How To Control Dust In Garage?

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Hey fellas, I've got a dusty garage. It's a newer home with painted walls and ceiling, but the floor is concrete. I'm thinking the dust from the concrete is what's getting all over our cars and I'm sure the Oklahoma wind isn't helping. I've been reading a little about all the different garage floor 'sealing' options, but most are somewhat pricey, take awhile to do, etc. Is there a good, budget way of coating the floor with epoxy or paint or whatever that will work? I've read a few people say if you paint it it'll end up pretty slippery when wet so I don't know about that route.

Anyone done this for reasonably cheap? I know a lot of you probably have coated floors, but I'm not looking to spend a couple hundred just to coat a garage floor. I don't need show. I just need something to seal the concrete and stop it from dusting.

TClark22

Established Member
Umm. its just dust in general. happens inside and out of your house...lol I don't think coating the garage floor will do anything but look good and easy to clean up.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if youre not wanting to spend even a few hundred I dont see how you can do anything worthwhile

have you tried anything to be sure its the garage floor causing it? IE sweeping it real well does it kick up a buncha dust or something? If so power wash it?

Black Sex

Established Member
I would think the dust is coming in from outside. Blows in when you open the door and such.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Not sure about there but it's still pollen season here, so if you wait a few weeks the dust level will decrease dramatically. My car gets covered in dust sitting inside the garage, garage door closed, and with a car cover.

It's like an ex-wife, you can't do a damn thing about it and you have to learn to live with it.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Lived in OKC for a couple of years. Dust is from outside.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Lived in OKC for a couple of years. Dust is from outside.

You'd think, but this past weekend I detailed the car (sunday). Stayed home all this week with a sick little one and by Tuesday the car was covered in dust. I hadn't even moved it out of the garage. Only time it opens and closes was with the wife pulling out and in the garage. I've hosing it down, sweeping, etc..but it keeps coming back. I just read about how concrete can dust quite easily in a garage so I thought that could be my issue. Especially since everything else is painted/sealed.

CobraHuck

Established Member
Nah, it's not really from the concrete much. It's mainly from outside. The epoxy coating would just make it easier to clean, but wouldn't keep the dust level down at all. It's just something you'll have to deal with. We sweep our garage every time before we start a project, changing oil, exhaust install, etc and usually rinse it with water and push the water out with a broom once or twice a year. That's about all you can do

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How tight is the garage? Can air enter from the outside even a bit? Wind could then blow dust from the outside in. And if the walls and ceiling are dusty, it will get airborne with air coming in. Also check to see if your garage door has a good seal. Another way air/dust can enter from the outside. If the walls aren't sheet-rocked, I would recommend you insulate the walls and put sheet-rock up. A sheet-rock ceiling would help, too. Both will help seal your garage from outside air. Be sure the garage door has a good seal and you keep it down whenever possible.

R1Lello

Established Member
not really sure what some of you are talking about, OP, if it's really concrete floor dust, yes you can do something. Buy a quality concrete sealer, on a warm day, do 3 coats with about 30-45 min drying time in between, watch the difference afterwards. Before sealing you can broom it until your arm hurts and the dust keeps coming up.........after sealing, no more dust from brooming. Trust me.

Blown02

Established Member
ive got a large garagei guess u could call it. bigass 12' fanup top.. sealed walls.. painted floors, etc.. dust still collects. open the garage door and pollen floods in:(

Users who are viewing this thread