Identifty theft just heppend to me.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Ok so I just found out someone has my SS# name address and has been opening phone accounts. So far AT&T was the only one to confirm for sure that they were successful. I pulled my 3 credit reports and saw they also have inquiries from Nextel/Sprint and some company called nTelos. I am waiting to hear back from their fraud departments to see if they were successful. Ntelos verified there is an account there with my social but the addresses were different. The first credit inquiry was on the 19th of January and there have been 3 more. Two for the Ntelos company.

I found all this out because I got a bill in the mail for $554 bucks from AT&T. I have filed a police report and waiting for them to generate a number. I have a lock on my TransUnion credit report check, but need the police report to file the others or else pay more money which I may do. I have to figure out my options. I called my bank and nothing fishy there so far. I will be calling all my credit cards very soon as well and getting alerts put on.

What else can I do and what am I doing wring if anything. I am also thinking about Lifelock or something to protect myself for the next forever.
I put alerts on all my credit cards and wife is doing the same just in case.

Also it looks like they are setting up only phone accounts and not actually purchasing phones. Anyone know what the scam is or what they are trying to do?

I HATE ****ING THIEVES! Help me SVTP!!

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Go down to your local SS office and request them to change it. They will then go ahead and prossicute whoever is doing it in a federal case.

xtremeskime21

Established Member
That sucks man. I actually just lost a check that was in an envelope to pay my kids preschool tuition. I'm a bit nervous about that and don't know what to do. It was only for $85 but them seeing the acct #, routing #, name, (old) address kind of bothers me.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Go down to your local SS office and request them to change it. They will then go ahead and prossicute whoever is doing it in a federal case.

I did not even think about that, but I guess that is what I have to do. Bastards will have created one giant headache in my life transferring all my stuff over to the new SS number.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Established Member
I did not even think about that, but I guess that is what I have to do. Bastards will have created one giant headache in my life transferring all my stuff over to the new SS number.

My mother had to do that. Some asshole created a bill me later account with her information and charged over $15,000 to it and she didnt even know till she got a bill from them 6 months later. If they have your social I would URGE you to call up bill me later and have them red flag you so no one can do that to you.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
I do not believe you can change your social it is a forever number. Your problem lays elsewhere in the finacial world.

Fuerza

Established Member
I would pay the fee to lock down the CRA's. That way they can't continue to open things, granted they may be notified and waiting on the police report I wouldn't wait.

usmcsvtwannabe

Not a noob
Established Member
Dad got hit pretty hard a couple years ago, they got his stuff when we went to a ihop for breakfest....by dinner time they bought $15000 worth of meat from piggly wiggly, a new grill, and a hot tub. It was ****ing weird but the police got them, assholes used their home address for the delivery

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
lifelock is a joke.

Call all 3 bullshit companies and have them place a credit freeze. Or see if your bank has a program.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Established Member
I do not believe you can change your social it is a forever number. Your problem lays elsewhere in the finacial world.

Ughh...no. You can easily go to the SS office and change it if your social has been compromised. They will require you to sign an affidavit stating you had nothing to do with it and then the FBI gets involved. My mother had her social changes and she has lifelock now and no problems.

ff500

Established Member
I have a fraud alert that renews every 90 days with all 3 credit agencies. I also have equifax credit monitoring which notifies me of any changes including inquiries, balance increases/decrease.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
id theft

Ughh...no. You can easily go to the SS office and change it if your social has been compromised. They will require you to sign an affidavit stating you had nothing to do with it and then the FBI gets involved. My mother had her social changes and she has lifelock now and no problems.

Was your mother born here or did she get a citizenship not being disrespectful just wondering? It has been my understanding for some time that you only get one-- just wondering

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Yeah I am not sure if I want lifelock or to get the monitoring through one of the credit monitoring companies. I have some research to do I guess.

Virtual why do you not like lifelock? Any real reason?

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I have a fraud alert that renews every 90 days with all 3 credit agencies. I also have equifax credit monitoring which notifies me of any changes including inquiries, balance increases/decrease.

fraud alert will happen as soon as I can get the police report number.

Users who are viewing this thread