ignition for all

svt 3027

I don't know if I this will help any, but I personaly have not
had much luck with MSD. When I purchased my MSD ignition box
it did not work (brank new out of the box), and since my car sits
for long periods of time the MSD box stopped working a second
time although MSD did repair it undr warranty, but shipping it to
Texas (and having to pay the shipping) stinks. Not long ago I
built a blower engine for a clients cobra we used a MSD BTM system to control detination. With 12psi of boost I set base timing
at 12deg. and set timing retard at 4deg.. This created 475bhp
at the rear tires (it is a scary car to drive!). Later a Saleen custom
ecu was installed which made the BTM obsolete it controled ing.
timing retard internally base timing still set at 12deg.
I am curious myself of the Jacobs system, but not willing
to spend the money to experiment.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
This is actually not uncommon. I've heard of troubles with the MSD's before, while I've had no problems with mine.

I guess the Accel 300+ system is very good quality and have heard the Crane HI-6 is also. I have not heard anything about the Holley ignitions, but am curious about them.

drkhrse

Established Member
I posted a question some time ago along the same lines. I have a super charger on my '93 and need to upgrade my ignition. I'm still torn as to which one to get. I'm leaning toward the MSD Digital 6. I have a MSD 6al on my '69 mustang and have never had any problems with it. I know of someone who had nothing but problems with there Holly system so i don't want it. I am interested in the Jacobs as well if anyone has any info I'd appreciate it too.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Can only add that I have never heard anything] bad about a Jacobs system, and although have heard problems with the MSD's here-n-there, I don't know that I've heard any problems with the Digital 6 model...
For the prices the should be flawless!

'93#3989

Established Member
I also had problems with a MSD 6AL BTM. I gave up on it(gave it away). I now have the Crane HI6. I have not had a problem at all.

QuickStangs

Established Member
I hear a lot of talk about ignition systems. What is the advantage of having a new ignition I would like to no before I install one:)

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Originally posted by QuickStangs
I hear a lot of talk about ignition systems. What is the advantage of having a new ignition I would like to no before I install one:)
Alot better spark, some say crisper throttle response, and for the guys with all the toys (blowers, turbo's, NOS) there's differet ignitions that let you do an array of advancing or pulling of spark and pre-set incriments... etc.

Users who are viewing this thread