How to put a Twin Screw Supercharger on an 01 Cobra

LetsBoost

I want to supercharge my mustang, don't want a centrifugal. Love the look of Twin Screws. I know you can put one on the 99-01 Cobra, but I know I need to do a little modifying. What exactly do I need to do?

gt347mustang

Established Member
I want to supercharge my mustang, don't want a centrifugal. Love the look of Twin Screws. I know you can put one on the 99-01 Cobra, but I know I need to do a little modifying. What exactly do I need to do?

You put a for sale ad up with your car listed and find an 03/04 cobra to buy. Simple as that.

SilverNotch

Established Member
Don't sell your cobra I have an 01 and I'll be doing an eaton swap. My car is all paid for so it's not bad. Find someone that's going turbo and you may be able to work out a trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98_Undertaker

Established Member
Unless you find a used 99/01 2.1 Kenne Bell you have to do the eaton swap. But in order for the car to handle anything over 450ish for any length of time the engine needs to be built.

jerryr

You have to forge all of the engines internals. eventually you'll spin a bearing or blow it up. Im going thru this now. I want forced but I need to do it right or all the hard work will be down the drain. If you have the time and know how then do it up but buying a 03/04 is the easiest way. Buying a 03/04 engine is another idea I'm trying to work out! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
You have to forge all of the engines internals.

No you don't. It depends on what you want the car to do and how much power you intend to make. The SC Harley trucks and the 2nd gen Lightning were not forged. If you stay conservative with the power level and have a good tune, you will last a long time. Spinning a bearing has NOTHING to do with the manufacturing process of the rods or pistons.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Either buy a 03/04 complete drivetrain or just sell your car and buy an 03/04. Anything less and you will end up spending just as much money and have a lesser final product.

jerryr

No you don't. It depends on what you want the car to do and how much power you intend to make. The SC Harley trucks and the 2nd gen Lightning were not forged. If you stay conservative with the power level and have a good tune, you will last a long time. Spinning a bearing has NOTHING to do with the manufacturing process of the rods or pistons.

Wanna bet?

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I've 440 rwhp on the stock long block for 5 years and it's been fine. I don't see how the extra power would cause you to spin a bearing.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Wanna bet?

Sure. Not that post count or join date means a whole lot but, I've been on this site for 10 years, and on the corral for even longer. I remember the first guys doing Eaton swaps and the first guys to get KB kits, which were basically an Eaton swap with their blower and pulley drive set up. The stock bottom end can handle more power than you can realistically use on the street and definitely enough to get you in trouble. I'm waiting to hear how the material properties of the pistons and rods would cause you to wipe a bearing. :rolleyes:

nfamous

Established Member
Sure. Not that post count or join date means a whole lot but, I've been on this site for 10 years, and on the corral for even longer. I remember the first guys doing Eaton swaps and the first guys to get KB kits, which were basically an Eaton swap with their blower and pulley drive set up. The stock bottom end can handle more power than you can realistically use on the street and definitely enough to get you in trouble. I'm waiting to hear how the material properties of the pistons and rods would cause you to wipe a bearing. :rolleyes:
Lmao really how many 01 cobras have you modified to know these bottom ends can handle more than enough power for the street I pushed my stock bottom end to the limits I know what they can handle so do others hence we know what is ok and what's a time bomb maybe you should read more.

nfamous

Established Member
It's what they do at that horsepower burn up bearings the composite rods breaks the pistons break or burn up if ran to lean they were not built to handle that much hell I had 550 ya it took it for a minute

nfamous

Established Member
Lmao really how many 01 cobras have you modified to know these bottom ends can handle more than enough power for the street I pushed my stock bottom end to the limits I know what they can handle so do others hence we know what is ok and what's a time bomb maybe you should read more.
Didn't realize you were talking about lightnings my bad .

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I have a 99, which is the same basic shortblock. I'm the second owner, bought it bone stock in 2002 with 20k miles on it. It has gone from bolt ons, to an H/C/I build, to a big bore stroker. I know these motors inside and out. If you stay below 450 rwhp, the stock short block can last a long time. I used Harley trucks and Lightnings as an example because they were NOT forged from the factory, yet still had the same basic Eaton blower on them.

You still haven't explained how the pistons and rods have anything to do with wiping a bearing.

You know, it's people like you that drive us old guys who have been around a while away from the forums. Look through the stickies, most of the authors don't post anymore. Some moved on to Vettes or other niche cars, but most got tired of the BS.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I pushed my stock engine. Not with an eaton, but with a D1. I managed to crack three pistons in that engine. But the bearings never spun.

Horsepower doesn't kill bearings. High rpm and lack of lubrication kill them. That's why us old timers run 7 quarts of oil. The heads hold a lot of oil up top.

Some people make it for years with boost and conservative tune. Others barely make it to the dyno. Is it absolutely necessary to forge your engine before boost? IMO, no it isn't. But you should plan on it happening at some point. Ideally before you ask for more than it can give.

nfamous

Established Member
Think some how I'm not sure were all on same page I'm sharing my experience with losing bearings and stock rods and pistons being junk and throwing the bearings in the mix also as my experiences not picking fights or arguing over something dumb my motor let go due to a bearing failure but I also learned from that what the culprit was so I guess my claim to bearing failure is from the stupid stock 03 04 oil cooler I can't truly say it was from being at a specific hp but if you would of asked me 4 motors ago I would argue they are junk will see how long this one holds

Users who are viewing this thread