"I just want to lay on a beach and relax" and other stupid vacations....

Is laying on the beach really a good vacation?

• Yes

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 25 48.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Interesting topic. For my family it really depends on the type of year we've had. The wife and I in our mid to late 20's enjoyed a beach week of doing nothing. This was before the kids. She and I were both working 60+ hours then and trying to set a solid foundation for our retirement future. Since then we've slowed down our work pace and the daily life is a little more comfortable. Now with 3 kids, we tend to be much more active around the vacation location.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Hate the beach deal. Going to St Augustine end of the month for one of my kids wedding. 3 hours of wedding, 5 days of hanging and eating and drinking. Love that place.

Machdup1

Established Member
For every trip, I just tune into what a place has to offer and do what I want. It’s the secret to a good trip.

If the ole lady isn’t into it, she does her thing that day.

If she want to go on a trip somewhere I don’t want to be, she goes and has fun.

If I want to go on a trip that she could care less about, I go by myself and have fun.

snakecharmer

Established Member
Vacations on me involve going somewhere on two wheels and then sit around (preferably on a beach) and doing nothing.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My wife and I were just going over vacation options for this summer. Thought about Kauai HI, Bermuda and Naples, FL. Some locations are alerting travelers that rental cars are hard to guarantee due to the auto shortages from the factory, especially in Kauai. So Kauai, HI is out. Not sure we really want to lounge on a beach for a week, although it IS relaxing and scenic. We more like to explore area attractions. One thing we DID decide on was to do a week in June, and a week in July, rather than two weeks in June. Maybe a week in August. We personally like to split the time to make the most of the summer months. We vary our destinations quite a bit.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
We mix it up. We just did Vegas/Phoenix for a week in October. A lot of hiking and sight seeing.

Next up is Rosemary Beach, Fl for a week in May and then Emerald Isle, NC for a week with the whole family in one of those big houses for a week in August.

Next June will be a 2 week trip to Alaska, can't wait for that one.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
My wife and I were just going over vacation options for this summer. Thought about Kauai HI, Bermuda and Naples, FL. Some locations are alerting travelers that rental cars are hard to guarantee due to the auto shortages from the factory, especially in Kauai. So Kauai, HI is out. Not sure we really want to lounge on a beach for a week, although it IS relaxing and scenic. We more like to explore area attractions. One thing we DID decide on was to do a week in June, and a week in July, rather than two weeks in June. Maybe a week in August. We personally like to split the time to make the most of the summer months. We vary our destinations quite a bit.
My house Bob, only $5K a week. Summer is awesome here.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
Young kids here. Currently in beach stage of life. We enjoy Gulf Shores, AL. It has a great mix over everything. Only spend about an hour or two per day on the sand, the rest of the day is spent exploring or doing other things in town.

Adower

Established Member
My house Bob, only $5K a week. Summer is awesome here.
where is your house?

VegasMichael

Established Member
Lazy beach vacations are good in my book. Hawaii is probably my favorite destination for that, specifically Kauai. Kauai is 'The Garden Isle" and is were most tropical movie scenes are shot (Jurassic Park [they used footage of the storm in the OG film], Tropic Thunder, Hook, F&F Hobbs and Shaw, to name a few). One of my favorite things to do there is the boat rides along the Na Pali coast. It is stunningly beautiful and there are some excellent hiking trails out there too. In the 90s hurricane Iniki unleashed on Kauai, it picked up farm animals and deposited them all over the island so now they have a wild boar issue and wild chickens running around. The Big Island is number 2 for me, I love Volcano national park and exploring the lava tubes was unforgettable.

Other than that lakes and mountains always recharge my batteries, I have a deep love for the Eastern Sierra mountains, my dad and I used to camp and backpack there when I was a kid. I definitely hiked some trails and sat on some boulders that John Muir had been on. Horseshoe Meadows was our favorite spot to enter The Golden Trout Wilderness, and is popular for equestrian adventures too.
Kauai is the best. Been there twice. Jump on a plane in Vegas at 9 AM get there at 2 PM their time and you are drinking in the pool by 3 PM their their time.

Last edited:

Blown 89

Established Member
I thought I was alone in my distain for beach vacations. I can sit in my ass and do nothing at home.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Took awhile to get used to, but we do 3-4 weeks normally.
I'm not about sitting on a beach though. Fortunately my wife dives, so that's what we do. We have plenty of time to not feel rushed and have to fill every minute with something. On top of that, we've been going to the same resort for over 20 years, so we have made several friends there and have plenty to do. I even fixed a dive guides car once.
After diving, grab a bite to eat and talk about the cool things we saw.

**** Biden

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
As a early 20 something I enjoyed the beach and the beach crowd. That was far from relaxing though. More about partying then laying or passing out on the beach. Same old routine, get burt on the first day. Then stay inside during day out at night.
We don't enjoy the boardwalk beaches anymore. We try to go to Ocracoke Island for a week, once a year. There will be times when there will be no humans on the beach. No car rental, just bike rental or golf cart. The island is small, but you can get everywhere on a bike. Fresh seafood, dockside/outside dinning and nice establishment dining. Safe family retreat. However, the hills and mountains along with the woods are our playground. So much more to do, and so much more relaxing when you want it, especially fishing at the pond.
20201021_155534.jpeg
20190915_193504.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S506DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

quad

Established Member
Unless you’re going far far away or spending multiple days driving 1 week is good. I’m good with a lazy day or two in there but I’d like to be out doing something
For me driving is part of the vacation. I like driving through parts of the country and towns I have never seen. Stopping to grab a bite, getting a coffee.

I drove down to Florida with my brother-in-law last year. On the way back we stopped at a Sheetz convenience location. This greatly amused him and he was texting his friends and posting on Facebook. I got a laugh out of it also. We saw a stuck up / snobbish wife and her husband charging their Tesla. They gave us a dirty look when we pulled out of Sheetz with the Nissan Maxima lol!

I prefer that over flying where you're confined to a cabin with minimal scenery change. Sure you can look out of an airplane window but all you see is clouds or just darkness.

clay-davis-wire.gif

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member

Have you been to Bermuda? I would not recommend.

7upstang

Established Member
I would not recommend Naples in the middle of summer.

Kauai however, so worth it. Did you try private car rentals like Toro?

Users who are viewing this thread