I got 99 problems and they all happen under boost

99S_V_T

Established Member
October 2013, got my TVS on, had Justin from VMP do my tune, put in brand new plugs and got the car running solid just before the first snow of last year. Then i put it up for winter. over winter i repainted the valve covers.
April of 2014 It's been nice enough long enough that i decide to get ole girl back out and about, fire her up, run down to the gas station and put a fresh tank of 93 in, shake her around a bit to mix in the minuscule amount of gas that sat through winter. Car is purring away, no erratic idle, part throttle is strong, but the second i got on the highway and laid into it the first time it hits boost it sounds like its making some piss poor attempt at a two step, shuttering under load, noticeable loss of power, my car should make 19# and i'm only seeing 14#, AFR is in the basement. So i figured it was the clutch slipping then getting stuck, put a brand new clutch/FW/input shaft in it, break it in, hit it again, same exact shit. Car idles perfect, part throttle is strong, the second the needle goes into the boost section its a shit show. What am I missing here boys? :shrug:

fr03cobra

Established Member
are you runing a return system or stock returnless? What is ur plug gap?

Last edited:

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Could be a number of things. Since it only happens when you mash it, but all other parameters are fine. It sounds like a fuel issue. I'm leaning towards maybe something in the tank.

99S_V_T

Established Member
It goes SUPER rich 10.0-1 and lower (off the gauge)... and boost is 5#'s short of where it should be so i'm thinking its not fuel. if anything im getting to much... Plugs are TR6's and were gapped at .32 and installed. car ran perfect with them like such for a few weeks prior to being put up.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
If your car should be making 19lb's of boost. I would drop the gap a little. I run .028 with 17lbs.

When was the last time you cleaned your MAF?

99S_V_T

Established Member
MAF has not been cleaned this year. its running through a mafia but haven't had issue with either and the drive ability is perfect. honestly it feels like the burn is getting choked out by too much fuel so its getting to much or its not burning what its getting, TR-6's still the go to or has the terminator community moved on to greener pastures?

99S_V_T

Established Member
Also if i slowly bring the RPM's to red line the issue does not appear, only under load/boost and it can happen in 4th at 2500 rpm or 2nd at 6500

cj428mach

Established Member
I think I would look for a boost line unhooked or something. If you had a boost line unhooked it could explain your low boost readings, and extra rich.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I would start by pulling the plugs to see how they look. I would also clean the MAF with actual MAF cleaner and look over every boost line. I''m thinking if you had a boost leak it would not be running well during idle and part throttle but you never know. It could only be leaking under higher boost. I would also disconnect your battery for about 10 mins then reload your tune.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
If your car should be making 19lb's of boost. I would drop the gap a little. I run .028 with 17lbs.

When was the last time you cleaned your MAF?

I agree with closing the gap on the plugs, but not sure if that's his issue. I have mine at .028 as well with tr6's. Car pops at idle but doesn't bother me to much. Tuner said that's do to the tight plug gap.

OP it might be time to do some data logging to see what's going on. What's your fuel setup?

Last edited:

99S_V_T

Established Member
I'm gunna pull the plugs this evening if I have time. Fuel set up is twin GT pumps, dual fpdm, fore hat and 80's

stroked mach

Established Member
I say you have a pump stuck I had one do this last spring when I got it out the pump setup and would not work when I got in it

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Everything good with your belt and tensioner? What's VMP think? Link them up to this thread and maybe they can school us all...

fr03cobra

Established Member
Yea, even though you put some new gas in it. The old gas still has water in it from sitting. Put some gas treatment in and dry up all the water.

HFBPA889

BOOST MAKES ME HAPPY!!!
Established Member
Send VMP a datalog while driving the car at part throttle and WOT. The log should pin point your problem. You're obviously getting enough fuel according to the wideband. I would atleast try to burn the current fuel in the tank and refill. You probably have alot of water in the fuel due to condensation. Water=no burn (spark blowout), hence the extreme rich condition and the car falling on its face.

99S_V_T

Established Member
I ran 3 tanks through it when I broke the new clutch in... Not bad gas. Pulled plugs last night, they look perfect with a tad of white on the ground strap, nothing alarming and they aren't fuel soaked so the plugs were no help. I gotta log it, tonight I will see if I can get a pull.

cj428mach

Established Member
I would clear out the computer and check out your AFR when you first start it cold and its in open loop and see if its close or in the ball park. That should tell you if its something that's happening all the time but Adaptives are hiding it when not WOT or if its a problem that truly only occurs wot.

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
quit playing the guessing game and take it to the most knowledgeable nearby shop...otherwise you end up replacing parts you might not have had too....from my personal experience...

Users who are viewing this thread