HP gains from OR X/H pipe with VMP stage 2

Vert

Established Member
I am planning or should I say wanting a little more power and sound from my GT. I already have the VMP stage 2 running 10 lbs, but with all of the stock exhaust . I know I am going to add an offroad cat delete H pipe, but what kind of gains should I expect. I know in NA form around 18, but will I see higher gains than 18 HP. I know my boost will take a hit, but I'm trying to decide if I really want to spend the dough on LT's and do both. I was also wanting to add LCA's and UCA along with dark stars, but LT's would consume some of those funds.

bmyles

Established Member
I am running just cat deletes and it was a decient improvement for the money. I haven't had it on the dyno since but you can feel it.

BSB318

Established Member
I am planning or should I say wanting a little more power and sound from my GT. I already have the VMP stage 2 running 10 lbs, but with all of the stock exhaust . I know I am going to add an offroad cat delete H pipe, but what kind of gains should I expect. I know in NA form around 18, but will I see higher gains than 18 HP. I know my boost will take a hit, but I'm trying to decide if I really want to spend the dough on LT's and do both. I was also wanting to add LCA's and UCA along with dark stars, but LT's would consume some of those funds.

What kind of power are you making at the tire with the VMP stage 2 and full stock exhaust at 10 lbs ?

Is your power #'s on 100% 93 octane or an E85 or race gas mix ?

I may be getting a VMP set up for my 2013 auto so I'm curiuos what to expect

Vert

Established Member
What kind of power are you making at the tire with the VMP stage 2 and full stock exhaust at 10 lbs ?

Is your power #'s on 100% 93 octane or an E85 or race gas mix ?

I may be getting a VMP set up for my 2013 auto so I'm curiuos what to expect
I am running a conservative 93 tune with 82mm pulley. Should be in 570's rwhp. Looking to pick up some HP while lowering my peak boost since it will be flowing better.

cb900f

Established Member
I had a conservative tune before and went to off road x and it picked up 70 hp total. (With the new tune)

82mm pulley at the time.

Last edited:

Vert

Established Member
I had a conservative tune before and went to off road x and it picked up 70 hp total. (With the new tune)

82mm pulley at the time.

Damn, now were talking. I will get a new tune from Justin or I might finally get dyno tune after the install.

usnfenix

GM recall advisor
Established Member

no offense but ive never seen/heard of an 18hp gain from going to ORX/H. the HP gain from switching to ORX/H is minimal, and mostly is a change in exhaust note.

Vert

Established Member
The gain comes from loosing the cats and from what I have read in other threads, stated 16-18 HP.

4VFTW

Established Member
ok so...

Boss IM= no gain
ORX=no gain
Gears=no gain
Shorty Headers= no gain
85mm TB= no gain
CAI= no gain
aluminum D/S= no gain

It must be me pushing the gas pedal harder that got my car from 12.7@111 to 11.31@120

I'm going to start shooting roids into my right leg and go for 9's this year

Vert

Established Member
ok so...

Boss im= no gain
orx=no gain
gears=no gain
shorty headers= no gain
85mm tb= no gain
cai= no gain
aluminum d/s= no gain

it must be me pushing the gas pedal harder that got my car from 12.7@111 to 11.31@120

i'm going to start shooting roids into my right leg and go for 9's this year
lmfao

Rct851

Established Member
It's even funnier when phrased "is it worth it" lol. What the hell is "worth it"?

Sorry OP I don't have results for you but go ahead and make the change and re-tune. Losing boost and gaining HP is good

Vert

Established Member
It's even funnier when phrased "is it worth it" lol. What the hell is "worth it"?

Sorry OP I don't have results for you but go ahead and make the change and re-tune. Losing boost and gaining HP is good
I figured freeing up the exhaust and gaining HP would be a little easier on the motor if thats such a thing with a supercharger.

coyote302

Established Member
My car is n/a and was going 117-118 mph with a tune only....after a converter and cat -delete , mph was in the 120-121 range....so i think there is a 2.5 or 3 mph gain with a ORX/H

Vert

Established Member
What is actually better ?

H pipe or X pipe design ?
HP is about the same +/- 1 or 2 HP. The H pipe is suppose to give more low to mid range tq where the X gives more tq in higher RPM's. From sounds clips, the H is deeper in tone compared to the X.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I have long tubes and a catted X pipe as well as a stage 2 Roush TVS... My tuner recommended the cats for sound & said he hasn't seen a loss of power with the cats on his dyno, or his car... I'd wait till your ready for long tubes

Vert

Established Member
I have long tubes and a catted X pipe as well as a stage 2 Roush TVS... My tuner recommended the cats for sound & said he hasn't seen a loss of power with the cats on his dyno, or his car... I'd wait till your ready for long tubes
Hmmm I find that hard to believe since they are the most restrictive part out of the exhaust. I will have to give Justin at VMP a call and see what they have to say.

usnfenix

GM recall advisor
Established Member
ok so...

Boss IM= no gain
ORX=no gain
Gears=no gain
Shorty Headers= no gain
85mm TB= no gain
CAI= no gain
aluminum D/S= no gain

It must be me pushing the gas pedal harder that got my car from 12.7@111 to 11.31@120

I'm going to start shooting roids into my right leg and go for 9's this year

lol ok never said any of the above didnt provide a gain, my tuner, who is a reputable tuner on this site and whos opinion i trust other than keyboard mechanics, stated he sees very little gains from the ORX/H swap. now i will say that less restriction=less boost and more efficient motor, for those that understand what boost actually is. so in the long run while i dont believe in NA setups an ORX is really that huge a deal, in a boosted application with the cats eliminated and in combination with long tubes i can see the use.

boss intake-gains in upper RPM
ORX-varies on application
gears-obvious not a HP gain, but will see lower ET's.
shorty headers-gains in upper rpm
85mm TB- small gains in low end, but larger in upper rpm
CAI-personally i believe the intake tube is the only part of a CAI giving gains. factory box setup is a better system than drawing from inside the bay.
aluminum D/S-gains wont be in HP, but reduces rotational mass and allows car to rev to high rpm faster.

and everything in the above list works together to achieve a better flowing motor

Last edited:

toomnymods

Established Member
with 93 octane ive seen people hit 620-640 with 82mm pulley with longtubes and o/r x should pick up around 50 rwhp and probably lose half a lb of boost

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Hmmm I find that hard to believe since they are the most restrictive part out of the exhaust. I will have to give Justin at VMP a call and see what they have to say.

I'm just going by what my tuner tells me, and he's been tunning mustangs for over 20+ yrs... His 2011 GT/CS w/ a Roush TVS & spray makes over 800+ WHP with cats & resonators...

The new mustang is a well engineered car...

Users who are viewing this thread