I would rather have a spare tire.

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
I just recieved my first flat tire in the Five O saturday. I had a big bolt in the left rear tire right next to the side wall. I used the tire inflation kit and it worked pretty well. My only problem, the bolt fell out and caused the tire to go flat again. I called Ford, they said they would tow it to the dealer, but that wasn't going to do me any good being that it was 11pm on a saturday. I managed to get it to reinflate and it held pressure for about 8 miles then i had the low tire pressure warning again, I pulled over and reinflated the tire once again and was able to drive home.

Having the tire go flat multiple times in one trip makes me really miss having a traditional spare tire and jack. Does ford sell spare's that clear the brembo brakes, and has anyone switched to having a spare tire?

I purchased some aftermarket fix a flat can and some tire plugs just in case I needed it while taking the car to get the tire replaced with a new pzero. I ended up not needing to use the fix a flat but could be a viable option for brembo brake car owners to have a 6 dollar plug kit and an extra bottle of run flat or another ford canister just in case you run into the scenario i was in. Worst case scenario would be having a major blow out only a tow or a the trusty old spare could fix, which leads to ultimately why I want a spare tire kit for the car.:D

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Ive seen a few thread about people not having spares. Mine is the base model with only option automatic tranny and it came with a spare. How do you not have one?

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
All the brembo brake package gt's are installed with the tire mobility kit. My guess is that ford can't fit a large enough spare tire in the trunk compartment without modifying the sheet metal. The wheels are 19 inch and they also have to clear the brembo's. I believe that the GT500's are in the same boat not having a spare as well. The problem with using a smaller spare is A it wont clear the front brakes, or B it could cause damage to the clutches to your rear end.

Grant808

Established Member
Kept the spare from the 'vert I traded in...should work to swap on the rear. If I have a front flat with the Brembo option, I'd just have to swap the front after putting the spare on the rear.

kevinp

Established Member
All cars should come with a spare and jack unless your ruing run flats!

+1

My old M3, Z06 and G8 GT didnt have a spare and just had the goo (no runflats either). It made me sick to watch that Z06 get dragged on a flatbed with 1200 miles on it because the 'mobility' kit didnt work. I could see the Z06 not having a spare, but the G8 was a 'family' car and I had to order the jack/spare/toolkit from Australia before I would take on a long trip - PITA.

My base car came with a jack and spare, I would just what the previous posted said and swap it to the rear if I had a Brembo car, I assume the 18" spare doesnt fit because of the calipers.

Last edited:

pdonket

Established Member
Definitely thankful to have a spare in the trunk myself. Numerous times I've found myself cruising down some really rural roads and it would absolutely suck if you ended up with a blow out or something of that sort and had to call in for a tow when you're going to be waiting a damn long time.

Along with the cheaper tires, yet another perk to driving a car with 18" wheels ;)

Trbo6gn1

Established Member
I am in the same boat. I had a blow out on I95 in New York and ended up having to pay an extra $125 just to get me towed off the freeway to a side street to a place where i could be towed again.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
i have a brembo car. the stock pirellis suck ass. they pick up every stone. so im sure any small nail or bolt will get sucked right through them. I bought a 19 inch mini spare with jack from a guy on here. he bought a new 11 GT with 19inch wheels. i have not tried to clear the brembos with it yet. at least i could drive it somewhere. screw being stuck in the ghetto or middle of no where. waiting 2 hours for a tow.

Users who are viewing this thread