i have oil in the radiator

vitmncya

Established Member
:bash::bash:i have oil in the radiator but dont have any water in the oil pan would this be the oil cooler gone bad its a 1997 cobra and its all stock with 180k on the car and has any one else had this problem also

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
either the oil cooler or the gasket that goes between the cooler and block went bad. Hopefully its just the gasket; I bought mine for $7

vitmncya

Established Member
cool thanks guys i hope i can get it up and going and going to hate flushing the coolant system

vitmncya

Established Member
fill it up and let get hot and drain it over and over again is what im going to do

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
After engine has cooled down-remove the coolant reservoir pressure cap- remove coolant from either drain plug or thermo housing location between the two large hoses under car. Drain, then - closed your source.

Now take plug out of outlet tube fill neck—the black pipe that goes around alt.-put some rages underneath pipe for over flow reasons- get a funnel and start pouring in mixture till the plastic reservoir bottle becomes full-Reinstall the coolant tube fill plug- close everything up- Select max heater and fan speed setting –max ac- position control to discharge air at a/c vent- start engine, feel for hot air at a/c vents- Run engine to normal operating temp- Shut off engine and allow to cool down-recheck the coolant level-fill reservoir to the cold-full level-Than recheck level after one or two occasions of car use-That should do it.

Most cooling issues on these cobra's are due to improper filling of the system. The system needs to be filled and thoroughly "burped" at it's highest point...in this case the coolant crossover tube.

I use a kitchen funnel that I tape to the hole in the crossover tube…….fill it till it gets ¾ full and start the motor and follow procedure…watch the funnel, squeeze the large hoses and air will escape \….turn motor off and keep the funnel with coolant in it till it settles down. Cap the system.

It will burp from that opening many, many times over a 30 min. period. it’s a pain, but quite necessary.

If you don't purge the air, you will have steam pockets and the car will run hot or above what it should be running

In addition I do the following:

When you just drain the system normally there is coolant left in the heater core and Block. The below procedure will provide a better purge.

If you want less mineral deposits (which are caused by regular tap water) cycle a few times, until clear…. Drain/Fill.. Run…Drain/fill. Run…. Drain/Fill run until it run clear with just Distilled water, than add 60% distilled water 40% coolant and 1 bottle Redline water wetter….

It takes longer but it’s worth it!

In 90 to 100 degree weather my guage never goes over the o

If you ever screw up the coolant fill plug the part# is F3LY-8A500-A
you have to order it or have a nut welded to the plug!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread