I think my engine is done :(

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
I've been running my car back and forth to work for the past 3 months or so, and have been so busy I haven't checked the oil. I hear a ticking noise, and less than 100 miles later it shut off, and won't turn back on...seized up. I check the oil, and there's basically nothing showing on the dipstick.

I know I know, I'm an idiot. I've never had a problem with it burning oil in the past, and I've just been so busy I hadn't taken the time to check it. I feel like such a heel.

Anyhow, my question is what now? I'm on a budget, so how do I go about fixing this for the least amount possible? What's wrong with it, and what am I going to need? New valves/pistons? Ballpark figure, what am I looking at to fix it? Is it more economical to just find an 03/04 engine and swap it?

Feel free to poke fun of me, FML :bored:

DRRummel

370HSSV
Established Member
I've been running my car back and forth to work for the past 3 months or so, and have been so busy I haven't checked the oil. I hear a ticking noise, and less than 100 miles later it shut off, and won't turn back on...seized up. I check the oil, and there's basically nothing showing on the dipstick.

I know I know, I'm an idiot. I've never had a problem with it burning oil in the past, and I've just been so busy I hadn't taken the time to check it. I feel like such a heel.

Anyhow, my question is what now? I'm on a budget, so how do I go about fixing this for the least amount possible? What's wrong with it, and what am I going to need? New valves/pistons? Ballpark figure, what am I looking at to fix it? Is it more economical to just find an 03/04 engine and swap it?

That sucks, but you already knew that. Let me know if you need a hand pulling the dead bones apart or droping the new motor in. I have a place and tools if we can do it quickly.

Wiseguy

Established Member
I your lucky you did no crank damage. Can polish the journals, rebearing, and assemble. Depending on mileage do a head job. One member on here got that lucky in a 01 Cobra.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member

I remember that feeling when you find out that your engine is toast :(

Sorry man. If you are on a budget, don't do what I did and build the engine bigger and better than ever lol. Took me almost 2 years to pay it all off...

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
I appreciate the garage/tools offer, but I only do easy stuff, this doesn't sound like something I wanna tackle myself. Who's the guy on here that does work for people and has a garage? I can't remember his sn. If not im going to take it to a friends shop in PA.

TRBO VNM

I remember that feeling when you find out that your engine is toast :(

Sorry man. If you are on a budget, don't do what I did and build the engine bigger and better than ever lol. Took me almost 2 years to pay it all off...

you left out...AND SELL IT. lol

OP, sorry man. that does suck and it happens. so don't beat yourself up too bad. If you were burning oil like that between changes, there was already something wrong with it then.

04yellowcobra

Established Member
That sucks. I dread the day this comes for me! But I would say you better look at spending 5-6k especially if you are not doing the work. And that is with a used engine. Rebuild ... if you are on a budget, I wouldn't even ask how much that is going to be.

TRBO VNM

I actually wasn't burning oil, that's what's weird

And no leaks anywhere? It had to go somewhere. Whats the coolant look like?

That sucks. I dread the day this comes for me! But I would say you better look at spending 5-6k especially if you are not doing the work. And that is with a used engine. Rebuild ... if you are on a budget, I wouldn't even ask how much that is going to be.

yeah, I thought I was on a budget until I got the bill for mine. lol

OP, $$ is going to be hard to determine until it comes apart to see what the damage is. Then you will have some decisions to make.

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
I your lucky you did no crank damage. Can polish the journals, rebearing, and assemble. Depending on mileage do a head job. One member on here got that lucky in a 01 Cobra.

I know the member of which you speak. His screen name (DonkeyTuna) just about sums up his jackassery, haha. As I recall, Mike spun a bearing, but was able to get it back on the road without spending TOO TOO much $ thanks to your help Billy. OP, heres hoping you get lucky with it!

wheelhopper

Established Member
Talk to Jason, TRBO VNM, he has a garage and takes stuff apart and puts them back together. He also has a new baby to pay for.

Hey there is a guy in another thread that is giving a short block away.:poke:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Wish I could offer some help or advice, but I think it's all been covered here. Good luck, I hope it's not too bad.
Who know's how many of us knuckleheads you may have helped.
I'm going out to check my oil now.

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
Talk to Jason, TRBO VNM, he has a garage and takes stuff apart and puts them back together. He also has a new baby to pay for.

Hey there is a guy in another thread that is giving a short block away.:poke:

lol not anymore. you can thanks carlo351 :bash: its not a good shortblock though. but it could make a sweet coffee table one day :)

Last edited:

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
I'm taking it tomorrow probably to a guy up in PA who has a shop. They're going to take the oil pan off and have a look to try to see if they can determine what needs replaced. Pray it's something that won't cost me an arm and a leg :( I'm going to be working a looootttt of OT in the near future I can see.

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
How much do you guys think I could get if I parted out my motor, and dropped that 04 motor in? How much is my tranny worth? I'm thinking that may be the cheapest/best route.

Users who are viewing this thread