I know one of you guys can help find one

Terry Moenich

Established Member
I am looking for a front and rear aluminum bumper reinforcement/ impact bar from a 79 to 86 Mustang. Apparently they came on 4 banger turbo cars including the 79 pace car.

Also I though I saw years ago someone was making aluminum brackets to take the place of the heavy 5 MPH bumper absorbers. Was I dreaming?

Any info on where I can buy any of these would be greatly appreciated.:beer::read:

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
I am looking for a front and rear aluminum bumper reinforcement/ impact bar from a 79 to 86 Mustang. Apparently they came on 4 banger turbo cars including the 79 pace car.

Also I though I saw years ago someone was making aluminum brackets to take the place of the heavy 5 MPH bumper absorbers. Was I dreaming?

Any info on where I can buy any of these would be greatly appreciated.:beer::read:

The alum. bumpers were very hit or miss on the early fox body and could be on just about any engine or body combo.

I have seen the alum brackets that you mentioned. They would be very easy to make if you can weld aluminum or have a shop near you thats qualified. A round piece of tubing with a hole drilled near the end and a flat plate welded to it with 4 holes drilled in it.

Terry Moenich

Established Member
Steeda? I always overlook the obvious. Thanks for the info.

If all else fails I found 304 Stainless has the same density as Chromemoly, so I'll make them from that

SL 1993 R

Established Member
They used to shop up often at the local pick and pull on either the 1979 or 80's models. Take a magnet with you to the wrecking yard for a quick check from the backside.

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member

Called all my aftermarket parts sources in search of the aluminum impact bars and struck out. As mentioned above, you might want to start searching for yards with older Mustangs in them. I know, I know, most have been crushed (at least here in the north east), but it's worth a shot.

Bill S.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member

Not cheap, but appear to be nice, removed, cleaned and ready to install.

79-86 MUSTANG ALUMINUM BUMPER REINFORCEMENTS FRONT REAR:eBay Motors (item 200406975539 end time Dec-16-09 14:44:33 PST)

R

Last edited:

Terry Moenich

Established Member
Thanks Robert, these are a bit pricey. I supposedly have a front one coming for $75.00. While these are rare, I don't think they are highly sought after.

This will be an interesting auction to watch. This might be the same set that was on Corral.net for the same price.

Users who are viewing this thread