Idle problem

ProSport

Established Member
2002 Kenne Bell GT, stick shift, 4.6L, idles fine at 800, drive for 15 min and it idles at 1400. Shut car off, restart and idles back at 800 again. What would cause this? I dont know much about these cars so I havent checked anything yet. Thanks

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
First place to start is always clean your IAC, idk how many cars have idle problems and it's somehow related to it. I'd also check the TPS while your there and clean the throttle body as well.

ProSport

Established Member
I did some Google searching and those 2 things were mentioned quite a bit. Now I just have to locate them in my engine compartment lol. What do they cost in case I need new ones?

Also, does changing these parts effect the tune at all? Thanks

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Your Throttle position sensor is the black sensor on the side of the throttle body. These have been known to go bad and they arent very expensive to replace. The plenum right behind the throttle body has the IAC on the front of it. Just pull the bolts out and it comes off. Id take the throttle body off and pull the IAC off and clean them good with some throttle body cleaner (auto parts store)

Both pieces are cheap to replace and readily available online to order. Good luck, let us know if anything changes.

ProSport

Established Member
Ok I bought some throttle body cleaner. So I'm gonna remove the IAC and spray directly inside it both ways, correct?

Do I also spray into the hole on the engine where the IAC unbolted from?

Does the whole throttle body remove easily? Is there anything I should try to NOT get the spray on?

Thanks!

IMAG0341.jpg

ProSport

Established Member
I just removed the IAC and cleaned it with throttle body cleaner, put it back together and car is running perfect!
Maybe this weekend I'll clean the throttle body.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Sorry I missed your other post, but that is definitely awesome to hear man! Glad you got it figured out! :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread