I don't get the mindset

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I went to the local 1/8th mile last Friday for the test and tune. Apparently there was a guy running his mouth about how his stone stock STI on E85 was the fastest car there. I missed most of the fun as I was in the staging lanes with my daughter, but apparently he was going off in the stands saying he's never lost, etc. My buddy called him out on it and he tucked tail and ran from what I'm told. Then he proceeded to try and race with no helmet and sandals. He was quickly kicked out of line for that.

Eventually he made three runs. The first was 19 seconds, second was 13 seconds, and the last was 32 seconds. No, that's not a typo. We walked past him on our way back to our vehicles after his last pass and my buddy asked what happened and his response was "that's what happens when you run E85 without a tune, you go slower. I stopped for a second, but decided to let it go. He obviously had no idea what he was talking about. And his car definitely wasn't
on E85

What I don't get is he's in a place where I'd say roughly 80% of the people know what they're talking about. And the other 20% are with those original 80%. Why would you choose to mouth off in front of those people? If he does ever go back he's going to be known as "that guy" forever. I will give him credit though, he stuck to his stupidity until the end.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I've never understood people like that but run into them everywhere over the years.

To think I felt shitty about running bottom 14s in my stock Mach1 first time ever running a manual trans car at the track

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
When the light dropped he barely moved. It was like he popped the clutch and then let the car coast down the track.

This was after he said he was locked in for a race with a gen 2 Lightning that sounded like it had a pretty serious centrifugal set up under the hood. I should've locked him in with my daughter who drives a V6 Stang.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Yup, we got Topper where we work. No matter the story, he's always done more, better, bigger, etc.

We just roll eyes...

One time I was talking with someone and he started with "I've got one better....". I managed to say "of course you do..." before he could continue. The guy I was talking with started busting up. The One Upper just stood there with a confused look on his face.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Had a one-upper in my platoon in the Marines. Me and a buddy would be talking cars and would bring up a Ford or any other make really and this guy would ALWAYS chime in to one up the story with one about a Chevy. I didn't not believe him because he actually does custom fab on classic cars now and has done plenty of cool shit with cars, but you couldn't have a conversation with him about cars unless it was about his Chevys.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A few years back I was at SCSN in Vegas. Was standing in line waiting to register the car and there was a guy there talking smack. He came from Colorado and raced at high altitude. He was going to show everyone what a fast car really was. He was in the same class as I was which was 8.5 O/L. He had a 94 Camaro with a 434 SBC and a Procharger on E85. He went on and on and on. Good lord. Anyway, he spent most of the 4 days there replacing head gaskets. I think he popped the head gaskets 3 times. Anyway on the last day he actually got a fair run in, was not the fastest by far and actually said he should have probably kept his mouth shut until he had a decent pass in the car. Lol.
There is always that guy. And almost without exception they go down if flames.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I once worked with a guy we called the One Upper. Everything you did he's already done and better.
I know a few guys like that. One is a friend that said he could drive a golf ball 300. I said one day years ago, let’s play. Let’s just say my 85 beat his 109. He maybe hit the ball 200. This was years ago. Same guy who had many 300 games bowling. That’s another story.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Some people lie so much that I think they start to believe their own bullshit.

I imagine they do most of their lying to people that don’t know any better… (l make 500hp in my bolt on foxbody etc) So when they run into someone that knows better, they can only stick to their made-up reality.

I’ve only met a couple really bad ones…

Users who are viewing this thread