How to drink Scotch

NIXDSG

Established Member
I've been drinking bourbon for a few years, mostly with 1 large cube from the deep freeze, but now I have a few bottles of Scotch and I don't know the "proper" way to drink them. Neat, rocks, a drop of water, ... Help, please.

I'd post a picture of my Bourbon Room, which is almost done, but apparently my skills are lacking.

NIXDSG

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
It depends on the person and it depends on the bourbon. Everyone likes it differently. Some bourbons take on a different and even better flavor with a little water. Personally I prefer a couple of cubes of ice and the change in the flavor as it starts to melt.

prs97

Established Member
+ 1 with a rock.

There is a lot of variety with scotch so try a bunch to see what you like. Part of the fun and learning process.

q6543

Established Member
... so tell us what you got?

I've tried ALOT and land on laphroaig quarter cask as my go to.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
There is no hard and fast rule. Depending on your pallet, you may best like it neat. Or with a bit of water, and one or two ice cubes.

What you don't want to do is add so much ice you kill all the flavor. Likewise, don't add too much water, same thing.

You'll also find it varies with the Scotch.

Like a previous reply said: I'll usually take the first sip of a new Scotch (or Whiskey, or Bourbon, for that matter) neat. Nothing but the glass. I usually end up with one ice cube and a splash of water, but not always. If it's a really good single malt, I'll usually keep it neat. But not always; some, like Laphroiag, which is a great single-malt Scotch, I find way too overpowering, so I'll add some ice, but no water.

If it's a less-expensive brand, or most blends, I usually find a bit of water and an ice cube better pulls out the flavor. And just because a Scotch is blend, or inexpensive, doesn't mean it isn't any good. There's two really nice Texas-distilled whiskeys I've been enjoying lately. Definitely check out what is being made in your local state, there's some great stuff out there!

So, in short, it's all about what you like best for any given bottle. There is no hard, fast rule, and to Hell with anyone who tries to tell you otherwise.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
Neat is the way to drink it. But honestly drink it the way you want. If they are too smokey or peaty I’ll drop a small ice cube in it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There is no hard and fast rule. Depending on your pallet, you may best like it neat. Or with a bit of water, and one or two ice cubes.

What you don't want to do is add so much ice you kill all the flavor. Likewise, don't add too much water, same thing.

You'll also find it varies with the Scotch.

Like a previous reply said: I'll usually take the first sip of a new Scotch (or Whiskey, or Bourbon, for that matter) neat. Nothing but the glass. I usually end up with one ice cube and a splash of water, but not always. If it's a really good single malt, I'll usually keep it neat. But not always; some, like Laphroiag, which is a great single-malt Scotch, I find way too overpowering, so I'll add some ice, but no water.

If it's a less-expensive brand, or most blends, I usually find a bit of water and an ice cube better pulls out the flavor. And just because a Scotch is blend, or inexpensive, doesn't mean it isn't any good. There's two really nice Texas-distilled whiskeys I've been enjoying lately. Definitely check out what is being made in your local state, there's some great stuff out there!

So, in short, it's all about what you like best for any given bottle. There is no hard, fast rule, and to Hell with anyone who tries to tell you otherwise.
You just about summed it up, James. I don't drink either Scotch or Bourbon, so I won't add any useless dribble.

Users who are viewing this thread