I don't get the mindset

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I think that people who constantly lie are just trying to find ways to get people to like them because they don’t know any other way how. Like a really poor self esteem issue or something.

quad

Established Member
I went to the local 1/8th mile last Friday for the test and tune. Apparently there was a guy running his mouth about how his stone stock STI on E85 was the fastest car there. I missed most of the fun as I was in the staging lanes with my daughter, but apparently he was going off in the stands saying he's never lost, etc. My buddy called him out on it and he tucked tail and ran from what I'm told. Then he proceeded to try and race with no helmet and sandals. He was quickly kicked out of line for that.

Eventually he made three runs. The first was 19 seconds, second was 13 seconds, and the last was 32 seconds. No, that's not a typo. We walked past him on our way back to our vehicles after his last pass and my buddy asked what happened and his response was "that's what happens when you run E85 without a tune, you go slower. I stopped for a second, but decided to let it go. He obviously had no idea what he was talking about. And his car definitely wasn't
on E85

What I don't get is he's in a place where I'd say roughly 80% of the people know what they're talking about. And the other 20% are with those original 80%. Why would you choose to mouth off in front of those people? If he does ever go back he's going to be known as "that guy" forever. I will give him credit though, he stuck to his stupidity until the end.
That last run of 32 seconds is slower than elementary girls run the 200 meter.

IESA Track & Field Current State Records

robvas

Established Member
Had a couple buddies with WRX's back when they first came out. Some of the owners were annoying. They'd only want to go from a dig and then if they upgraded their turbos they didn't want to race at all because they were afraid of breaking their transmissions...

STI owners were another level. One guy claimed he beat 5 Corvettes but he wouldn't race my LS1 Camaro and one other guy actually came to the strip with us and I beat him in my ****ing IROC running 13.9 he almost cried.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
A small percentage of people are born liars. I once knew a guy who constantly spewed bullshit.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
That's the truth. I worked with two different guys that would constantly lie, so bad you'd get kinda pissed wondering if he thought you were so stupid that you believed him. Sad type of people.

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Given a 4 minute mile, you'd be pretty fast if you could run a 1/8th mile in 32 seconds!

About 14 MPH if my college dropout math is right. You'd be cookin'.

I don't understand people who grew up in the smartphone/Internet era and lie about everything. I have a device in my pocket that allows me to research your BS in seconds.

I can at least understand the boomers who talk about how their shitbox Nova with a truck 350 and a Holley 600 and an "RV cam" was "able to jump Coke cans" 30 years ago. You could just lie and scam people like crazy back in the day, it must have been so much easier. "I used to tape a $20 bill to the dash..." Did ya?

I worked/carpooled with a guy who was a topper. Real sad case too, guy had a heart of gold and was super likeable. He would have been even more likeable without the lies. The wild thing was that every now and again, I'd say like 30% of the time, we'd find out he was telling the truth, and it always blew our minds. Maybe he was being honest about everything and was just the most interesting person in the entire world.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
If I had a nickel for every time I heard a story about someone having a "three fitty with camel hump heads, 3/4 race cam, double pumper that'd jump a coke can, and you could tape a $100 to the dash and tell 'em if they could grab it then they could have it" then I would say "give me five bees for a quarter!" Because back then nickels had bees on 'em. The ferry to Shelbyville only cost a nickel. I had an onion tied to my belt, as was the style at the time...

6.jpg

quad

Established Member
Given a 4 minute mile, you'd be pretty fast if you could run a 1/8th mile in 32 seconds!
A 1/8th mile = around 200 meters. As I posted in the link elementary school girls are running that in around 25-26 seconds. Granted those are the fastest girls. Most people will have a tough time beating 32 seconds untrained lol!

robvas

Established Member
A 1/8th mile = around 200 meters. As I posted in the link elementary school girls are running that in around 25-26 seconds. Granted those are the fastest girls. Most people will have a tough time beating 32 seconds untrained lol!
A sprint is different but most people still probably couldn't do it....lol

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I remember my buddy getting mad at me back in the day when he learned the hard way that his awd had zero advantage over my fox body on a set of Nitto drag radials.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I remember being at the track one night and a guy had a 94 GT with basic bolt-ons. He ran a mid 15 second 1/4 mile his first pass, then he got progressively worse on his next two passes. He slowed down by a full second or more.

He was chatting with his buddies about this as we are in the staging lanes. I just glanced over since he had the hood opened letting the car cool and I noticed he had unhooked the air intake from the throttle body.

I asked the guy when he had took the air intake tube off and he said after his first pass. He wanted to move more air through the engine is what he said. I then explained to him why his car was running like garbage and what a mass air flow meter does…

He put it all back on and was back in the 15’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VegasMichael

Established Member
Whenever I one-up someone I always preclude it by saying, "I have a similar story but only half as good as yours." That way I don't sound like a really obnoxious one-upper.

I have met my share of sheeit talkers like the one OP mentioned. In my younger years I would call them out on it if it was a topic I was knowledgeable about but now I just let it go. I just don't have the energy anymore.

coposrv

Established Member
This is why I don’t spend time in public anymore. Work. Shop. Club. Home.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread