I am just sick......

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
It hasn't rained here in over 100 days so it's been quite a while since I had to wash my car. Most of those days have been spent with the top down, so the interior was starting to look like a plowed spud field!! So early yesterday morning, I pulled the car over to the large side of the garage and dug out my cleaning supplies. It was a bit chilly yesterday morning, so I shut the garage door and turned on the heater. I spent a couple of hours spiffying up the interior and called it good. Later, my son came by the house and had to run out to the garage to borrow a tool. He came back and said "c'mere Dad". I followed him to the back of the car and I had missed by a half an inch of getting the car in the garage far enough. The garage door had hit the rear bumper and put a huge gouge down it. I was sick to my stomach. The paint on this car was PERFECT! No door dings, no rock chips, nothing. And now this. I'm sure it's going to run me a good $500 now to get it fixed and painted. But I get sick everytime I go out and see it. I can't believe I didn't check to see if I was in far enough. I ALWAYS do that! Well...almost always I guess....

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Larry: Sounds like you're a perfectionist like me! LOL I know its going to bug you until it's fixed and then you'll probably still look at it and say "Damm, that's not the original paint on the bumper". I always try to rationalize though and say " It could have been worse". That seems to help me accept the aggrivation on getting it fixed. Good luck.

adamz1le28

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
My boss was crying the other day because he closed his garage door on the rear bumper of his Escalade. He was in such a rush to get out of it to smoke a cigarette, he didn't pull it in all the way :nono:

rd04svt

Established Member
Bumper repair

I got tapped in the rear while sitting at a stop light last summer....left perfect indentations of their front license pate & bolts. I took it to the local Ford dealer....they had just recently built a new body shop and I figured it would be as good as any. The service writer told me the best thing was to repair the original bumper because the factory fit was good and he had a guy who could do the job. I agreed....$373. Turns out he was right....can't tell at all. Great color match (yellow) and detail around the bumper lettering. Good luck....

Charles236

Established Member
I had the same experience on the Dodge Intrepid that my wife drives, one of us put the garage door down and snagged the bumper cover. It looked awful, and to make it worse, it was a color that touch up paint has to be specially mixed in order to match. Since we had a couple of other spots that needed some minor body work and touch up, I bit the bullet and had the paint matched. I repaired the damage, resprayed the affected areas, and traded the Intrepid in. We always check our position in the garage now.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
I nudged my Accord with my Cobra and put 2 screw marks in the rear bumper...it was fixed with in 2 days! I know how you feel....it happens, and theres nothing you can do about it :(

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh man, I am so sorry to hear about the damage. But you'll get it fixed and all evidence of the mishap will be gone. I know how upsetting it is when you work so hard to take care of the car. Thankfully it wasn't worse.

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
That does suck, man! When I bought my car, there was one mark on it that I found on the rear bumper. It didnt bother too much because the rest of the car was perfect. I got it back home and a few months afterwards they decided to lay fresh gravel on the roads. TEXAS SUCKS! They lay loose rock on the road mixed with a little tar and expect the cars on the roads to pack it down. No rollers or anything. So I have rock chips out the ass now! So I know how you feel.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Must be contagious with you vert guys. My old vert, now owned by member Whisky City suffered a similar fate recently. "DEATH BY GENIE" On the front bumper. That car was flawless too. :cryying: :nonono: :(

555707_5_full.jpg

Sorry for your suffering.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I just feel so frustrated for being so stupid. It's an easy fix, so I'm not worried about it being "right". As a matter of fact, the rear bumper has that little "bow" in it some of them get from the heat. I would have never had that fixed because it will happen with a new one too, but now I might take it to the dealer and ask them if they will replace it under warranty if I pay to paint it. Sounds like a fair trade to me. We'll see I guess. Otherwise, I'll just pull the bumper and have them fix it for me.

To make matters worse, my wife and I went to my son's in-laws for dinner yesterday. My son was already there when we arrived and when we walked up to the front door, my son looked out and said "I see you drove that beat up pile of junk". Little bastard! It may be a long time before I let him drive it again!

At least it's not as bad as his father-in-law's new 330i Beemer. Brand new car...and some idiot in a pick up backed into the front of it and punched his trailer hitch through the front bumper. Ugly. And the guy drove off....

sbrook15

Established Member
when i put my car away this year it was perfect, until i needed some tools for in the house. garage is small, bumped a shelf a little too hard and knocked a pair of hedge clippers off and put custom gouge marks in the r/r quarter. the wife said are ya gonna get it fixed? i said wait till spring. but i think about it every day. :whine:

SpectorV

Established Member
at least its on a bumper, thats removal and they do not have to paint it on the car (NEVER LET THEM PAINT ON THE CAR EVER!)

I am an OCD perfectionist NUT and my 03's front bumper has bug crap on it... I am going to have to remove it and get it repainted as well as the rear spoiler (thank goodness not the whole trunk) for a little spot on it.

Users who are viewing this thread