If anyone was debating going with Diablo Tuning over Livernois for their Ecoboost's

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
Had a friendly race with a guy I know who recently purchased a bone stock FX4 2012 White EB F150. He's know about mine and has asked me from time to time about it and finally pulled the trigger on one.

Sorry for the back story but it will make the video better knowing. We meet up when he was stock and I give him a ride in my truck which is a FX2 that is livernois tuned, drop in filter, tstat and down pipes at the time. I drive my truck for work and it's always loaded with about give or take 400-500 lbs of chemicals and equipment for my pool business, which is how my typical encounters happen in the trim. We go for a ride and he's impressed, we do a quick run where he get's the hit so he can see how much of a difference a tuner makes. I tell him what I have and what he should do. Well he decides otherwise and get's a Diablo tuner (nicer tuner for monitoring than the livernois by far and about it) and a gen 2 CAI. Video's are posted below. Last race of us both tuned I give him the slight hit just to make sure I knew what was faster. He's also been beating up on some older Duramaxes and got hosed by my friends LBZ 07 duramax that was everything shy from a built trans and built trans tune.

Him stock getting the hit vs me modded.

[video=youtube;fkhVQEHAX7M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkhVQEHAX7M[/video]

Him tuned vs Me

[video=youtube;6M-VVCqpHOA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M-VVCqpHOA[/video]

Exhaust video from idle, not happy with the sound wot... sounds terrible.

[video=youtube;-shcXOhWqzE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-shcXOhWqzE[/video]

Last edited:

Diablo Mike

Trinity Guy
Authorized Vendor
So, he has an FX4 with a canned tune, and you have an FX2 with downpipes, and a custom tune....and you beat him...what am I missing? Thats pretty much exactly how it should go.

Also, what tune is he running there?
The 87 tune is tuned conservatively for 50 rwhp gains, but the 93 tune is good for a solid 90 rwhp over stock, so its a big difference that you haven't accounted for here.

Either way, good runs :)

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
He's on the 93 tune that is canned / programmed the same as my Livernois tune that was emailed to me without any data logging just listing mods. Neither truck is dyno tuned or street tuned. I will say this, the advertising on the Diablo apparently was better than Livernois or a real world test drive in a Livernois tuned truck because despite all of that he still went with the diablo... Just wanted to post "real world" results vs claimed dyno results that many people like this guy are probably scratching their head after a savage experience like that, down pipes haven't even been tested to show much if any gains, many do them for sound purposes and considering i've never been on a dyno before or after I can't tell you that it's even faster as I don't have a seat of the pants difference when I installed that, if anything it felt a little less torque down in the lower rpms.

Last edited:

blk00gtvert

Established Member
i agree. what octane tune was your buddy running?

EDIT* just saw on 93

down pipes help a lot. plus he has the weight of the 4x4. i think it went exactly how it should. but fwiw the diablo tune DOES make more power.

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
i agree. what octane tune was your buddy running?

EDIT* just saw on 93

down pipes help a lot. plus he has the weight of the 4x4. i think it went exactly how it should. but fwiw the diablo tune DOES make more power.

How much more does the 4x4 weigh? Like I mentioned in my post I was running full weight in my bed with a hammer head vac hanging on the trailer hitch as well in both races, if anything I would guess I weigh the same if not a little more. I know it makes more power on paper and by power I mean peak, real world results hold a little more weight than a dyno sheet. Hell, I might see if this guy will go dyno his truck with me same day same dyno to see what we are both making as well as comparing dyno graphs.

blk00gtvert

Established Member
true i forgot about you having stuff in the bed. would be cool to compare it. but again the downpipes done seem like a fare advantage

ctgreddy

Established Member
Nice runs! Regardless what you hear, I can guarantee nobody has more time invested in ecoboost tunes than livernois. They know what they're doing.

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
Nice runs! Regardless what you hear, I can guarantee nobody has more time invested in ecoboost tunes than livernois. They know what they're doing.

That's sort of my point of this thread, it's been know "new" guys pop up and claim these awesome gains and basically a new mouse trap yet don't have actual track times or real world comparisons to back it up. I wish my buddy would've listened to me and went with what I suggested but the constant beating he will take will be enough to remind him lol.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
Downpipes made a huge difference for midrange power and torque on my ecoboost f150.. If you do an exhaust, get a Full Race or Stainless Works with resonator.. Very quiet and good gains

92GreenGT

Turbos FTW!!!
Established Member
What kind of 1320 times will a 93 tune/downpipes/exhaust/cai(if they help?) aka full bolt on stock turbos truck crew cab 4x4 leaving in 4x4 high at the track see?

Looks like you had fun anyways, nice trucks to the both of you.

blk00gtvert

Established Member
Downpipes made a huge difference for midrange power and torque on my ecoboost f150.. If you do an exhaust, get a Full Race or Stainless Works with resonator.. Very quiet and good gains

That was kind of my point. This comparison is not a fare. What you should do is go to the track. Make 2 runs with your tune. Then make two runs with the Diablo tune. Unless your tune is set up for the down pipes.

Livernoise has been doing ecoboost for awhile. But that doesn't mean someone can't come along and do better. The Diablo tune is more thorough. Changes more things. And is all around better. Plus no footprint incase you need to return to stock ;) lol

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I have no dog in this fight, however, kind of a weird comparison.

Weight in the bed, different drivetrain and different mods.

Joewee500

Established Member
What kind of 1320 times will a 93 tune/downpipes/exhaust/cai(if they help?) aka full bolt on stock turbos truck crew cab 4x4 leaving in 4x4 high at the track see?

Looks like you had fun anyways, nice trucks to the both of you.

Mid/low 13s at 100 with livernois. High 12s with a ragged edge SSI tune. been there, done that.

F8l Vnm

Established Member
Very impressive to say the least. These motors wake up big time with light mods.
Just too bad they sound like shit.

Fast Willy

Established Member
I loved my 2012 fx4 with livernois programmer, catless down pipes and cold air intake. The truck pulled great. Ran a best of 13.2 in FL summer heat with it as well on 35 M/Ts but this was even before the diablo stuff was out. My only complaint at all with the truck was the fact that they just will never sound good at all. I don't care what exhaust goes on it.

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
I loved my 2012 fx4 with livernois programmer, catless down pipes and cold air intake. The truck pulled great. Ran a best of 13.2 in FL summer heat with it as well on 35 M/Ts but this was even before the diablo stuff was out. My only complaint at all with the truck was the fact that they just will never sound good at all. I don't care what exhaust goes on it.

Pretty much my problem, nothing sounds good.

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
2wd v 4wd?....weight difference anyone?

About a wash with the weight in my bed / equipment on my trailer hitch, but we both plan to go to a dyno same day as well as track the trucks when the track opens up.

On a side note I got a chance to test the new tires from a boosted stop with all traction control modes off. The truck straight rolls out, hooks and books which many needed 4x4 to take advantage of. Should be interesting and considering we both use our trucks for work it's just a bonus having a peppy work truck that's as fast if not faster than a bolt on lightning was back in the day.

Users who are viewing this thread