I don't understand the MT82 complaints

Status
Not open for further replies.

konakush

Established Member
Granted, I've only had my car 5 days and I've owned some of the best shifting manual transmissions in this price bracket. I've had an S2000 and an RSX Type-S.

I don't get the sloppy issues in the MT82. My car has 25k miles on it and while not the most accurate shifter I've owned (S2000) it's way better than my VW GTI. Perhaps the PO put in some different trans/diff fluid, shifter bushings, I don't know but I don't understand the issues.

Can someone clarify why, besides "BEKUZ CHINA", the MT82 isn't a good MT?

Too40gawlf

Banned
You've had a Mustang for all of 5 minutes. Based on your other thread, you paid $28K for a car with 23K miles and then got taken for an extended warranty.

The tone of your post is grating on guys who have in all likelihood far more experience with manual trannies than you and have had their share of problems. Maybe you have a good MT-82 or maybe you are in for a surprise, but dont come on here saying you dont understand the criticism of the transmission when you dont know enough to even begin scratching the surface. :rollseyes

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
The mt82 is not bad. Its pretty decent on taking abuse from a heavy car and slot of power. It does need to be properly shifted and treated with some sort of care. I think its pretty good.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
People just like to bitch and complain. Most of the time it is driver error.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Its not a bad trans, some people have lockout issues in high rpm, and clutch pedal sticking at high rpm, those are the mains, other issues are because people cant drive. Treat it good and it will be good to you.

ICU 5.0

Established Member
My only complaint is that it was notchy...That was pretty much solved with a few mods and fluid. But, I agree that it acts different depending on how you drive it. It was too loose for me, stock. I like my shifter like my woman...tight and firm.

PhillyLS1

Established Member
While I agree that much of the complaining is user error. There are some legitimate complaints with this transmission.

MY MT-82 has been good to me, and my gf's MT-82 has had no issues. But the clutch does stick to the floor and it definitely needs some aftermarket help to really help get the car to shift right.

RestoStang67

GO LOBOS!
Established Member
I've added the barton bracket and removed the helper spring which were both big improvements. I occasionally miss 3rd but I have no huge complaints.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Mine is 100% stock. Its a 2010 build to so its one of the first ones. Never had clutch stick to floor. I had a lot of 7800rpm shifts when it was n/a. But I agree that there are people with real issues just lime people with blown stock motors. But its not as common as some people make it out to be.

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
I blew three of them mid gear at 6800-7000 rpm with only 450+ ish hp. Since I put on the magnum I can beat the living hell out of it night and day with no issues (knock on wood). I'm not saying I'm the best driver but I know I can drive the shit out of this car. Mt82 shifts great, feels great and has great gearing just can't handle power plain and simple!!! And I know there are guys making tons of power through them I just wasn't didn't have that luck.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I had a new clutch put in, a new billet aluminum flywheel put in, and a new jpc line upgrade put in the same time i had my Paxton installed, and my transmission has been great. I have to admit I am tempted by the magnum xl but at this time I cant justify the expense when i have a perfectly working mt-82!

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
The remote mounted shifter assembly is the biggets problem with this transmission.

Everything else isn't all that bad.

Jtaugner

Established Member
My buddies MT-82 was pretty notchy and complained that someday's it wouldn't let him into gears. The 13' I test drove wasn't the smoothest either, wasn't a fan of being forced, liked to take it's time to get engaged.

The TR6060 in my previous Vette & Challengers was by the far my favorite so far.

hand-filer

Established Member
I think the factory clutch and shifter are responsible for a lot of the reported issues and failures.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
mine is loud as shit, its all good i have another sitting in the garage for when this one blows up lol. or until i get a auto. driving my mt82 sucks for me b/c i drive a mile or so to work and there is 8 stops and its just annoying.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
9k miles. Bought my car brand new with 30miles on the odo. Never had an issue. I have NO tranny mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread