Hydro, Non-Hydro, How do you tell?

Snagmaster

Established Member
I'm modding my Cobra, I need to replace the front lower control arm bushings as the front bushing is deflected around 3/8 inch from center.

I've read that the "Hydro " style bushings are soft in the center portion but how do you tell with the arm on the car?.

I have the rear in the air as I have all parts needed to finish back there but would like to order the front CA bushings now and not have to wait until I pull the arms.

I'm disabled and working on the car puts me in the hurt locker after getting up and down a few times, I spent a awhile inspecting them and I think they are the hydro due to the present deflection with zero indication of dry rot being the reason and the car having only 38,000 on it.

My chassis is still clean and parts are still shiny with zero corrosion and although my front sway bar bushings are dry rotted, also the tire is off and the car is being supported in the center of the K frame which leads me to believe the pressure of the spring forcing down the CA is why the front bushing is defected and may be centered when the car is sitting in the tires.

All I have is a smart phone to get on the net with and after a lot of searching I can't find any pics of the two types, I also can't post pics.

Another question is why do they ask if the original bushings are hydro or not?, is the shell size different between the two or do the replacement bushings differ in durometer because of the original type?

I'd hate to find out I can put non-hydro bushings in hydro style shells and this whole question is an exercise in futility.

I can't seem to find the answer anywhere else, can some one help me before my brain explodes?

And thanks in advance for any replies

cbrown9064

Established Member
I don't want your brain to explode, but can't help you... ;)

Did you call Maximum? Talking to them may be helpful. You might even be able to text who you are talking with a pic.

Snagmaster

Established Member
I got it figured out, all I've heard before was that they were soft in the center of the bushing and that's not really enlightening.

The way to tell is that the rear bushing shell's rear flange can be moved a bit with a screwdriver as it's not fixed to the shell but to the center soft portion of the bushing.

Also the front bushing is a different size in outside diameter on the hydro type, although no dimensions are given, part of my question was as to this as I thought given the lack of info that maybe the aftermarket bushings for the hydro were softer than the non- hydro and they would be the same dimensions otherwise.

A total lack of info out there considering I'm not the first to need that info.

My problem is that on my phone I can't access the search function on this site no matter what I do, I'm sure it's been done to death here but I couldn't dig it out.

Thanks for the reply.

Snagmaster

Established Member
I followed the directions to check the bushings and was no nearer to figuring it out.

But my rear CA bushing is inserted from the rear of the arm, but there's also another concave metal flange at the front, obvious you can't have a fixed flange at both ends so I'm pretty sure it's a. "Hydro".

Then I go back to Maximum Motorsports and see that the ad for the urethane " Non-Hydro " bushings says " Cobras all came with hydro bushings ", the reg and GT's had non-hydro bushings.

Mystery solved after lots of searching and frustration, but there it is.

Last edited:

Snagmaster

Established Member
Actually on MM's website it says that Cobras all came with hydro bushings 1996-2001.

And where is that info?, in the description for the "Non-Hydro" bushings of course and not where it actually should be in the "Hydro" description.

Boggles the mind it does

Snagmaster

Established Member
Just got my new Prothane bushings in the mail, at the top of the installation instructions page it says.

" Hydro type control arm bushings are used on various 96-04 Mustang GT's and ALL 96-04 Mustang Cobras"

You can check the GT's for them by looking at the outer rear flange and taking a small flat blade screwdriver and inserting it between what should be the flange of the shell and the control arm.

If the flange moves separate of the control arm with mild pressure while being pried you do have the Hydro style.

I will also measure the diameter of the openings and post it here as the two types have differing diameters.

This has probably been done to death here but as the search function seems to be dead I'm just trying to save others the PITA I've gone through to know for sure.

Enjoy

IA-SteveB

Established Member
Cars are fun. This reminds me of the first time I changed rear brakes on a Cobra. Advance Auto sold me GT pads, which are thicker. I couldn't get them to fit, obviously. Their system specified the same pads for GT and Cobra. They kept telling me they are the correct ones for Cobra. I had to research it to find out that Cobra's took 14.9mm pads and GTs took 16.8mm pads. I had to order them from O'Reilly because their system specified special pads for Cobras since the rears are vented discs. Yeah, I could have made the GT pads work with a belt sander and measured them with calipers, but I don't roll that way.

Last edited:

Snagmaster

Established Member
Yeah cars are fun, but now you've got me worried, I'm changing all my pads to ceramic along with the huge amount of parts I'm putting on mine.

I hope the fitment charts were correct or I'm not going to be happy, oh well.

My first car was a 1968 Cougar XR-7 with the 335 hp 390, 4 speed toploader and a nine inch rear, you could get parts at K-mart at the time in 1976.

These days it's a little more involved as you know, but I love the fact there's no more Carbs or points or bias plys in my future, I'll never go back........

But I do have a 1928 Model "AA" one ton flatbed and a 1947 Ford Super Deluxe 4 door out in the garage, both restored but I've gone 12 volt on the 47 so I can drive it at night.

I have a hot rod mag from back in the day that states that the emission controls on the new cars (early 70's) would be the death of motorsports.

I'm glad they got it wrong.

Enjoy

Snagmaster

Established Member
I already have them, bought over the last few months, I've got a total of $40 in them as I waited to snag them from owners who didn't use them for one reason or another.

Power Stop 23 series, will get new rotors/kit later, my car only has 38,000 on it so it's just an R&R right now.

I thought about bigger brakes but at my age I'll never go fast enough to need those.

I lost my need for speed awhile back, blowing a front tire at over 100 mph will do that, but I love a car that carves corners

Users who are viewing this thread