How to fix or bipass PATS theft on a 1998 cobra?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if the theft light is flashing rapidly good indicator its PATs - you can also check the valve on the pass side fuel rail to double check if theres fuel at the rail.

do you have a second key? If so try that, Ive heard of the chip failing, not often but it happens. If you don't then you'd have to go down the rabbit hole of diagnosing key, reader in the column etc... The other option Im aware of being if you have a tuner, have them disable pats in the tune.

Just keep in mind if it is PATs youve drained the lines of fuel and need to either give it more time to feed the lines or prime them by turning the key forward and letting it sit for a few seconds and do that 2-3 times before starting

salvador ramirez

Established Member
if the theft light is flashing rapidly good indicator its PATs - you can also check the valve on the pass side fuel rail to double check if theres fuel at the rail.

do you have a second key? If so try that, Ive heard of the chip failing, not often but it happens. If you don't then you'd have to go down the rabbit hole of diagnosing key, reader in the column etc... The other option Im aware of being if you have a tuner, have them disable pats in the tune.

Just keep in mind if it is PATs youve drained the lines of fuel and need to either give it more time to feed the lines or prime them by turning the key forward and letting it sit for a few seconds and do that 2-3 times before starting
I don't have a second key unfortunately. What the process with diagnosing the key? So the car previously would start then shut off and was left at that and sat for about 8 years. The fuel pump went bad so we recently changed with an 2005 Lincoln aviator pump and you can hear the fuel pump working. But now that everything's looking good, I came back to the same problem I initially had.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the theft light should flash pretty slow then when you try to start it the theft light would blink fast if its PATs.

If you turn the key forward can you hear the fuel pump prime? If you hear the pump or can verify fuel pressure its not PATs, PATs keeps the pumps from getting power. If you can hear the pump it's also NOT an inertia switch issue

salvador ramirez

Established Member
the theft light should flash pretty slow then when you try to start it the theft light would blink fast if its PATs.

If you turn the key forward can you hear the fuel pump prime? If you hear the pump or can verify fuel pressure its not PATs, PATs keeps the pumps from getting power. If you can hear the pump it's also NOT an inertia switch issue

salvador ramirez

Established Member
Yes theft flashes slowly and after leaving the key on the on position for about 4 mins it goes away. When i turn the key to an on position I can hear the Pump working. I recently changed the airbag and noticed that the PATS receiver was cut off so that might have been my initial problem which i know have replaced with another.

salvador ramirez

Established Member

Yes theft flashes slowly and after leaving the key on the on position for about 4 mins it goes away. When i turn the key to an on position I can hear the Pump working. I recently changed the airbag and noticed that the PATS receiver was cut off so that might have been my initial problem which i know have replaced with another.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
The theft light should blink a code (2 blinks, pause, 3 blinks, for example).
Did you notice anything like this?

hotcobra03

Established Member
I read pats may stop fuel or spark.

Have you checked for power to plugs and have spark while cranking

Bad fuse will do this.

Also scan for codes.

I have only 1 key.

Had a basic key cut to get in car and with it you can power car to open windows and play radio. Once you try to start car it does nothing but set a code for key.

salvador ramirez

Established Member

Bad fuse will do this.

Also scan for codes.

I have only 1 key.

Had a basic key cut to get in car and with it you can power car to open windows and play radio. Once you try to start car it does nothing but set a code for key.

Bad fuse will do this.

Also scan for codes.

I have only 1 key.

Users who are viewing this thread