IAT over 140*???

b_dike

Established Member
Just wondering what is the maximum safe IAT we should be seeing is?

The reason I ask is because I had to replace my old jlt cai with the stock tube minus the air box(basically a RAI w/ stock parts), and I was doing some data logging to record the difference. While sitting at the drive tru my temps reached 148*!!!

As soon as I started moving again they quickly fell to around 110/106*
With the cai my temps never got more than 8/10* above the outside air temp.

Btw the temp Monday evening was around 90*

Do you think this could present a problem for the motor/blower in the future? :shrug:

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
It won't present a problem necessarily but the ecu does pulls timing when the iat2 raise above a certain point. Stock, the ecu started pulling timing at anything over 100 but most aftermarket tunes increase that to about 130. Remember the hotter the iat2 the more likely detonation can occur so this is why the ecu pulls timing. When timing is pulled power drops. As long as you don't hammer it when the temps are high and wait for them to come down a bit you should be fine. I switched to a cai for this reason. I hated those really high temps when sitting and then having to wait for them to fall. Many will argue the high temps when sitting are no issue and as long as they come down the rai will give a bit more power on the top end and while driving the cai temps are not much less than the rai.

b_dike

Established Member
Thanks for the knowledge. Is there any way to find out, at what temp the ecu will start pulling timing with an sct handheld?

Problem is I bought the car a year ago and have been slowly working out the kinks as I go.

Have you ever heard of anybody having fitment issues w/ a JLT carbon CAI? Mine will NOT fit inside the fender without pushing against it. Now I have a hole in the fender and the tire was starting to wear against the filter. This is why I have a stock like rai...

I'd expect the IAT2s to go high when you're just idling in 90F heat, just like I'd expect the coolant temps to rise in the same kind of conditions. Once you got moving your IAT2s fell to where they are supposed to so I don't see there being any issue here.

b_dike

Established Member
I'd expect the IAT2s to go high when you're just idling in 90F heat, just like I'd expect the coolant temps to rise in the same kind of conditions. Once you got moving your IAT2s fell to where they are supposed to so I don't see there being any issue here.

Thanks for the reply... Fyi my coolant only got to 186. Mostly cause I have a 170* t-stat, with fan settings at 182/186...

racebronco2

Established Member
I found out that the ait1's have very little effect on the ait2's. I have the jlt cai and idling my ait1's will go up quickly and the ait2's do go up slowly. It raises the ait2's by about the the difference.

The Ford strategy will start pulling timing at 150* (retards it 4*)according to the sct tuner's manual. My experience is once you do go over the 150* it will still pull timing as low as 100*. No sure what triggers the ecu to pull timing in the lower temps.

Users who are viewing this thread