I Think I Want to Change Up Vehicles, Need Opinions

SirShaun

Established Member
I spend way to much in car payments. My 20s were fun, now I'm 30 with a wife and 3 kids. Priorities and usages are changing. I need to downsize the fleet. I know I can get a lot more for my money with current offerings.

Current Fleet:
2007 Corolla - Beater, paid off, probably keeping it till it dies.
2010 GT500 - $616.83/month
2008 F250 - $491.96/month
2010 Durango - $365.42/month

Objective: Save some coin. Potentially let go of the GT500 and F250. I really want the ultimate mod friendly auto daily, something I'll actually use and can justify the cost. I can still take the Corolla/Durango when weather is shit.

My GT500 and F250 sit a lot. Typically if I do go out, I'm with the family in the Durango. Very rarely do I commute the GT500/F250. Basically if I'm not driving it to and from work, it's going to sit a lot.

Currently I have a 160 mile commute to and from, which I currently do twice a week, potentially that could become 5 times a week. Some heavy traffic, so auto it must be.

I've kicked around the idea of turning the GT500/F250 into a Hellcat/C7Z/S550. I think I could live with ~20mpg.

I'm probably going to regret letting go of the GT500, it's going to hurt, but if I can justify the move into a newer, "better" platform, make good power, retain daily comfort, it can fill the void and I can feel accomplished in my choice.

So best recommendation for potential auto 1000+whp 8 second daily? More realistically 9s with bolt ons, 8's with a built motor.

Last edited:

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Personally I could never see myself without a truck but I have a lot of property to deal with.

I would ditch the GT500 and Durango while keeping the F250. Maybe use the cash to pay off the F250 then down the road pick up a nice S550. Some nice ones for sale in our very own market section.

Wouldn't a Hellcat or C7Z put you right back in the car payment jail you're trying to escape?

Recon

Established Member
Ok so you’re wanting to get rid of some cars to escape car payments, yet your replacement vehicle must be 1000rwhp daily capable? Seems kind of counterproductive. But I guess a Hellcat would be the answer or the new Redeye that is coming out.

Pick your poison.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
@SirShaun You gotta do what you gotta do I hear ya.

Personally, Id daily the Corolla till the wheels fell of then fix it. Rinse repeat. Use it for what its for. Its ok to let the toy sit and use it for fun miles. Im dailying my GT500 right now and while fun, I wish I had a 4 cylinder beater to A-B in.

Does the wife drive the Durango? Super Duty?

Do you have any positive equity in the Durango, Super Duty or GT500? Thats going to be the most important question here. If youre upside down, its going to be harder to get out from under them. Doable, but harder.

Youve got 3 car payments. Choose 2 and then formulate a plan to sell the odd vehicle out, whatever it may be. Remember, you can always rent a uhaul if you need a truck. Much harder to rent a supercharged feelings hurter. :D

SirShaun

Established Member
Personally I could never see myself without a truck but I have a lot of property to deal with.

I would ditch the GT500 and Durango while keeping the F250. Maybe use the cash to pay off the F250 then down the road pick up a nice S550. Some nice ones for sale in our very own market section.

Wouldn't a Hellcat or C7Z put you right back in the car payment jail you're trying to escape?

F250 was a impulse buy. It's a beautiful truck, it just had a new fuel system installed, luckily insurance covered it, but the 6.4 has me worried, too many horror stories. It's way more truck than I'll ever need. Maintenance and upkeep for no reason really. Wife was using it occasionally to pickup round bales for her horse, if I wasn't young and dumb at the time, I should have just gotten a F150 XLT. Horse is gone, really just need something to take trash off and pickup shit from lowes/etc now, maybe haul a car, car trailer would be nice.

Get rid of all and lease HC charger is the only option that makes sense in my head. Buy some beater truck for truck needs
I like to mod shit.

@SirShaun You gotta do what you gotta do I hear ya.

Personally, Id daily the Corolla till the wheels fell of then fix it. Rinse repeat. Use it for what its for. Its ok to let the toy sit and use it for fun miles. Im dailying my GT500 right now and while fun, I wish I had a 4 cylinder beater to A-B in.

Does the wife drive the Durango? Super Duty?

Do you have any positive equity in the Durango, Super Duty or GT500? Thats going to be the most important question here. If youre upside down, its going to be harder to get out from under them. Doable, but harder.

Youve got 3 car payments. Choose 2 and then formulate a plan to sell the odd vehicle out, whatever it may be. Remember, you can always rent a uhaul if you need a truck. Much harder to rent a supercharged feelings hurter. :D

Oh yeah Corolla is going to stay in the wind. Citadel Durango has spoiled me though, Heated/Cooled seats, interior is plush. Makes it feel like a long drive in an econobox lol.
Wife dailies the Durango. The truck was our kid hauler, until it just became impractical, lifted 8 inches on 37's, still serves as a backup kid hauler. I've fit all three in the back before. Lifted truck was awesome when we had 2 kids, but getting that third one in the middle is a pain now.
I should be able to turn at least 5k on the truck and 10kish on the GT500. Maybe more, going to start high if I go it. Its a tough decision though.

Letting go of the GT500 is probably the hardest. I've lost my love affair with the truck after the fuel system fiasco. Kind of at the point with the GT500 where I don't want to mod it anymore. E85 isn't readily available near me yet. Looking at needing a fuel system, built motor and auto swap to really accomplish anything in it. The car is to nice to cut up or change much more. 6 speed is fun, but I don't do any road racing, if so plenty of better options for that shit. Skimp on an older vette and have a hell of a road course car. I kind of want to position into an paddle auto/daily friendly/drag setup and down the road maybe get something for corner carving.

Another reason for wanting to make a cut, is, keeping up with tags/titles/inspections/maintenance on 4 cars is a pain in the ass. I dunno, in getting older, it pains me to pay for shit that just sits. If it does sit, it needs to be cheap lol.

I've ran through a few scenarios, and I still don't know what I want to do. So was curious to hear your guys opinions, I'm sure some of you guys have been through some similar situations.
- Newer F150 and a cheaper race car that would be near impossible to daily.
- Keep GT500, lose truck, get a nicer daily like a Fusion/Focus/etc.
- Durango and Hellcat/C7Z/S550.
- Keep all and refinance to see what it shakes out to.

Life is short. I've had a nitrous car. GT500 supercharged. Might be time for some turbskis. I'm itching to experience something else, just don't know what. For those that made the jump from a S197 to an S550, was the change enough to never look back?

I used to think I could be that guy that held on to a car forever and love it the same, but I get bored easily, and this newer shit is tempting.

Last edited:

Machdup1

Established Member
Easy. Buy a C6GS or C6z manual transmission. Forge the motor, cam/springs, exhaust, E85, tires, fuel system, Slap on a D1 and turn up the boost. Basically copy Detoxx’s car, but forge the motor.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Dump the truck, get rid of the GT500, pay off the Durango as fast as possible ( you saving coin and/ or use proceeds from the sold cars).
Now you have two vehicles paid.
Now you have choice.

If you miss your GT500, buy new our used Or
Upgrade your daily driver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
How long would it take to pay off the current fleet?

If your close I would keep paying on them. A car with a title in hand is easier to swallow sitting. It’s also easier to move on to a new toy.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Dump the truck, get rid of the GT500, pay off the Durango as fast as possible ( you saving coin and/ or use proceeds from the sold cars).
Now you have two vehicles paid.
Now you have choice.

If you miss your GT500, buy new our used Or
Upgrade your daily driver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This would be my advice, as well. Also, on the one hand I'm hearing that now that you're in your 30s with a family, your priorities are changing. But then in the same breath you're talking about buying a high dollar vehicle that is more something only you would drive. Unless and until you can afford both a solid family vehicle (like a newer SUV), and a high performance personal car, I would advise you to focus first and foremost on your family needs. You'll have plenty of opportunity down the road for a personal vehicle like Hellcat, newer GT-500, Vette, etc. So save money right away by getting rid of the GT-500 and F-250 since you rarely drive them and you're paying a total of $1,108.79 a month for them, plus insurance, fuel and maintenance.

I don't know your financial situation completely so the advice above is making some assumptions that you're not riding high on the hog. ;)

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Focus on the now and worry about the future later because a lot can change between then and now.

Sell the GT500 and F250 to pay the Durango off. Then start stashing away what you were spending between the three and you'll have a solid down payment for a fun toy when the time is right.

Last edited:

2013GT'ed

Established Member
I just got a Scat pack charger. Fits all 3 kids and is pretty damned fast. Got it with the customer perferred package out the door for 36k. Seen some for less. May be a option man. I have 2 car seats a 10 year old it no problem.

coposrv

Established Member
Dump the truck and gt500, daily the corolla...profit

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread