HP #s for VMP 2.3 blower and cams

Soap

Established Member
Do they fix the stupid intake sensor positioning in the port process?

Brett might be able to take care of that for you, although I've never seen an endmill in his shop. I obviously fixed it a long time ago before I ever had the blower ported.

--Joe

IllCobra

Established Member
@SVT_Troy

There are not many people running them, all the cool kids just get big Whipples.

--Joe
Dang, Troy runs a whipple crusher style intake! I didn't even know they made that style intake for the VMP blowers. That thing looks like a monster!

Soap

Established Member
Dang, Troy runs a whipple crusher style intake! I didn't even know they made that style intake for the VMP blowers. That thing looks like a monster!

Yup, Troy has a really well setup car. Crusher uses 123mm MAF housing and 5" intake tube up to the throttle body.

--Joe

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Joe you are too kind.

Joe is right…. Dyno’s don’t mean a bunch to me but I did make 835/775 on the Dyno. I somewhat backed this up with a 9.736 @ 148 6-speed IRS car at 3650lbs race weight.

Stock compression ported heads and Ford GT cams that I degree’d based of John Mihovetz’s recommendations.

So nothing really spectacular with my car in my opinion. I just have a lot of time, and help from guys like Joe, Malcolm, Ed, John and others to help figure out the details…. A ton of trial by error really!

I’ve done all my own work included a amateur hand port to my blower case. Brett at Jokers is who you need to send the blower to. ARP 2k head studs and don’t be afraid to spin it hard 25+psi. I can give some other recommended parts to start off with but unless you just want to open up your wallet, you just run your car and see what it needs from there. Everything depends on your desired outcome.

Going from 750 RWHP to 830 isn’t that big of a deal in my opinion for a street car that isn’t racing. It can be a big deal to make 830 on a 2.3 TVS on a car that races can be a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I do expect my upcoming revision # 1623, still running my self ported 2.3 TVS to be fun. How fun you ask?Only time will tell. I’m sure I’ll be back to square one sorting out problems….

IllCobra

Established Member
Joe you are too kind.

Joe is right…. Dyno’s don’t mean a bunch to me but I did make 835/775 on the Dyno. I somewhat backed this up with a 9.736 @ 148 6-speed IRS car at 3650lbs race weight.

Stock compression ported heads and Ford GT cams that I degree’d based of John Mihovetz’s recommendations.

So nothing really spectacular with my car in my opinion. I just have a lot of time, and help from guys like Joe, Malcolm, Ed, John and others to help figure out the details…. A ton of trial by error really!

I’ve done all my own work included a amateur hand port to my blower case. Brett at Jokers is who you need to send the blower to. ARP 2k head studs and don’t be afraid to spin it hard 25+psi. I can give some other recommended parts to start off with but unless you just want to open up your wallet, you just run your car and see what it needs from there. Everything depends on your desired outcome.

Going from 750 RWHP to 830 isn’t that big of a deal in my opinion for a street car that isn’t racing. It can be a big deal to make 830 on a 2.3 TVS on a car that races can be a big deal.

Very much appreciate your input, Troy!
I for sure want to keep my car a street car with the occasional drag day thrown in there. But when I do race, it will most likely just be hwy runs.

I'll start off with my current mods and what I plan on doing to it this year if all goes well. Not long after I got the car in 2016 it dropped a valve seat and beat up the motor a bit, so that forced me to upgrade the motor a bit before anything else.

Original terminator motor:
--Bored .020 over
--Manley 11cc dish pistons and rings. CR at 9.0:1
--APR 2000 head studs
--ARP everything - mains & sides (as well as new Clevite rod bearings)
--Billet oil pump gears
--DC heads with stock degreed cams (I wish I had the funds to get aftermarket cams at this time)
--Stock rods and crank

--Gen 2 VMP 2.3 blower (3.0 upper stock lower) w/ a Dragon TB & Plenum
--JLT Hight boost cold air intake
--SCT2600 maf
--Mac LT headers, O/R BBK x-pipe, Magnaflow mufflers ( will probably switch to an o/r h-pipe in the future)

Suspension:
--MM IRS Rear Race Grip Package (the best MM offers for our cars)
--CCM subframe connectors
--H&R Race springs
--G-Force axles
--Ford diff cover (I've been thinking about switching to a 93-97 thunderbird iron diff case)
--Stock 3:55 gears
--Hermann custom rear shocks

Currently 04Sleeper tuned on 93 pump

Plans for this year:
-Fore's 1200hp L2 Fuel System
-ID 1050X's
-Metco #4 lower
-Retuned by 04Sleeper for E85
-Sell my T56 and upgrade to a T56 Magnum and go with a Twin Disk

There's also some misc mods I didn't mention.

I would like to get the 2.3 as close to the 800whp range as I can. I would like to go Todd Warren or Kurgan cams in a couple years. But hearing about Jokerz port for the VMP 2.3's has me curious as to how close I can get to 800whp before going cams. How difficult is it to port the 2.3? I figured it would help me if I switch over to a GT500 TB & Plenum and a bigger/better intake like your crusher. It just may take a bit of time getting those parts in the used market since they are no longer made.

Any hints and tips, recommendation on mods, or just how to go about my build. Any info is appreciated.

papajoewill

Established Member
Nice thread and build. Once you complete the fuel system a bigger blower will let it all eat and get you towards your goals a little more comfortably. A 2.3 will get there eventually but may run out of steam or be spun hard to get there.

I saw you comment about my TB and elbow. Let me know if you want to work out a deal for the 2.65 I have for sale. That should save the porting thought you're having now with the 2.3 plus with a built motor you should be able to pulley down more with a 2.65 than with a stock motor and make your goals.

IllCobra

Established Member
Nice thread and build. Once you complete the fuel system a bigger blower will let it all eat and get you towards your goals a little more comfortably. A 2.3 will get there eventually but may run out of steam or be spun hard to get there.

I saw you comment about my TB and elbow. Let me know if you want to work out a deal for the 2.65 I have for sale. That should save the porting thought you're having now with the 2.3 plus with a built motor you should be able to pulley down more with a 2.65 than with a stock motor and make your goals.
Thanks. I would like to go bigger blower but fuel system and magnum w/twin disk take priority. But thanks for reaching out.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Subscribed: Gen 2 TVS blower with stage 2 comp cams on a rebuild in 2018. I’m on E85 as well.

My car on a Mustang Dyno with belt slip, 91 octane at 5400or 5600 made 546 horsepower. Boost dropped to zero. I also had heat soak issues with fuel until I went deadhead return. We never finished tuning or put any more timing to it.

I converted it to E85 and fixed my belt slip issues and had it remote tuned by a fellow member on here. The butt dyno feels pretty good above 2500 rpm.

I plan on getting it on a dyno within the next couple of weeks. Preferably a Mustang Dyno again. Gotta love those heartbreakers, not the people pleasers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IllCobra

Established Member
Subscribed: Gen 2 TVS blower with stage 2 comp cams on a rebuild in 2018. I’m on E85 as well.

My car on a Mustang Dyno with belt slip, 91 octane at 5400or 5600 made 546 horsepower. Boost dropped to zero. I also had heat soak issues with fuel until I went deadhead return. We never finished tuning or put any more timing to it.

I converted it to E85 and fixed my belt slip issues and had it remote tuned by a fellow member on here. The butt dyno feels pretty good above 2500 rpm.

I plan on getting it on a dyno within the next couple of weeks. Preferably a Mustang Dyno again. Gotta love those heartbreakers, not the people pleasers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd be interested in numbers! Are you on a ported gen 2?

papajoewill

Established Member
Thanks. I would like to go bigger blower but fuel system and magnum w/twin disk take priority. But thanks for reaching out.
I understand. I have already purchased the supporting mods (2.97 magnum and twin disc) but was planning to do the blower first and then work around that because it's one of the easier things to swap off off the get go. I plan on keeping everything smooth driving without full WOT rips or gear banging until the other stuff is installed but would rather see lower temps going through the motor even if its babied for a while to test the new components together. I also run an MS3 PNP so I can see a more into what's happening mechanically than just the standard gauge cluster.

IllCobra

Established Member
I understand. I have already purchased the supporting mods (2.97 magnum and twin disc) but was planning to do the blower first and then work around that because it's one of the easier things to swap off off the get go. I plan on keeping everything smooth driving without full WOT rips or gear banging until the other stuff is installed but would rather see lower temps going through the motor even if its babied for a while to test the new components together. I also run an MS3 PNP so I can see a more into what's happening mechanically than just the standard gauge cluster.
So why did you go with a different blower? And why did you go with the 2.97 magnum and not the stock 2.66? Seems like you're going to spin all your power away in first gear with that gear ratio...

Last edited:

papajoewill

Established Member
So why did you go with a different blower? And why did you go with the 2.97 magnum and not the stock 2.66? Seems like you're going to spin all your power away in first gear with that gear ratio...
My motor is hurt right now so I don't have a motor to put the blower on and use unfortunately lol. Dropped a valve seat going to get gas one night. Not even romping it. Another lesson (and motor) burned into me and was a bummer and a half :(. If you question your car's health, get it home on a tow truck and go through it. It will save you money. It's lame but I have to take care of that first before worrying about what blower to put on.

I bought the 2.97 thinking it wouldn't be "that" much different and also I liked the idea of the long 5th and 6th gears being in flat Florida. @98 Saleen Cobra also pointed me in that direction as he used one for a while when his car was still stick .I have an SRA with 3.27s now. Before it was hurt I could get to nearly 60mph with stock gearing in 1st and like the way it felt but I loaded up both gear setups in forza and drove around for a while and the only real difference when playing was 2nd had more room to spin the tires and get ground speed up and the 3rd to 4th dropped the RPM noticeably more than stock but was still pulling hard. Cruising around felt normal. I drove around a lot for a few days virtually and cant say for certain because it is a game but still felt good enough to buy a 2.97 when I saw an ok deal on a new one and was also under the impression the long .50 6th gear was going away.

I don't plan on dragging it hard and even then at 750hp+ 1st gear will probably be spinning with either trans on the street from a dig. I was mostly thinking about running it hard in the roll racing type stuff but even then probably keep it at the 40-140 range. I wouldn't ever try to pull hard in 5th due to the load the 2.97 would create and also being just too fast for the public roads. I have heard both sides of the coin, some guys love it and some hate it and go back to stock gearing. In hindsight I probably should've gone with the 2.66 but maybe it's just buyers remorse since I can't use it or test it out lol. Regardless I do have a brand new 2.97 sitting and waiting. I may try out the 2.97 and if I hate it buy another magnum with stock gearing.

IllCobra

Established Member
My motor is hurt right now so I don't have a motor to put the blower on and use unfortunately lol. Dropped a valve seat going to get gas one night. Not even romping it. Another lesson (and motor) burned into me and was a bummer and a half :(. If you question your car's health, get it home on a tow truck and go through it. It will save you money. It's lame but I have to take care of that first before worrying about what blower to put on.

I bought the 2.97 thinking it wouldn't be "that" much different and also I liked the idea of the long 5th and 6th gears being in flat Florida. @98 Saleen Cobra also pointed me in that direction as he used one for a while when his car was still stick .I have an SRA with 3.27s now. Before it was hurt I could get to nearly 60mph with stock gearing in 1st and like the way it felt but I loaded up both gear setups in forza and drove around for a while and the only real difference when playing was 2nd had more room to spin the tires and get ground speed up and the 3rd to 4th dropped the RPM noticeably more than stock but was still pulling hard. Cruising around felt normal. I drove around a lot for a few days virtually and cant say for certain because it is a game but still felt good enough to buy a 2.97 when I saw an ok deal on a new one and was also under the impression the long .50 6th gear was going away.

I don't plan on dragging it hard and even then at 750hp+ 1st gear will probably be spinning with either trans on the street from a dig. I was mostly thinking about running it hard in the roll racing type stuff but even then probably keep it at the 40-140 range. I wouldn't ever try to pull hard in 5th due to the load the 2.97 would create and also being just too fast for the public roads. I have heard both sides of the coin, some guys love it and some hate it and go back to stock gearing. In hindsight I probably should've gone with the 2.66 but maybe it's just buyers remorse since I can't use it or test it out lol. Regardless I do have a brand new 2.97 sitting and waiting. I may try out the 2.97 and if I hate it buy another magnum with stock gearing.
Same thing happened to my 60k mile motor. Dropped the valve seat to cylinder #7 or #8. No warning at all, in fact I was changing the damn coolant. Turned it on to bleed to system and heard a bad sound smh.
But I hope you like the new trans. You planning on going with another VMP blower or do you think you will be going Whipple?

papajoewill

Established Member
Same thing happened to my 60k mile motor. Dropped the valve seat to cylinder #7 or #8. No warning at all, in fact I was changing the damn coolant. Turned it on to bleed to system and heard a bad sound smh.
But I hope you like the new trans. You planning on going with another VMP blower or do you think you will be going Whipple?
Ah damn man, so sorry to hear that. Its stuff like that out of the blue that happens but "that's racing". So you do have a built motor now?

Thanks man, a little part of me is actually leaning towards turbos actually. One: due to the trans (3th into 4th would be a rocket ship with the 2.97) and two: my car is real a bullitt filled with cobra guts so if I have to cut it up or mod like that I cringe less it not being an actual terminator. I'm not in a rush to get rid of the VMP but know its worth so I'm trying to recoup and put some of that into the motor I didn't think I needed. So happy I didn't put any miles on it due to my own circumstances. If I stay supercharged I think I will stay VMP. Unless you are planning to make actual four digit numbers consistently at a drag strip, a Gen3 is plenty for the streets and average cobra and way better than the stock eaton by far based on effeciency alone. The Gen3 and Gen3R share the same rotors but a different case so not really crazy different. I've had a good experience with their guys overall and like the products so think I would stay with Justin and their team. Also, they're like an hour from me so it's great to be able to roll in person and see the ranch!

@SVT_Troy has an amazing build thread where he just did his coolant cross over delete and I was planning the same or very similar idea instead of clearancing the coolant crossover tube.

IllCobra

Established Member
Ah damn man, so sorry to hear that. Its stuff like that out of the blue that happens but "that's racing". So you do have a built motor now?

Thanks man, a little part of me is actually leaning towards turbos actually. One: due to the trans (3th into 4th would be a rocket ship with the 2.97) and two: my car is real a bullitt filled with cobra guts so if I have to cut it up or mod like that I cringe less it not being an actual terminator. I'm not in a rush to get rid of the VMP but know its worth so I'm trying to recoup and put some of that into the motor I didn't think I needed. So happy I didn't put any miles on it due to my own circumstances. If I stay supercharged I think I will stay VMP. Unless you are planning to make actual four digit numbers consistently at a drag strip, a Gen3 is plenty for the streets and average cobra and way better than the stock eaton by far based on effeciency alone. The Gen3 and Gen3R share the same rotors but a different case so not really crazy different. I've had a good experience with their guys overall and like the products so think I would stay with Justin and their team. Also, they're like an hour from me so it's great to be able to roll in person and see the ranch!

@SVT_Troy has an amazing build thread where he just did his coolant cross over delete and I was planning the same or very similar idea instead of clearancing the coolant crossover tube.
I wouldn't call it built since it's still stock crank, rods, cams. Pistons are the only real upgrade and even there it's they aren't that much stronger/better than stock. I always just say it a little beefed up lol
Yeah, if you want to make big power, turbo is the way to go. I wouldn't want to do that to my cobra though. Rather leave it supercharged.
SVT_Troy has a very impressive build.

Last edited:

papajoewill

Established Member
I wouldn't call it beefed since it's still stock crank, rods, cams. Pistons are the only real upgrade and even there it's they aren't that much stronger/better than stock. I always just say it a little beefed up lol
Yeah, if you want to make big power, turbo is the way to go. I wouldn't want to do that to my cobra though. Rather leave it supercharged.
SVT_Troy has a very impressive build.

Gotcha, my new motor isn’t sleeved or anything like that but definitely has juicer bits to hold everything together.

I understand that. If my car was a true cobra I wouldn’t think to go turbo. And even now because it’s designed around a supercharged platform from the factory I’m having the internal debate of staying with the supercharger or turbos because ease of installation and all that.

If it was a strict drag car it would be turbo for a lot of reasons but I just want something like to cruise in and occasionally pour some gap sauce onto folks in new gen “fast cars”

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

IllCobra

Established Member
Gotcha, my new motor isn’t sleeved or anything like that but definitely has juicer bits to hold everything together.

I understand that. If my car was a true cobra I wouldn’t think to go turbo. And even now because it’s designed around a supercharged platform from the factory I’m having the internal debate of staying with the supercharger or turbos because ease of installation and all that.

If it was a strict drag car it would be turbo for a lot of reasons but I just want something like to cruise in and occasionally pour some gap sauce onto folks in new gen “fast cars”

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
But I am by far looking more forward to switching to E85. Based on everything I've read and seen, that's going to make this car a whole new animal.

Users who are viewing this thread