I think I have a big problem!

Lightning Tim

Established Member
I have no idea what it is. I have had a thread earlier about my truck and how it seems to be slow. When I first got the truck I bought it used with 3600 miles on it bone stock. I took it to the track that week and ran a 9.10 @ 79 mph 1/8 mile. Next week I put on dual flowmasters and ran a 8.88 @ 81 mph. A couple of weeks later I bought a Diablo chip and 90mm MAF and a JL ram air kit, ran it in the 1/4 and the best I got was a 13.7 @ 100. That time I though was pretty sad but I took it as a chip problem. So I bought a JDM chip,calibrated for the 90mm MAF, oil breather cap, Borla catback, JL ram air kit. Took it to the track with ET streets and the best I got was a 13.8 @ 100. My friends and I new something was very wrong. I was on the race program with race fuel. Here is a few things I think that could be wrong. I bought this race fuel and specified for unleaded since I still have cats, but I think I got leaded. Could this cause a massive loss of power? One second in the 1/4ers worth? I have been running this 112 for almost a week now. Could it be that clogged up?

The second thing is when the truck tachs out to 3 grand under normal driving there is a knocking sound right at 3 grand until the shift, sometimes I heard it sometimes not. Could it be the motor? I dynoed the Diablo chip and 90mm and the flowmasters on a dynojet to 355 rwhp and 412 torque.

Sorry for the length I am worried I bought a turd, Lightnings with these mods are in the low low 13's on F1s, and high 12s on slicks. I am not new to drag racing, I can drive decent, I also have a blown stang and turn good times with it. Anyone have any answers? This puppy is going back to the dealer ASAP!

99svtlightning

Established Member
I have a few guesses.

1. Race fuel at the track is normally leaded. You can get 98 octane at Sunoco or some tracks that's unleaded.

2. Unplug your boost cutoff.

3. Put the Diablo chip back in and if you hear pinging send it to Johnny Lightning and he'll fix you up.

Lightning Tim

Established Member
Thanks for your reply. ABout the chip, I have the Diablo chip but the chip did detontate so its out and i ordered a JDM chip, and thats whats in there now. I T'ed off the boost cutoff so I am not losing boost, its still there in second gear. Thats whats worrying me, I don't know what it is, its a turd. lol

Users who are viewing this thread