How to: paint your brake calipers.

1967eleanor

factory spoiler delete yo
Established Member
I have had alot of people asking me how i did my calipers so i figured id make a how to.

First thing i did was obv jack up the car and remove the wheels you dont have to do them all at once but i did the back then the front. i had a 90 deg air grinder, just a small one does the trick well. i started by spraying them down with some carb/brake cleaner. then i started sanding ,just take your time. the more time you spend sanding and the smoother it is, the better it will look in the end.then i once again prayed them down with carb cleaner. now comes the paint, i highly recomend the duplicolor kit, you can get it at any local auto store. Its a ceramic paint so its thicker and more durable then just engine rattle can paint. If your carefull there is no need to mask anything off, and if you get some on the rotors, no sweat it will come off the first time you hit the brakes. apply the coats evenly and try to make them as smooth as possible just dont get too carried away or the paint will dry too much and youll be left with bad brush strokes. i did a coat on one side, then went to the other side and did that, let it dry for about 5-10 mins and repeat. i did about 3 coats and mine came out like glass, this is where the sanding comes into play. repeat the steps for the front. then after the final coat has dried for about 20-30 mins take a razor blade and carefully scrape the paint off the COBRA. then let it dry over nightor at least 3-4 hours then take some 400 grit sand paper and polish the letters up. then carefull install the wheels and your DONE! mine took me about 5 hours from start to finnish, taking my time.

Before:
cobra008tl2.jpg

cobra081ej2.jpg

After:
cobra077sv4.jpg

cobra082cb3.jpg

cobra083ch9.jpg

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
nice job and nice car! I just to go to college near latham ny. I went to RPI I live in Binghamton now. If you are ever going to be in the area give me a pm. We have a get together on saturdays at the local strip mall.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
Looks great.. Mine are red right now but I want them black!! I will get around to this next summer...

What rotors are those?? They look great

Users who are viewing this thread