how to inspect a used T56?

35thPonyGT

Schwing!
Established Member
hey guys i came across a good deal on craigslist for a t56. im going to look at it tonight and wanted to get a quick run down on what to look for when buying for the Mach 1
comes with a hurt shifter, no bellhousing or harness

now the lackluster details:
- the guy doesnt know much about it because he traded a handgun for it, never ran it in a car
- has tags stating it was rebuilt in '05
- says shifts into all gears and no wiggle in the input shaft

all i can really do is put it into all gears and check the input shaft. considering opening up the front case and inspecting the gears for obvious wear

anyone else has any input would be awesome. i hate going into these things completely blind

hotcobra03

Established Member
Good luck with used..

10spl. 26 spl

Are sensors still attached.

Stock shifter

Pivot ball

Clutch fork

There is also a manual you can download see stickys from cobrabob..it might have some info on what to inspect

RichM1983

Established Member
I don't know if you have went or not but just be aware. I have bought a car with a hurt 2-3 and 3-4 syncro and and there isn't a way of knowing that til your driving it. Rowing the gears while the gears aren't turning isn't going to tell you much.

The only real thing you can do is inspect the input and tail shaft for damage and check the case for cracks. If the deal is good enough tho the t-56 can be rebuilt reasonably easy by you if it does have damage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread