I test drove a '19 Genesis 3.3T G70 today - Impressive!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So the lease on my '16 Edge Sport is up in a few months and I'm checking out a few possible replacements, including a '19 Edge ST. I was leaning heavily to the Edge ST until I read the Motor Trend COTY review on the '19 Genesis G70; specifically the 3.3 liter twin-turbo version with 365hp. 0-60 in 4.6-4.7 seconds got my heart pounding a bit. I was very impressed with what I read in the article. Impressed enough to contact my local Genesis dealer to see if they had a 3.3T G70 (AWD) available for a test drive. I also found out that a loaded Edge ST had a sticker about the same as the 3.3T G70 (Prestige or Sport package). Time for that test drive.

This morning I made an appointment to test drive a 3.3T G70 (AWD). When I entered the Genesis dealership I came face to face with a Havana Red Limited Edition Dynamic 3.3T. Only 400 made as it's a limited edition. I slid into the driver's seat and it felt like the sport bucket Napa leather seat was molded for my body. After some discussion about the G70 model packages, I took the black 3.3T G70 for a spin. It was loaded with luxury features, as expected, but my drive was more focused on how the car drove and felt, since it would be short 15 minute drive. The interior quality overall blew me away, with high quality materials, intuitive controls, 15-speaker audio system, very supportive sport buckets, Brembo brakes on all 4 corners, and much more. The sound isolation was excellent, the 3.3 twin turbo engine (365/376) had plenty of grunt, and the 8-speed transmission shifted flawlessly. The G70 has 5 selectable drive modes. I left the tester in Comfort mode, which felt really good all around. I would expect the Sport mode would be really impressive on twisties.

I will still test drive the '19 Edge ST and a '19 Challenger Scat Pack (very different vehicles), but man, I am so freaking impressed with the 3.3T G70.

Here's a photo of the G70 model (3.3T AWD Sport package) I'm leaning towards. The Sport package comes with black chrome trim. My second choice would be the Prestige package which is about $1,500. cheaper. Soon enough, I will make my vehicle decision. I've got this strong feeling it will be the G70...in Havana Red! We'll see.
2019-genesis-g70-high-resolution-photos.jpg

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
The Scat Pack will be interesting to hear what you think. I get them all the time as a rental. Outside of the interior plastics the exterior is mean and the 392 is a hammer.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
So the lease on my '16 Edge Sport is up in a few months and I'm checking out a few possible replacements, including a '19 Edge ST. I was leaning heavily to the Edge ST until I read the Motor Trend COTY review on the '19 Genesis G70; specifically the 3.3 liter twin-turbo version with 365hp. 0-60 in 4.6-4.7 seconds got my heart pounding a bit. I was very impressed with what I read in the article. Impressed enough to contact my local Genesis dealer to see if they had a 3.3T G70 (AWD) available for a test drive. I also found out that a loaded Edge ST had a sticker about the same as the 3.3T G70 (Prestige or Sport package). Time for that test drive.

This morning I made an appointment to test drive a 3.3T G70 (AWD). When I entered the Genesis dealership I came face to face with a Havana Red Limited Edition Dynamic 3.3T. Only 400 made as it's a limited edition. I slid into the driver's seat and it felt like the sport bucket Napa leather seat was molded for my body. After some discussion about the G70 model packages, I took the black 3.3T G70 for a spin. It was loaded with luxury features, as expected, but my drive was more focused on how the car drove and felt, since it would be short 15 minute drive. The interior quality overall blew me away, with high quality materials, intuitive controls, 15-speaker audio system, very supportive sport buckets, Brembo brakes on all 4 corners, and much more. The sound isolation was excellent, the 3.3 twin turbo engine (365/376) had plenty of grunt, and the 8-speed transmission shifted flawlessly. The G70 has 5 selectable drive modes. I left the tester in Comfort mode, which felt really good all around. I would expect the Sport mode would be really impressive on twisties.

I will still test drive the '19 Edge ST and a '19 Challenger Scat Pack (very different vehicles), but man, I am so freaking impressed with the 3.3T G70.

Here's a photo of the G70 model (3.3T AWD Sport package) I'm leaning towards. The Sport package comes with black chrome trim. My second choice would be the Prestige package which is about $1,500. cheaper. Soon enough, I will make my vehicle decision. I've got this strong feeling it will be the G70...in Havana Red! We'll see.
View attachment 1553332

Wow that thing is HOT!! Do it Bob!

What’s MSRP on that beauty?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BRNG ITT

Established Member
One of the best looking sedans on the road. Definitely a contender in my book.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
I was curious about the G70 when I heard it's available with a manual 6-speed... but only on the turbo 4-cylinder.... or I would have considered looking at the V6 w/ manual transmission option.

To me, on paper, I could save about 10K & just go with an Accord 2.0T Sport in a 6-speed manual option instead....

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Yes I'm still a little skeptical of making Genesis a stand alone brand, But the G70 and 80's are upscale Stingers in quality, feel, and looks
Yeah, would not want them to make the same mistakes as Toyota and Nissan.

OK Bozos, stop clowning around.

BackPressure

Established Member
Premium Member

jrandy

Established Member
I've always been impressed with what Hyundai / Genesis is doing. While I haven't driven one, I've seen a few driving around and they always catch my eye.

I will say, very interesting cars to cross shop. Cross over, 4 door turbo six sedan and two door muscle car.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I've always been impressed with what Hyundai / Genesis is doing. While I haven't driven one, I've seen a few driving around and they always catch my eye.

I will say, very interesting cars to cross shop. Cross over, 4 door turbo six sedan and two door muscle car.
You can get the G80 and G90 with the 5.0 420hp engine. The 80 comes in a sport model too.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Here’s a poorly-written article covering the topic that at least gets the point across: Genesis plans clean break from Hyundai

Genesis is kind of doing what the SRT Viper did. They’re splitting from the parent company to become an independent company. I get the impression they’re trying to become what Lexus is to Toyota.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Its exactly what they are doing for sure. It took Toyota 35 years in the US to establish themselves before they felt comfortable launching the Lexus brand. Theyve built luxury cars for years prior, but always branded as Toyota.

@CobraBob I think it would make a solid choice. While the challenger may look and feel nice...I dont think it will hold a candle to the Genesis in terms of overall quality and refinement.

Users who are viewing this thread