How to go about getting started in OT racing?

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
How does someone get started?

I live in San Diego, and I have talked to quit a few of people out here. Im new to open track racing, but not racing itself. I raced go karts when i was younger (i know i know totally different, but lines and such are the same). How/when/where do I go out and do this for the first time?

I make ~500hp
275/45/17 Nitto 555s up front
315's out back
D-specs with Ford racing "C" springs
Upper Control Arms
Steeda Front Sway bar.
PowerSlot Rotors with Hawk HPS Pads and SS line.

What else would you suggest I do to better prepare my car for the track?

Thanks,
Chris

MFE

Established Member

I live in San Diego, and I have talked to quit a few of people out here. Im new to open track racing, but not racing itself. I raced go karts when i was younger (i know i know totally different, but lines and such are the same). How/when/where do I go out and do this for the first time?

I make ~500hp
315's out back
Upper Control Arms
Steeda Front Sway bar.

Thanks,
Chris

"open track" =/= "racing". So, do you want to go to high-performance driving events on road courses, or do you want to get your race license and go wheel-to-wheel?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

I make ~500hp
315's out back
Upper Control Arms
Steeda Front Sway bar.

Thanks,
Chris

Drive the car with as few mods and as stock as possible on street tires for your first few times.

Google driving schools and open track events in your area. Hook up with Carlos (Racebronco), I'm sure he can give you some good advice for local So. Cal events.

Get front brake cooling on the car and a good helmet for starters. Go from there.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Read the primers here and at www.corner-carvers.com. And go through any threads that might answer any questions you have. Most have been answered, and it's just a matter of searching for it.
And whether you just do some Open Track events, or go for a comp license, have fun! :banana:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
In addition to what was stated/suggested above, go get a rich tune with as linear a torque curve as feasible put on that ProCharger setup. I ran a P1SC at 14lbs and intercooled for a couple of years. You will love the power on the straights, but the high-end nature of the power curve on a centri will keep you on edge at mid-turn and track out.

Most importantly, find someone on here to tag along with and HAVE FUN!!!

racer

Established Member
Chris
If you want you can tag along with me for some Nasa DE's or when any other track days that are going on.
Where in SD are you?

racebronco2

Established Member
chris,
i instruct with several groups and usually you can find me at the track about 4 days a month. Some of us are getting together at the end of the month at willow springs' big track. The beginning of the july i'll be at the street of willow to name a few. Always welcome newbee.

svtbrakes

Brakes + Tires + Safety

You will definitely need to run something more than an HPS. Hawk has some good pads such as the HT-10 or DTC-60/70 if you want to stay with them. Also get some blank rotors for track use only.

You also want to start off with a non R-compound tire since it will give you much more notice before completely loosing traction (the tire will 'talk' to you aka make noise).

You might also want to consider some safety equipment later on (harnesses etc).

-G

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Chris
If you want you can tag along with me for some Nasa DE's or when any other track days that are going on.
Where in SD are you?

Point Loma, Im stationed here in the navy. How close are you to the SD area?

Chris

Last edited:

laruei

Established Member
Not to high jack (i was going to start my own thread but this is on the same topic....), but i also live in SD and am interested in getting into open track.

If we could keep this thread going with meet up info for traveling out to track days that would be greatly aprpeciated.

As a side note:
I was looking at driving schools and found:
http://www.raceschool.com/newsite/courses_high_perf.html

Does anyone have feedback for these guys? I was thinking the 2 day bring your own car for ~$1000 at some point.

My car currently has:
1. A 4 point roll bar (bolt in) from MM
2. 4.10's in the rear that are on their way out.. i have a set of stock 3.55's in a complete pumpkin waiting to get installed when they break.
3. 2000 R Brembo's up front with braided lines
4. Hawk pads out back with stock rubber lines...
5. Drilled rotors front and back
6. Full Bassani exhaust (headers, catted x, cat back
^
Those are all the things i bought the car with.

I added:
1. FIPK
2. Amazon tune that im still getting worked out. (it was a little lean, its since been reflashed i just havent been back to the dyno to check A/F's)
3. Air tube blowing onto filter from bumper (I wrote the how too, check it out to see what im talking about..)
4. MGW Orange
5. 1" Bolt on wheel spacers (prob take those off for the track for safety?)
6. New car smell, air freshener :rollseyes

I want to get the car in tip top shape before i spend a grand to race it and have something horrable go wrong on the track...as i said the diff is clucking a little bit and i have flushed it 3 times and its finally getting a little better but its still not great, thus the backup..

How much prep work should i do before showing up to actually race? I keep the car VERY well maintained in the maintenance department. As in Mobil 1 in the trans, Royal Purple in the diff, early oil changes things like that.

I have a small list that i would like to do before racing. Please let me know if this is over kill and not needed for the first few times out.

1. Stock, undrilled and unslotted rotors for the track
2. A different set of front pads for the track (since they are easy on the brembos)
3. ATE super blue brake fluid
4. Different tires i have about 65% tread on my ES100's which grip pretty well im my opinion but arent the best...
5. Change the diff to the stock 3.55's
6. IRS bracing
7. Poly IRS bushing or Derilin

As a little back fill i owned a s2000 previously and never raced it but always wanted too, when i got rid of it i set a goal to get the cobra to handle as well as the s2000's do. My original plan was to purchase the road and track box from MM.. since reading i have learned that since im inexperienced in racing i should hold off on that and spend that money on teaching myself how to drive better.

So the question is... leave the car the way it is and make small adjustments mentioned above and "go to school" or just take it out and drive it and assume im doing it right till i run off the track?

Sorry for the long winded post just looking to set it all out on the table.

THANKS!

racer

Established Member
chris,
i instruct with several groups and usually you can find me at the track about 4 days a month. Some of us are getting together at the end of the month at willow springs' big track. The beginning of the july i'll be at the street of willow to name a few. Always welcome newbee.

Chris

Be carefull of this guy. Shady to say the least :)

wheelhopper

Established Member
For my first time I did not do anything except make sure what I had on the car was in good working order. I came from drag racing so I was pushing about 470rwhp at the time. An experienced driver would have definitely had some problems with brakes and maybe even the suspension, my cats scraped around some tight turns. If you have never done this I would simply do the same thing. Flush your fluids and make sure everything is mechanically sound. More than likely your car will be able to manage your current abilities. If there are issues they will likely be manageable and you will have a place to start for upgrading.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Not to high jack (i was going to start my own thread but this is on the same topic....), but i also live in SD and am interested in getting into open track.

If we could keep this thread going with meet up info for traveling out to track days that would be greatly aprpeciated.

As a side note:
I was looking at driving schools and found:
http://www.raceschool.com/newsite/courses_high_perf.html

Does anyone have feedback for these guys? I was thinking the 2 day bring your own car for ~$1000 at some point.

I'm sorry, but after looking at their site, maybe I'm missing something. :shrug:
$495 for 1 day in your own car? They better throw in lap dances. :banana:

laruei

Established Member
LOL...

i kinda thought it was high.. but if someone said they were the best and they could really make me a better driver i would have no problems paying that.

Now they are one of the first and only local to SD driving schools i found where i could drive my car.. if someone knows of a better school or a better way by all means please speak up.

Thanks, Ian

Users who are viewing this thread