How to quiet your '03/'04 Cobra shifter (other Mustangs, too)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm glad you like the gaskets, Clarence. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, John, I noticed that. I'll be watching for your Cobra once spring rolls around. I'm in the North Haven area once in awhile. Do you know Dave Argentino? He used to do work on my old '03 Cobra.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You're very welcome Brad. It mailed out today. It will be addressed to 'Twisted Hobbys'. :)

Joe5.0

Established Member
Just placed an order, i am in need of one for me 03 cobra with a steeda tri-ax BADLY. Looking forward to the results Bob!

-Joey-

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Ok guys need some pointers. Background on the 03 Cobra, 10k miles with basic bolt on, tob seems to be good and not to loud but it does have a pro-5.0 shifter (not sure if this is where the noise is coming from). Purchase bob's gaskets thinking this would quiet down the shifter/trans wine/gear noise that seems to be resonating. Turns out there was already bob's gaskets from previous owner, which was upsetting since I really know there wasn't going to be any change in sound. Looked as though they were torqued down very tight and they squeezed out so I replace them. Anyway there has to be something else i can do to make it quieter. I'm not sure if there was more rubber or other stock sound deadening material but i would like to try something since its annoying. Has anyone tried removing the springs in side the aftermarket shifters. Is this the man difference between the aftermarkets shifters and the oem ones?

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
Ok guys need some pointers. Background on the 03 Cobra, 10k miles with basic bolt on, tob seems to be good and not to loud but it does have a pro-5.0 shifter (not sure if this is where the noise is coming from). Purchase bob's gaskets thinking this would quiet down the shifter/trans wine/gear noise that seems to be resonating. Turns out there was already bob's gaskets from previous owner, which was upsetting since I really know there wasn't going to be any change in sound. Looked as though they were torqued down very tight and they squeezed out so I replace them. Anyway there has to be something else i can do to make it quieter. I'm not sure if there was more rubber or other stock sound deadening material but i would like to try something since its annoying. Has anyone tried removing the springs in side the aftermarket shifters. Is this the man difference between the aftermarkets shifters and the oem ones?

People claim the MGW shifter is the quietest. You could give it a shot, after that its time to stick some insulation over the shifter area.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Some cars have more transmission related noise that travels into the cabin through the shifter than others. In the majority of cases, my shifter gasket will solve the noise problem. If, however, the noise is louder than normal, additional insulation inside the shifter boot might be needed. Some have lined the inside of the boot with Dynamat with good results. But normally you shouldn't have to go to this extreme.

Lastly, the shifter is not normally the source of the noise. It is a noise conductor, picking up noise from the transmission gear case and carrying it into the cabin. The billet shifter construction allow it to transmit more noise than the stock shifter. Again, though, each car is different as far as noise levels.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Thanks guys, hated the extra noise this pro-5.0 shift setup creates. Purchased a stock shifter and installed it today wow what a difference!!! Night and day. Feels easier to get in to gear too. Don't plan on track racing any time soon but hopefully I can still bang gears lol. Bob your kit works very well with the stock shifter since the stock shifter outer edges hold in the gasket from pushing out.

Wonder how many people left the stock shifter alone:burnout:

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I actually did the same thing you did for a short time. I had installed a Steeda TriAx and was annoyed by the added noise. So I re-installed the stock shifter for a couple of months, but eventually re-installed the TriAx because I preferred the shorter throws.

Glad you liked my shifter gasket kit, Brad. :)

Chipofsc

Established Member
New to the 03 cobra but I have a lot of noise coming from my transmission and not sure if this product will help. Haven't heard much noise from the shifter just gear whine. Or am I hearing shifter noise.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
New to the 03 cobra but I have a lot of noise coming from my transmission and not sure if this product will help. Haven't heard much noise from the shifter just gear whine. Or am I hearing shifter noise.

Read my situation above, you most likely have an after market shifter which equals lower noise in the cabin regardless added shifter gaskets.

Users who are viewing this thread