!!!I need help!!!

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
Well today i cleaned out the intercooler and swapped in some TR6's gapped at .034 ish. After i connected everything back up and started the truck, there is lots of white smoke coming from the exhaust :eek: Also there is lots of condensation coming out from the tips. And the smoke burns the nose.

What the heck would be causing this??? At idle the A/F is around 14.5-15.0.

Could it be that im not tuned yet for the plugs? Or that maybe all the brake cleaner i cleaned the intercooler with is still present ?

I checked all vaccum lines and I dont think I missed any.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Nazgul

Black Rider
Established Member
What did you use to clean the intercooler? (I'm assuming you mean the part under the blower.) Maybe you got some carb cleaner down the intake.

soniclightning

Established Member
Nazgul said:
What did you use to clean the intercooler? (I'm assuming you mean the part under the blower.) Maybe you got some carb cleaner down the intake.
That sounds like the problem. A spark plug gap of .002 difference isn't gonna cause your truck to smoke. If it makes you feel any better my TR6's are gapped to .032 and it runs perfectly fine.

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
well i used brake cleaner on the intercooler. Do u think there will be harm done if I let it idle until the smoke clears? well hopefully it clears.

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
Well Ill cross my fingers and give it a shot tomorrow. If anyone else has any suggestions please post up. :)

Thanks again every1

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
^^that sounds off to me. brake cleaner evaporates very fast, much like denatured alcohol does. i would think that you'd need a ton of it in there to actually form a pool of it inside the motor.

edit: but if this is the problem, it will go away, given what i stated above. good luck, bud.

morrison_205

Established Member
BlkLightning2K said:
^^that sounds off to me. brake cleaner evaporates very fast, much like denatured alcohol does. i would think that you'd need a ton of it in there to actually form a pool of it inside the motor.

edit: but if this is the problem, it will go away, given what i stated above. good luck, bud.

i would agree. the brake cleaner should evaporate fast,even if there was some in the cooler when you started it up it would really evaporate fast with the suction of the intake on it, unless you installed it dripping wet with cleaner. and your gap on the plugs shouldnt cause a problem.

ecoastkid

Established Member
white smoke usually indicates water...was the intercooler still wet when you put it back in? Did you spill alot of coolent down into the manifold by chance?

.034 is perfect for the 6# pulley your getting.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
I'd go with coolant or water in the intercooler fins. If you use crappy brake clean that has a high amount of water it can sit in there, or if you wash the intercooler after you clean it it will leave some water in the fins.

Drive it today and I'd bet that it will go away quick. Hell, it's probably already gone.

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
Hmm, well I guess ill find out after work today. I didnt spill any coolant or water into the manifold and I must have let the intercooler sit for an hr before mounting it up.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
RIDE THE said:
I'd go with coolant or water in the intercooler fins. If you use crappy brake clean that has a high amount of water it can sit in there, or if you wash the intercooler after you clean it it will leave some water in the fins.

Drive it today and I'd bet that it will go away quick. Hell, it's probably already gone.

im with stooopppiiiddddd

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
Its probably just excess cleaner. Drive it for a few miles and it should go away. If it doesn't go away, I would pressure test the intercooler system and coolant system. It will tell you if there is a leak in system.

morrison_205

Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
Keep an eye on the i/c fluid level if it keeps smoking as well.

oohh yeah could be a leak from the cooler. i was thinking any water/brakeclean would have evaporated and passed very quickly with the intake sucking on it.

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
Keep an eye on the i/c fluid level if it keeps smoking as well.

I hope its not a leak :eek: Could I have Fubar'd it up when cleaning it? Now I can't wait to get off work. FYI im checking this site on my breaks :-D

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
Well today when i started the truck there wasn't as much white smoke. After driving it around the block (easily), it seems like the smoke has cleared..But the exhaust fumes still smell like crap, it stings the nose.

It also appears to be running a little bit richer. At 3/4 throttle the A/F is 11.2-11.4. I assuming this is probably caused by the spark plug difference. Do u think it would ok to drive it easy like this till my tune? Or should i put the stockers back in.

Thanks again
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread