I have a differential oil leak...

MCT

Established Member
Took the car out for awhile to enjoy the weekend until I noticed a blueish gray puddle. I decided to park it in other areas to see maybe it's my paranoia, but nope the car is definitely leaking differential oil. It's coming on the left side of the differential cover. I have a Ford Racing Differential Cover. Brand new. Less than 100 miles on it. I had it installed with Royal Purple gear oil a month and a half ago. The problem just started happening today.

Not sure what's going on with the car. Immediately parked it in the garage...may have blew a differential seal. I have the complete FTBR Kit installed as well. I'm hoping it's something simple as maybe one of the bolts weren't tightened hard enough, but after a month and a half and it starts leaking? I doubt it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

olympic

Established Member
Check if it's coming from the breather tube up top. Aftermarket covers are known to blow oil out the breather. Solution is to either run the oil level a little lower or install a catch can.

If you can't identify the exact source of the leak maybe clean everything up and do a short drive so you can see where it's coming from.

MCT

Established Member
Check if it's coming from the breather tube up top. Aftermarket covers are known to blow oil out the breather. Solution is to either run the oil level a little lower or install a catch can.

If you can't identify the exact source of the leak maybe clean everything up and do a short drive so you can see where it's coming from.
Will do just that tomorrow. Thanks man. Kinda nervous to drive the car, and feel as if I should get it towed it to my guy Monday morning. The leak is ridiculously noticeable. A puddle the size of a quarter at least.

Dave.O

Established Member

Start with this
Go to pet store get aquarium tubing and make the breather line longer and higher
Shouldn't need catch can unless you are open tracking
Retorque your bolts on cover
If that doesn't work there are other things to try but it will be more work

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
No reason to panic. Either the bolts need to be retorqued, the vent is pushing it out, or the gasket/gasket sealer failed.
Perfectly safe to drive if it leaves a quarter size mark, and it just happened today.

Liquidsnake

Lok'tar Ogar
Established Member
Did you put any thread sealant on the main cap support studs? I have a the FRPP cover as well and mine has a small seep from the left one...and I even put thread sealant on it.

MCT

Established Member
Is it possible it’s overfilled? Had no idea the Ford Racing Cover only needed 1.5 max quarters. I must have used 3 qts. But this was over a month ago when the cover was installed. So should it really start removing diff oil at this point? If it was overfilled wouldn’t I have seen immediate results from that the minute I started driving it after the new cover was installed?

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
I'll bet it's overfilled, when that happens it will push it out of the vent, if you used RTV to seal the cover and it's leaking retightening the cover bolts won't help.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Is it possible it’s overfilled? Had no idea the Ford Racing Cover only needed 1.5 max quarters. I must have used 3 qts. But this was over a month ago when the cover was installed. So should it really start removing diff oil at this point? If it was overfilled wouldn’t I have seen immediate results from that the minute I started driving it after the new cover was installed?
Yeah. That's way over filled. Last time around I put 1.25 quarts in mine to keep it from spewing. I put 1.5 the time before that and had an issue with it coming out of the vent tube. I would drain it and add less fluid. I'd say just drain the extra but thats kind of hard given the placement of the drain plug.

Users who are viewing this thread