Ideas for building a home needed ....

nickf2005

Established Member
Man there is some good ideas for sure in here, I really appreciate it guys, Now i need to make sure I don't go too far over budget
Good luck with that...

We had a coming to Jesus meeting after the initial quote. We cut nearly $100,000 out of the budget before the first hole was dug. Big item was putting off the finished basement. We barely use the all the space above ground at the moment, so not much lost. Change in family plans kind of led to that though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

coposrv

Established Member
run wiring for hut tub...if you think you may get one, at min make sure your electrical is prepped for the added load.

Really sit down and look at all electrical layout, as if anything is ever added in my house its always electrical crap..

Yup. Can’t tell you how many times once owners move into a spec I wire we come back to add all sorts of crap. Talk to your architect about your electrical wants before the electrician starts the rough. It will save you huge money down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

4stang6

Established Member
Quick update guys, We started the building process, Currently framed and plumbing being routed.

Wanted to get everyones opinions on Vaulting the Ceiling in the Living room.
How much can it affect my HVAC and Electric bill?
Anyone ?

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Didn't catch all the comments but seen a few good ones.
Carpet....lol.....Epoxy the garage before you move in...paint garage before you move in. Sink is a must as previously mentioned and bigger the better. Don't skimp on the kitchen for sure. Have a man cave somewhere ;)

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Right, Just really concerned on how it will be on cooling and heating.
I hear it can really change how much the unit operates.
I have 8’ in most of my house except the family room and dining room. Have almost 2,400 under air, and am on a 18 year old Trane 14 seer. My highest bill was about $125. Mind you, I have gone out of my way to save energy. Hot water tank is on a time clock, all LED bulbs, VS pool pump. We aren’t home all day, so the T-Stat for the AC is set accordingly.
Also have two refrigerators, and one of those is in the garage.
You see where I live.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Big savings Jerry. Mine turns on at 4am and off at 7am. Plenty of hot water for dishes, etc.

so its off from 7am and you're still good for showers at night? I really just need to take my shower somewhere between 6:30 - 9 at night and enough warm water to stick my head under the faucet in the morning

Machdup1

Established Member
High ceilings in garage

Thicker concrete in garage that supports two post lift.

Garage doors that do not interfere with lift.

One 220v outlet in garage to support various equipment.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
so its off from 7am and you're still good for showers at night? I really just need to take my shower somewhere between 6:30 - 9 at night and enough warm water to stick my head under the faucet in the morning
We shower in the morning, but after yard work on Sat and Sundays still plenty around 12-1:00. Also, still plenty to do the dishes around 7PM.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
only thing i'm pissed about is my garage needs WAY more electrical outlets. Put one every 4 feet all the way around. I'm not kidding.

That's a tad much.

Previous owner did that in my garage. Ran it through conduit, and ran dedicated wires/circuits with GFI's. I have 4 breakers just for the garage. Most are the larger wiring/amps so the welder doesn't tax it.

Also have a dedicated 220v plug/wiring/breaker too. Not sure I would go out of my way to install all of this, but damn it is really nice. I have a fleet of wall mounted chargers, shop vac, fans, etc and I still have plenty of outlets.

4stang6

Established Member
Quick update.... Home is scheduled to be completed around mid January!!!
The picture is the current status of it !
vwAuTYeibcpr1R1z6

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
only thing i'm pissed about is my garage needs WAY more electrical outlets. Put one every 4 feet all the way around. I'm not kidding.
I agree 100%. I moved into a new home a couple weeks ago and I was temporarily setting up my security system the other day and in my entire 3 car garage, there's only one mother trucking outlet on the wall... Instead, I used the garage door opener outlet for now, but will be having my cousin wire another outlet in at some point.

Quick update.... Home is scheduled to be completed around mid January!!!
The picture is the current status of it !
vwAuTYeibcpr1R1z6
Try again since it's not working!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
are you trying to share from dropbox? I dont think theres any way to make that work. Either upload directly on a laptop/desktop or use tapatalk or something on a phone

Users who are viewing this thread