How to go about getting started in OT racing?

laruei

Established Member
Ok looking up latin was fun AND new.. haha

And i think that means hes 50 or a person above 50.. for anyone who doesnt wanna look it up...

anyways.

GREAT NEWS!! I went and exchanged the Panasonic camera for a bottom of the shelf Sony.. NIGHT and DAY.. so happy, thank you very much ac427cobra!!! this REALLY brightened my mood as i was getting pretty down about not being able to record this wonderful experience.. but now all things are good.

to answer you Gonz:

I have not gotten the membership just yet. they didnt require me to get it for this open track event.. (at least its not listed :( ) but i will and thats fantastic information for when i do eventually get it..

i did not get my brake cooling kit as i havent gotten a email back. and its already past the possiblity to get it here in time... oh well.. ill just have to go slower in the straights right :)

THANK YOU again to everyone for the help... i will get to it on saturday and post a video on streetfire or something for everyone to laugh at and make jokes about :)

laruei

Established Member
Lets see if these come out.
The chris-cross is just to take up slack and put tension on the camera.
If the mount busted (a likelihood given who built it), it still can't reach me without another failure, or me flailing around wildly because I'm rolling. And then I have bigger worries.

tether1.JPG

tether2.JPG

tether3.JPG

tether4.JPG

Does anyone actually attempt to sit in your back seat? I took my cross bar out and it was still almost impossible for anyone, let alone 2 anyones to get back there.. so i just bought a seat delete kit to forgo any preconceived notions about me driving with anyone but my girlfriend or one passenger.

Just curious. :coolman:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Rear seat is never used.
Boss forbids a rear seat delete kit, because then it's a race car, and she had enough racing in the 70s and 80s.
End of discussion. :nonono:

David Hester

Established Member
Have y'all sat in the back seat of a Mustang?
No, I mean since grade school. Work oK to carry your coat or hat, but not really big enough for real people.
Gotta keep the Bosses happy, though!:bowdown:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Does anyone actually attempt to sit in your back seat? I took my cross bar out and it was still almost impossible for anyone, let alone 2 anyones to get back there.. so i just bought a seat delete kit to forgo any preconceived notions about me driving with anyone but my girlfriend or one passenger.

Just curious.
:coolman:

After I take out the cross diagonal and harness bar and change my padding, I can get 2 very small grand daughters, or one grand daughter and one very petite daughter (5' 1") back there.

Rarely though.:rollseyes Anyone much bigger than about 5' 4" is not going to be a happy camper :( for very long back there.

laruei

Established Member
OK. so OT was AWESOME.. had GREAT FREAKING TIME..

Car was fantastic.. for anyone still reading that cares, story goes like this:

Woke up at 2:30 on saturday morning.. drove 3.5 hours.. actually about 4 since i was half asleep and missed our freeway.

Got there found a spot did all my air pressure checks, fluid checks, pulled off my spacers and emptied the car.

We had a 30 minute drivers meeting, then a 30 min introductory training, and finally a lead follow for a 30 minute session. I was super excited to actually get out on the track.. it was a very awesome feelign to be able to get the car out there and just push it to MY limit as i would soon find out that it was the limits of myself and not the car..

After the first driving session we had another class which was again about 30 to go over concerns or questions. I had asked the instructor if we would be so kind to ride with me and tell me what i was doing wrong. He one up'ed me and said if i would do 2 laps he would assist with those then said he would drive my car 2 laps to show me what it could do and how to do it.. which was pretty much an honor for me since i had never riden in my car being pushed to its limits. I have everything on tape except the part for me holding on for dear life! I was just of camera.. that man was an amazing driver and was taking corners literally about 20mph faster then i was.. i got his card and his contact info in case i find a large sum of money and end up getting some personal training time.. his name was Alan Crocket and hes a part of skip barber racing. fantastic gentleman.. couldnt be happier with my first track day.

Anyhow after he drove my car i would say i picked up at least 5-6 seconds due to my corner entrys being higher.. he expressed that if i were to upgrade the springs i could easly shave 6 more off a lap. Also said that it was a very sensitive car in the corners and smoothness was the key.. i did learn this in a few corners where the back end came out when i released the clutch too fast.. oh well there was no off track experiences for me so thats a huge plus!

I took the girlfriend out on the last session and we eneded up emptying the tank almost completely to the point that i just got off the track so we could make it to the next gas station. She was thrilled with the event as was I (which im sure is clear by now).

the only complaints i would have about the day was the 105 degree weather and the few idiots that werent letting people pass and the ONE idiot that screwed up the lead follow by not listening to instructions prior.. other then that after i save up i will be going back again :)

To end,

The brakes only faded ONE time after the 120mph straight and it wasnt bad what so ever, completely manageable.

The es100's didnt get greassy even in the scortching heat and the way i was driving i was VERY pleased with them.. i will need a new set of tires soon but i might not rule those tires out even if they are ugly as hell.

I did use the test mode and the hottest i saw the car get was 110 then i slowed her down for a few corners with the heater on (tips hat) and she came back down.. which was fantastic. Does anyone actually know what temp limp mode typically comes on at, just so i know?

The clutch, brakes, rear end, camera mount, everything went flawlessly.. it was a wonderful experience..THANK YOU very much to everyone that helped with all my nagging questions and nuances...( i may have spelled that wrong)

:beer:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Congrats on the great event.

The best thing you can do now is run like hell. You have taken your first hit from the "track pipe" and unfortunately you are craving another hit. If you go back to the track for a second event, you will be hooked for life and it won't be pretty. :banana::pepper::banana::pepper:

laruei

Established Member
Oh and i forgot to add, he (Alan) who used to work for SVT testing the terminators back in the day.. mentioned that removing the underhood blanket raised underhood heat as well as opening the hood vents..didnt get a chance to let him explain those ones.. but he did say that a front bumper splitter helps immensely...he mentioned tiger racing was a great place too look at for that.. i think if i were to go back i would have the car on some better springs and with a splitter and see how i do :)

And it wont be for a LONG time that i go back.. that was expensive and i have a lot of plans for the car still :)

Also in about 2 years this month im planning a road trip to the Dragons Tail.. anyone live out that way? :)

David Hester

Established Member
Allan Crocket!?!?!?!
They let him out? Did he have his Mustang?
Allan is a great guy. Known him from other forums for years. We keep saying we're going to meet somewhere in the middle of the country some race weekend. I'm sure he taught you some things.
Dedication track tires and wheels are a great idea. Glad you lost the spacers for your event. :beer:

We're about 1 1/2 hours south of Highway 129. You can make a loop
through Venore, TN to Robbinsville, NC and then back to Tellico Plains, TN.
I've gone up to play many times, and we've spent the weekend at the Tapoco Lodge on the NC border. Knoxville is about 2 hours away. http://www.tapocolodge.com/
This is the Cheohala Parkway.
pic01.jpg

Last edited:

laruei

Established Member
Man that looks AWESOME!

My dad with his 93 Cobra is gonna go, a few buddies with imports (VW and Infiniti) and a friend on a R6...When i bought my s2000 i was in South Carolina (in fac ti flew out there to get it) and wanted to stop in and do the dragon but time didnt permit..

What is the best time (of the year) to get out there..? i would hate to drive a week out that way from the west coast just to be rained out...

and yes Allan is a totally awesome guy.. his car is pretty nice too even though he didnt talk to highly of it.. sounded like a guy that would have some really good car stories to sit and listen too if he had the time..

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
just came back from instruction day at Pocono, co-sponsored by Roush. Took my daily driver,727R and was scared to death. All I did was adjust air pressure and really punished the car, rear rotors were " blue" and while my car was completely stock, I had a great and safe day. New respect to all you track guys! New slotted rear rotors coming and better brake fluid and lines, and a more comfortable helmet ( borrowed one)
I thank all you guys for the mentioned ideas...they are GREAT !... Stay well and safe.

David Hester

Established Member
Scared to death is not a bad thing. Counteracts the adrenalin and testosterone sometimes. Road racing, if I don't scare myself at least once per race, I know I'm not trying hard enough.
Dragon Tail is known worldwide. Living down the road, I guess I take it for granted. 11 miles of twisty with 30 mph speed limit, enforced by county and state(s) Tennessee and North Carolina. Still if you maintain 30 it is plenty fun.
Sort of like a 11 mile autocross. The parkway is more open, but I think most of it is posted 45 or 55.

Just about any time of year is good. Early in the day, mid week is probably best time. Fall you have lots of leaves and pine needles- slippery! We up there last in October, I think. Leaves start falling late October/ early November.

Last edited:

David Hester

Established Member
Capt'n
What pads are you using? If you still have stock, you may just want to go to a more aggressive pad for track days. The stock pads are marginal at best.
I had Hawk HP+ on the Cobra and they worked fairly well. Noisey on the street and sort of hard on rotors. I've got a set of HPS's to put on the Roush 1st chance I get. ( I've got the stock GT brakes, MAN are these pads tiny!! Nice compromise for street/ autoCross/ and some track days (I hope). Better than stock, anyway. I finally swapped my Ford HD (bought it by the case and finally ran out) for Motul RBF 600. Worked great at Nashville Speedway race.
Motul RBF 600 Brake fluid is a fully synthetic fluid that meets and exceeds all DOT4 requirements. This fluid is PERFECT for the performance street driver or the avid track junky. It is ABS system safe and is obviously also safe to use on the sensitive Audi clutch systems! It is recomended that this fluid be changed more frequently than normal DOT4, however, for performance enthusiasts, we are sure that this occurs any ways.

Dry Boiling Point: 593˚F / Wet Boiling Point: 421˚F

Dave

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Glad to hear all went well, Ian. I'm glad you found this place, and took the leap. It's now a long way down, with no end in sight. Enjoy the ride! :banana:

Ken88GT

Established Member
I just ran the tail last weekend in a grand am, lol. Very cool. I did get car-sick, though--I'm a puss.

I will be hitting Mid-Ohio in July or August--I can't wait.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
What is the best time (of the year) to get out there..? i would hate to drive a week out that way from the west coast just to be rained out....

Keep your eye out on the SVT Cobra Mustang Club site. SCMC puts together a Dragon run about once a year or so. I also have a lot of buddies in the Z crowd and they put on a week long "Z Daze" event in that area every April. Mustangs are always welcome.

David Hester

Established Member
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread