If wrapper 93's are bringing $30K or so? what happened to this one??

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Slow95Cobra said:
i wouldnt wanna drive it for the simple fact of someone running into it. thats a sweet R though man

At least with the R's you can still buy parts.

My svo, on the other hand, you cannot buy many replacements parts because of no aftermarket.

I have been watching RH marker lights go anywhere from $200-$400. Yes that is for one. Nobody in the world makes a reproduction. Which sucks because both of my markers are faded. So whenever I get done with it and get it painted its going to look like ass compared to the other lights.

If it ever gets wrecked I'll probably slap a 4-eye front end on it

SVT1993

Established Member
I paid $600 for a passengers side marker light for my SVO. Now I have a complete set of 8 lenses (6 front, 2 tail lenses - same as 93 Cobra) for when I paint my car the next time.

Robert M's old NOS SVO rims are looking good on my car.

I just ordered up a billet 2600 crank, rods, and CP pistons. At 25psi it should turn 500HP. Not bad for a 4 cylinder.

I've spent more on this car than what I sold my 28,000 mile PRISTINE 93 Cobra for.

I HATED putting miles on my Cobra. I won't on this SVO.

Lee - if you need a good RH marker light, I can find one for you.

02JoeGhost

Boost it hard
Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:

My svo, on the other hand, you cannot buy many replacements parts because of no aftermarket.

I have been watching RH marker lights go anywhere from $200-$400. Yes that is for one. Nobody in the world makes a reproduction. Which sucks because both of my markers are faded. So whenever I get done with it and get it painted its going to look like ass compared to the other lights.

If it ever gets wrecked I'll probably slap a 4-eye front end on it

I feel your pain, I was lucky when i bought my forst 84 SVo that it came with brand new Turn signals. I also have a backup set. Its funny they make the Drivers sdie as a repo but not the passenger, what the hell lol. Glad to see some other SVO owners in here, what color is your 84?

Joe

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
Wrapper=unused

But "unused" sounds like 2, 3, 8 original miles. I think that cars with under 50-99 original miles are generally considered the "as-new" wrappers. Most of the R-Models, that I have seen have more than than single digit miles. At some point, probably sales people and dealership personel "used" the car. I really have seen no significant price difference between a 13 original mile and 45 original mile car. I think "used" less than 100 is the real $$$ factor.

However, adding to the above observation, I am also seeing a trend where people are not interested in buying a wrapper car for top $$$, just to realize that if they use it, it will most likely depreciate. The average buyer seems to be looking for a well kept car with minimal miles because they are intersted in using it, maybe a lot, maybe not.

Unused is nice if it is also "as-new". If a car has been stored improperly (high humidity, sunlight etc.), an unused car can be ready for restoration in just a few short years.

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:

I would guess that parts on the SVO that are common with parts on the regular production Mustang of that same year are available? and it is the "SVO specific" parts that are the "hard parts". Same with the R-Models, the common parts are easy, the R specific parts are the "hard parts". The difference being, very few R-Models of their respective years were built (107, 250 and 300), and very few replacement parts are available now. Most R-parts were not even serviced when new, and most of the R-parts are not common, even between the R's. The parts are not even listed in the Ford Master Parts computer, and never have been. That makes them real hard to identify, not to mention, find.

R

Last edited:

TheSVTKid

Established Member
Robert M said:
At 10K+ original miles, I would have thought that this one would have gone to $25K, maybe $27K if the market is $30K for wrappers. Instead it is just now bringing what it did when it was new, 14-15 years ago. Yes, it has a tag bracket on the front bumper which is not desirable to some, but that is a $500 fix to do it right, no big deal. I was truely surpised that this 10K 1993 Cobra only went to $20K+, its a leather and sunroof car, black is a good color, the car appears to have a good amount of original paperwork. Why only $20K+?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=130106551807&rd=1,1

R

That car gives mine good hope......

The door panels aren't really in that nice of shape. (kinda saggy)
The underside isn't really that clean (looks to be driven in rain)

Don't get me wrong it's a great car, with ultra low miles. I personally feel that it gives us 1993 owners hope. Cause I know there are a lot of cream puffs out there, that might have more miles but have never seen rain, and have been very very well detailed at all times.

Shoot if someone came up to me with a check for 22K I would sell mine in a heartbeat.

EA

Speedfreek

Established Member
Robert M said:
However, adding to the above observation, I am also seeing a trend where people are not interested in buying a wrapper car for top $$$, just to realize that if they use it, it will most likely depreciate. The average buyer seems to be looking for a well kept car with minimal miles because they are intersted in using it, maybe a lot, maybe not.

R

I agree, unless you are looking for a garage queen one with a few thousand miles is better IMO. I was looking at a 53 mile 93 Cobra in wrapper condition, but I got to thinking how much could I drive it? 45 miles or so and keep it in wrapper condition. So I would have a car that I could not drive at all or it would be ruined. Or I could find one with 2-7k miles on it and still drive it a few thousand miles and still be under 10k miles many years from now.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Speedfreek said:
I agree, unless you are looking for a garage queen one with a few thousand miles is better IMO. I was looking at a 53 mile 93 Cobra in wrapper condition, but I got to thinking how much could I drive it? 45 miles or so and keep it in wrapper condition. So I would have a car that I could not drive at all or it would be ruined. Or I could find one with 2-7k miles on it and still drive it a few thousand miles and still be under 10k miles many years from now.

^^^^^^^Many are now realizing this. Another interesting thing is how many people shy away from cars that have just been sitting since new, with little to no miles on them. The first question I see over and over is, "what about the engine seals and leaking?". The overall thought by most it seems, is that a drivetrain that has been lubricated from "use" is a better choice in the long run. Cars that have just been sitting have some parts that have been bathed in oil for the whole time and others that have been out of oil for years. All of this mindset makes a difference at sale time. Yes, an ultra low mile wrapper may bring more money to a few, but the low mile car can be sold for a close amount to many more people and sometimes much quicker. I have also noticed that the $$$ gap between a "no use" and "slightly used" car closing mainly because of the reasoning above. As time goes by and these cars get older, miles will not be such a factor, but right now it is, they are relatively new.

R

cobra1993svt

Established Member
I actually talked to the owner of this car when I went to the Route 23 Auto Mall car show in Butler NJ last Sun.He told me his car was on E-bay and he'd be happy to get 20K for it. I dont see a problem with the money this car is bringing.Id love to get sticker for my 93 Cobra... $20196. So I could get an Excursion. Getting kinda tired of the car show scene.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
cobra1993svt said:
I actually talked to the owner of this car when I went to the Route 23 Auto Mall car show in Butler NJ last Sun.He told me his car was on E-bay and he'd be happy to get 20K for it. I dont see a problem with the money this car is bringing.Id love to get sticker for my 93 Cobra... $20196. So I could get an Excursion. Getting kinda tired of the car show scene.

yeah I got tired of car shows several years ago and started "having fun" with my car. Drive it back and forth to occasionally. Beat on it at the track. Take it to some twisty roads in the mountains, etc. I figure that's what the SVT team would have like to have seen done to them.

SVT1993 said:
I paid $600 for a passengers side marker light for my SVO. Now I have a complete set of 8 lenses (6 front, 2 tail lenses - same as 93 Cobra) for when I paint my car the next time.

Robert M's old NOS SVO rims are looking good on my car.

I just ordered up a billet 2600 crank, rods, and CP pistons. At 25psi it should turn 500HP. Not bad for a 4 cylinder.

I've spent more on this car than what I sold my 28,000 mile PRISTINE 93 Cobra for.

I HATED putting miles on my Cobra. I won't on this SVO.

Lee - if you need a good RH marker light, I can find one for you.

Its funny you should mention that price tag, somebody on my forums mentioned someone spending that much on one awhile back. Had no idea that was you. Who did you happen to get it from?
Yeah I am wanting to do a MAF conversion on mine and bump the rwhp to 300. That will make me happy and is very wasy to do
I want a set of new markers for mine. Mine are not broke so I don't have to have them but new ones would look a lot better whenever I get started on it again.

02JoeGhost said:
I feel your pain, I was lucky when i bought my forst 84 SVo that it came with brand new Turn signals. I also have a backup set. Its funny they make the Drivers sdie as a repo but not the passenger, what the hell lol. Glad to see some other SVO owners in here, what color is your 84?

Mine is currently the OEM maroon (2A). Since there are ton that color out there, I think it is going to get a complete changeover to True Blue. That should look nice with the satin FR500's I am going to put on it

SVT1993

Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
Its funny you should mention that price tag, somebody on my forums mentioned someone spending that much on one awhile back. Had no idea that was you. Who did you happen to get it from?
Yeah I am wanting to do a MAF conversion on mine and bump the rwhp to 300. That will make me happy and is very wasy to do
I want a set of new markers for mine. Mine are not broke so I don't have to have them but new ones would look a lot better whenever I get started on it again.

I hated to spend that much - and you know that someday they will make the mold and they will be $59.99 again. but I had a complete set - except for that one. The set Is worth a lot more with the RH marker than without it. It was the last one the guy had - I knew another guy that wanted even more $ for his. They are hard to find. There is one on e-bay right now with a $1000 retraction. It will go for close to $600 I'm sure. I've got a EEC tuner with PCMX and a MAF set up - before this build, it was dynoed at 300 RWHP. I pulled the stops this time - it should be fun. Turbo & Nitrous.

I do miss the low end torque of the 93 Cobra - is was a sweet car, stock. I'm hoping that when this motor is done, I won't miss that low end torque of the Cobra anymore.:)

SVT1993

Established Member
Robert M said:
I would guess that parts on the SVO that are common with parts on the regular production Mustang of that same year are available? and it is the "SVO specific" parts that are the "hard parts". Same with the R-Models, the common parts are easy, the R specific parts are the "hard parts". The difference being, very few R-Models of their respective years were built (107, 250 and 300), and very few replacement parts are available now. Most R-parts were not even serviced when new, and most of the R-parts are not common, even between the R's. The parts are not even listed in the Ford Master Parts computer, and never have been. That makes them real hard to identify, not to mention, find.

R

Your absolutely right. The SVO, unlike the 93 cobra, had LOTS of parts that were not similar to a production Mustang. This is why parts are so hard to find for the SVO. The lights, wings, steering wheel, shift knob, dash parts, seats, wheels, suspension, brakes, shocks, etc. where different from a standard Mustang. The 93 Cobra is an incredible car but the difference in specialty parts for the car where not as drastic as the SVO. This will help the Cobra last WAY longer and make it a more desirable car in the future. The 93R, 95R, 2000R cars were made to be wrapper cars with such a limited production. Some parts you will never find again.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
SVT1993 said:
Your absolutely right. The SVO, unlike the 93 cobra, had LOTS of parts that were not similar to a production Mustang.

The 93R, 95R, 2000R cars were made to be wrapper cars with such a limited production. Some parts you will never find again.

Yes, the SVO was unique from top to bottom. I am waiting for them to significantly make a break upward in $$$, but I wonder if they will. It seems that the market/following is very narrow. The SVO is a great all around performer, and in many ways will out perform a GT of that era. BUT..........it seems that many are stuck in the "nothing smaller than a V8 mentality for a real muscle car" mindset. I think this is what has held a cloud over the SVO, maybe that will change.

The R's and wrappers...........I don't know that they were made to be wrapper cars, but the world of "car collectibility" and limited numbers had already been realized by 1993 and the fact that so few were built + the fact that they were the best Mustang performance offerings of their respective years made them a natural choice as a collectible. Every car enthusiast likes to have something that is different/unique from the guy next to him. The SVT Cobra's are unique in the Mustang world, and the R-Models take it to the next level.

R

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I'm a big fan of the SVO's, but I agree, the market just isn't there for them right now. Hopefully it'll pick up.

TheSVTKid

Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
I'm a big fan of the SVO's, but I agree, the market just isn't there for them right now. Hopefully it'll pick up.

Owned a 1984 SVO for many many years.

It even got 1st place in it's class at the ONLY car show I ever put it in. (World Ford Challenge in STL, MO)

And I can tell you, I got out what I had in it, and thats all I could ask for.
I just don't see SVO's really ever catching on like they should have. Maybe I will be wrong, but it's been years and years, and the values are just hanging there.

Low milage 5.0 coupes pull more money these days.
EA

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
E.A. said:
Owned a 1984 SVO for many many years.

It even got 1st place in it's class at the ONLY car show I ever put it in. (World Ford Challenge in STL, MO)

And I can tell you, I got out what I had in it, and thats all I could ask for.
I just don't see SVO's really ever catching on like they should have. Maybe I will be wrong, but it's been years and years, and the values are just hanging there.

Low milage 5.0 coupes pull more money these days.
EA

I had a little more recent SVO experience. Last year I bought an 86 Comp. Prep. nice car, 19K documented original miles. I paid basically what the MSRP on the original window sticker, $14K or so. I thought it would be a great car to show with the R's, a perfect fit. I bought some nice parts that were needed for most any car that is 20+ year old car to make it a nicer car to show with my R's. I assumed that since only 83 or so were built that I would be able to get a few $$$ out of it when it came time to sell. Then a 1995 Cobra Convert. w/Removable Hardtop #167 came up on eBay, the car only had 9K or so miles, but most importantly it had the extremely rare factory Theft Deterrent System. The theft option is hard to find in any 95 Cobra, not to mention one of the 1003 converts. and then on one of the 499 Removable Hradtop cars, I had to have it. I already owned #14, but it has no theft option. So, the SVO went down the road. I pretty much broke even on the SVO itself, and then sold all of the very nice parts that I had accumulated for that car. I did better on the parts. Overall, I did make money on that car and parts for the 4-5 months that I owned it. It did seem that the SVO market is soft. If I could find another Comp. Prep., a trailer queen, I might get back into one, but one thing I noticed, trying to show a 19K mile/20+ year old car next to cars that have less than 1000 miles on them and have never been out in the elements is like night and day. Everything stuck out on the SVO as needing attention or restoration. I really would have had to pile a bunch on money into that car so it would show well next to the R's. I did not feel that the investment, at this time would be wise. My goal at this time in life is a California duster and a little mist of spray detail once in a while, no restorations, been there, done that!

As for the mention of "low milage 5.0 coupes pull more money these days", yep, V8!

R

Last edited:

grape

Established Member
this car has 30K miles and is sitting on the lift above my newly acquired 93 R........

SVT1993

Established Member
Robert M said:
I had a little more recent SVO experience. Last year I bought an 86 Comp. Prep. nice car, 19K documented original miles. I paid basically what the MSRP on the original window sticker, $14K or so. I thought it would be a great car to show with the R's, a perfect fit. I bought some nice parts that were needed for most any car that is 20+ year old car to make it a nicer car to show with my R's. I assumed that since only 83 or so were built that I would be able to get a few $$$ out of it when it came time to sell. Then a 1995 Cobra Convert. w/Removable Hardtop #167 came up on eBay, the car only had 9K or so miles, but most importantly it had the extremely rare factory Theft Deterrent System. The theft option is hard to find in any 95 Cobra, not to mention one of the 1003 converts. and then on one of the 499 Removable Hradtop cars, I had to have it. I already owned #14, but it has no theft option. So, the SVO went down the road. I pretty much broke even on the SVO itself, and then sold all of the very nice parts that I had accumulated for that car. I did better on the parts. Overall, I did make money on that car and parts for the 4-5 months that I owned it. It did seem that the SVO market is soft.

The market for SVO's is VERY soft - but it is affordable if you can find a car that doesn't need a lot of work

If I could find another Comp. Prep., a trailer queen, I might get back into one, but one thing I noticed, trying to show a 19K mile/20+ year old car next to cars that have less than 1000 miles on them and have never been out in the elements is like night and day. Everything stuck out on the SVO as needing attention or restoration. I really would have had to pile a bunch on money into that car so it would show well next to the R's.

It took me 4 years to find all the parts to make my old SVO look new. Not to mention a lot of money. The parts that have a gold plated finish (fuel pulse dampner, fuel rail, FRP, wiper motor, fan shroud) that corrode are the parts that are hard to find.

I did not feel that the investment, at this time would be wise. My goal at this time in life is a California duster and a little mist of spray detail once in a while, no restorations, been there, done that!

My car had 30,XXX miles on it and I replaced every nut, bolt, suspension, exhaust, bushing in the engine compartment and underbody with NOS. I sold the car for $15,000 - It was like a brand new SVO. Not much value for the effort.

As for the mention of "low milage 5.0 coupes pull more money these days", yep, V8!

Funny how the value of my 1986 SVO was more than my 1993 Cobra in the Kelley Blue Book.

R
:banana:

Users who are viewing this thread