How to keep air from getting in Master Cylinder, while having brake calipers off?

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Guys,
Looking for a little input as I have heard about the horror stories of getting air in the master cylinder and then paying ford to pump it out with their machine. This is NOT an option for me.

I plan to send my stock front brake calipers to blkGT500nCA in Cali to have them professionally powder coated and rebuilt. Any advice on keeping the fluid in the lines and the master cylinder from running dry?
Should I use clamps? (I have read that it's not good to clamp a pressure line for extended time)

Also, any tips on disconnecting the calipers. I have changed pads before but never removed calipers and brackets.

Thanks for your time:beer::rockon:

Ukfox89

Established Member
don't see a way its not happening. even if you clamp the line, there will be fluid lost, and then you will have to fill the calipers back up with fluid. so there mist likely will be a void either way. I have bleed the brakes on 2 of my previous mustangs and never had an issue. obviously make sure you put the correct caliper back on each side, but I don't see why it shoul dbe an issue. clutchs on nissans are the worse. almost impossible to get the air out

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
don't see a way its not happening. even if you clamp the line, there will be fluid lost, and then you will have to fill the calipers back up with fluid. so there mist likely will be a void either way. I have bleed the brakes on 2 of my previous mustangs and never had an issue. obviously make sure you put the correct caliper back on each side, but I don't see why it shoul dbe an issue. clutchs on nissans are the worse. almost impossible to get the air out

Thanks for the input. I feel comfortable bleeding the brakes I'm just more concerned with the master cylinder getting air in it

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Thanks for the input. I feel comfortable bleeding the brakes I'm just more concerned with the master cylinder getting air in it

You can disconnect the flexible rubber line from the hard line on the body, then cap the hard line. The piece I'm talking about comes with any high quality aftermarket SS line kit to prevent the very thing you are worried about. Contact Stoptech and see if they can send you 2 rubber caps. MM might be of help, but they source their lines from stoptech, so better to start at the source if you ask me.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Ive had my brake calipers off for months now........ I'm just going to bleed the brakes and call it one. I do have a motive power bleeder which makes it very easy. Just remember to do them in the correct order finishing at the MC and you should be good.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
You can disconnect the flexible rubber line from the hard line on the body, then cap the hard line. The piece I'm talking about comes with any high quality aftermarket SS line kit to prevent the very thing you are worried about. Contact Stoptech and see if they can send you 2 rubber caps. MM might be of help, but they source their lines from stoptech, so better to start at the source if you ask me.

So to clarify. You are telling me to disconnect the caliper and rubber hose together, and just cap the metal line on the frame to keep fluid from coming out?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Yes, I believe he's talking about capping it off where the flex line connects to the hard line. Good time to get some SS line Joe.

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
I had this problem. Took my front brake caliper off to have powder coated (a week) and just left the brake fluid lines leak on the ground. I had to bleed the master cylinder. It just took a little while to bleed them.

funtruck

I Hate Mustangs
Established Member
Same here. I actually couldn't get them bled all the way. I had the car on a trailer ready to go to the dealer and pay the big bucks to have them bleed it. Instead I borrowd a friends Motive Power Bleeder and that did the trick. I bought one the next day with a master cylinder cap for every car I own.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

+1

I just did a stoptech rotor/pad/line job on my infiniti and the kit had 2 caps for the hard lines. I was like "gee.....this is awesome....now wtf didn't MM add those to their brake line kit when I did the terminator and made a big mess.." :smmon:

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Same here. I actually couldn't get them bled all the way. I had the car on a trailer ready to go to the dealer and pay the big bucks to have them bleed it. Instead I borrowd a friends Motive Power Bleeder and that did the trick. I bought one the next day with a master cylinder cap for every car I own.

Didn't bleed the air out of the m/s before moving to the calipers? It's not very hard.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Thanks for the input guys.
I went ahead and just put a bolt through the existing banjo bolt to minimize the leak. I topped off my master cylinder as well. I'm going to send the calipers out to Cali tomorrow to get them done. If the master cylinder goes dry, I'm hoping the motive power bleeder will fix it. I just don't want the car to go to the dealer for this!

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Thanks for the input guys.
I went ahead and just put a bolt through the existing banjo bolt to minimize the leak. I topped off my master cylinder as well. I'm going to send the calipers out to Cali tomorrow to get them done. If the master cylinder goes dry, I'm hoping the motive power bleeder will fix it. I just don't want the car to go to the dealer for this!

You don't have too.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Maybe I'm being overly cautious lol, just heard of horror stories with air in the master cylinder. I have speed bleeders on all 4 corners so I'm hoping that's all I need!

snakeraper11b

Established Member
So to clarify. You are telling me to disconnect the caliper and rubber hose together, and just cap the metal line on the frame to keep fluid from coming out?

That's right. I just did the FTBR 14" kit on the front, and my rears are still off awaiting installation of the IRS, again. It's been 3 weeks...MC is at the same level it's been at after I topped it off post line removal.

oldmodman

Established Member
After you have plugged the lines top off the Master Cylinder and check it from time to time. As long as there is plenty of fluid in the Master Cylinder you won't have any air infiltration problems.

Users who are viewing this thread