over it to get clearance. I ended up with about 1 1/2" of clearance from the lower pulley...
Picture030-2.jpg

Picture029-1.jpg

Once that was done I went to work on the filter box. First I installed the MAF using the billet MAF adapter supplied with the kit. I followed the instructions and "sandwiched" the filter box between the MAF and adapter. I used my old MAF gasket on the outside where the MAF contacted the box. The supplied MAF bolts were too short, so I just re-used my old ones. I also installed the IAT sensor in the hole in the bottom corner of the box...
Picture032-1.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Picture034.jpg

Then I installed the 12" S&B Filter and clamped it on...
Picture035.jpg

Then I installed the plastic ring and foam ring at the head of the filter to make a tube to the hole in the fender. This filter does have an opening at the end...
Picture036.jpg

Picture037.jpg

Then I installed the Air Force One Power Tube to complete the set-up. Here's everything installed before I put the cover on. The only thing I really didn't care much for was that the MAF is now located on top. I believe I will have to have my tune tweaked a bit because of the new MAF location...
Picture039.jpg

Picture040.jpg

Picture041.jpg

And here's everything installed including the polished cover for the box...
Picture042.jpg

Picture043.jpg

Picture044.jpg

Picture045.jpg

Picture046.jpg

Picture047.jpg

Picture048.jpg

Picture049.jpg

Picture050.jpg

Picture051.jpg

Picture052.jpg

Picture055.jpg

Picture059.jpg

Picture060.jpg

Picture061.jpg

And the aftermath...
Picture062.jpg

I haven't had a chance to drive the L yet, but I'm pretty satisfied with this kit. I am more than satisfied with the "Deal of the Day" that Tim @ Chickenears made me.:bowdown: This kit definitely added a lot of flare to the engine bay and I must say that I had to stand there and stare at it for a while...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread