Hurricane Matthew

Daniel

U.S Naval Power
Established Member
Any of you guys live near where the hurricane might hit? Are you packing things up to leave when the goverment tells you to get the hell out of dodge? I hope everything goes well and maybe the hurricane might change its path of destruction. God bless ya

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Saw a ton of tags from the east coast here today. Guess all hotels are full from that side I heard. I'm on the west coast.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
Looks like we'll dodge this one in my neck of the woods. Still having the celebratory Hurricane party like I normally do before a storm hits.

Been through each one since Hugo.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
I'm in Jacksonville. We are buttoning down the hatches. I'm wing CDO, so I gotta stay. All the birds have left though.

Spudz

Established Member
I'm working in Anchorage Alaska on field assignment, but my house is in Melbourne, which appears to be dead center in the cone right now. Parents went out to install the shutters and all I can do is sit up here and hope the damage isn't too bad. This looks to be a bad one though. It's definitely the worst I can recall hitting the east coast of Florida in my recollection, Andrew aside.

I think there's going to be a lot of power outages and such, since it's been 12 years since the last major hurricane rolled through that area. Hope it's not too bad, all told.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Be safe if you live on the east coast of Florida. I really hope and pray that Matthew will swing enough to the east to reduce its impact.

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
My mom and brother are in Miami and I'm not terribly worried about them, but I'm pretty concerned for my dad and stepmom who live in Port St Lucie. Palm Beach is under mandatory evacuation orders and that's only an hour south of them

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
My wife's friends were in Florida on their honeymoon. They ended it early and flew home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myusername

Established Member
Yea. I'm in Merritt island. I spent the day boarding up the house and picking up the yard. My parents live here too and are staying. We are staying and hoping for the best. There are actually a bunch of people around me staying as well. Other than that it's a ghost town right now.

Kiohtee

Established Member
We should be fine here with the exception of a good bit of rain (and maybe wind too, but nothing like the coast). My mom and one of my sisters, however, live in Myrtle Beach. They're under mandatory evacuation and left yesterday afternoon. They packed with the mindset that they won't have homes when they return. I can't imagine. :(

Kevins89notch

Established Member
lolz

People love to rag on California for liberals/earthquakes/laws, but I can't imagine why people continue to live where hurricanes happen frequently and destroy most of their stuff.

13 years here in Central FL. We had 3 in 04, and that was nothing but wind/rain for several days. Yeah, some roof damage, but that's what insurance is for.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
We just returned from a week vacation in St Pete beach, although not right in the path, it probably would have given us a lot of rain. I'm glad it turned north though, heading out for Mexico in the morning...

spectreman

Established Member
Good Thursday morning to all.
We've been pretty lucky here in SoFla. It's been a while since we've had a serious storm, but Hurricane Matthew is definitely heading towards FL's east coast. It appears that the areas between W. Palm Beach up to Melbourne may be in-waiting for a direct or near-direct hit, and yes, we're dead center of those areas, the Treasure Coast. We're expecting it to hit sometime late this evening and because it's a relatively slow moving storm, then travel on through the night. Heck, even Jacksonville appears to be in its path and that almost never happens. Worse yet, there's a potential that it may circle back around next week for a second go-around- oy vey.

You just never know with these storms where they're gonna make landfall or how strong they're going to be when they do. We're just hoping for the best at this point & expect to see blue sky sometime Friday. We'll assess damage at that point and again, hopefully it'll be minimal other than some inconveniences for a period of time.

We've done all we can to prepare and are as ready as we can be. Thanks to the experiences of so many storms over the last 30+ years, it's not our first time with this dance. I assume we'll lose power sometime this evening so we may be incommunicado for a while.

To my fellow LEO's out there who'll be working this storm, Stay Safe & Stay Dry!
Lee

Users who are viewing this thread