How to ensure valves are closed?

AnarchyVA

Established Member
Is there a relatively easy way to ensure myself that the valves are closed on a specific cylinder so that I can start thread repair on a spark plug hole?

How do you manually turn the crank on these cars? Do you have to remove the crank pulley?

lunadiver

Established Member
You should be able to stick a socket in the crank pulley for the blower belt and turn the engine over.
To find out if the valves are closed hold your hand over the spark plug hole with the plug removed while turning the engine over. If it's on the compression stroke the air will push against your hand and will want to come out of the spark plug hole since both valves are closed

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Also keep in mind that the piston cannot be near tdc ignition stroke because you need room to work. Iirc has to be at the start of compression stroke. If you search for my thread, I did a write up a few years ago and used a homemade device to make sure the piston was in the correct location for the repair. Best of luck with it!

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Would be a good idea to pull all the spark plugs too. That way when you turn it over by hand to get where you need it your not trying to pressurize any other cylinders that may be on their compression stroke.

Users who are viewing this thread