I'm Considering Adjustable Struts Before UCA/LCA Replacements (for 1/4 mile)

ShelbyLt

Established Member
I am trying to improve my 60' times. I run 420 RWHP in a 2006 GT automatic. I am running Nitto NT05 tires. I cannot get consistent traction having launch times varying from 1.70 to 2.25 sec. (mostly 2.20). I am wondering if anyone has tried the adjustable struts prior to other items such as UCA/LCA replacements. If so, what kind of improvement could I expect?

BMR Tech

Is the car lowered?

Struts "may" help slightly, but I am hesitant to assure of it. I would never recommend struts first, on a combo like yours - to be 100% honest.

sportinawoody

Established Member
I concur. these cars suffer badly from wheel hop which destroys rearend stuff due to shitty flimsy lower control arms. I would definitely do both but the arms 1st. if you're lowered then you will need lower arm relocation brackets but beware, YOU HAVE TO WELD THE AXLE TUBES with those if you're going to launch hard on any kind of sticky tire or it WILL spin the tubes in the housings sooner than later. welding the tubes are easy, and relatively cheap to do

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
grab a set of used gt500 lower control arms, they have stiffer bushings but are still a compliant ride and can be had for about $50 shipped from some of the GT500 guys.

then i would go for some strange adjustable rear shocks.

no need for LCA brackets unless you are lowered.

ShelbyLt

Established Member
Is the car lowered?
Struts "may" help slightly, but I am hesitant to assure of it. I would never recommend struts first, on a combo like yours - to be 100% honest.

No, the suspension is nearly stock. The front was slightly higher than the back so I changed to new rear springs from Ford performance.

Thank you for your honest appraisal. I have seen articles about upgrades, but they never started with the struts. It always made me wonder.

Last edited:

ShelbyLt

Established Member
I concur. these cars suffer badly from wheel hop which destroys rearend stuff due to shitty flimsy lower control arms. I would definitely do both but the arms 1st. if you're lowered then you will need lower arm relocation brackets but beware, YOU HAVE TO WELD THE AXLE TUBES with those if you're going to launch hard on any kind of sticky tire or it WILL spin the tubes in the housings sooner than later. welding the tubes are easy, and relatively cheap to do

The car has not been lowered.
I am not clear - are you saying the tubes need welding only if the relocation brackets are used?

ShelbyLt

Established Member
grab a set of used gt500 lower control arms, they have stiffer bushings but are still a compliant ride and can be had for about $50 shipped from some of the GT500 guys.

then i would go for some strange adjustable rear shocks.

no need for LCA brackets unless you are lowered.

Thank you for the advise. I will look for a set and go from there. I see that everyone says flimsy LCA's and wheel hop are the main issues - I just never notice any hop.

FordEvangelist

Established Member
I think new control arms will help more than the struts. The factory arms have a lot of play in them by design. When you get a good aftermarket control arm set, you'll feel the difference when you launch.

ShelbyLt

Established Member
I think new control arms will help more than the struts. The factory arms have a lot of play in them by design. When you get a good aftermarket control arm set, you'll feel the difference when you launch.

Thanks for the help everyone. I am just a little concerned that it might be wasted effort and money since I don't feel or hear any hop and the tire marks don't show it either. The car only has 20,000 miles by the way.

After you replace the control arms have you seen much improvement in 0-60 times?

To all of you:What is your 0-60 time?
Better yet what was it vs. what is it now?

FordEvangelist

Established Member
I replaced my control arms before I ever went to the track so have no data for that.

If you want to improve the 60's you should start with a stickier tire - NT05R or something like that. Maybe try them at 20psi and see how that works. Once the tires start hooking, you might get some wheel hop, though.

jpplaw

Established Member
Although you need good LCA's (at a good angle too), Struts and shocks are also vital for good weight transfer. Check out Strange 10 way Adjustables. They are great on the street and at the strip. I've cut 1.5 60's with them (not great, but pretty good for a 4000 lb car, lol)

Last edited:

ShelbyLt

Established Member
I replaced my control arms before I ever went to the track so have no data for that.

If you want to improve the 60's you should start with a stickier tire - NT05R or something like that. Maybe try them at 20psi and see how that works. Once the tires start hooking, you might get some wheel hop, though.

I have 275/40ZR18 99w Nitto NT05's on the car now. I have not tried going below 32 lbs of air pressure. I will try this today. Although I won't have a 60' time - I can see if the tires sit and spin like usual.

ShelbyLt

Established Member
Although you need good LCA's (at a good angle too), Struts and shocks are also vital for good weight transfer. Check out Strange 10 way Adjustables. They are great on the street and at the strip. I've cut 1.5 60's with them (not great, but pretty good for a 4000 lb car, lol)

That is a great time - you should be very happy. I would love to cut a 1.5 sec. 60' time. With that much power - hows the 1/4 mi. time and end speed? What all have you done to the suspension to get this great time and what tires are you running?

FordEvangelist

Established Member
I have 275/40ZR18 99w Nitto NT05's on the car now. I have not tried going below 32 lbs of air pressure. I will try this today. Although I won't have a 60' time - I can see if the tires sit and spin like usual.

I don't think that's enough tire for that power. I think you need a 0 treadwear tire like a drag radial. Nitto, Mickey, M&H, etc. NT05 is a good tire but the drag radial version will help out quite a bit.

ShelbyLt

Established Member
I don't think that's enough tire for that power. I think you need a 0 treadwear tire like a drag radial. Nitto, Mickey, M&H, etc. NT05 is a good tire but the drag radial version will help out quite a bit.

I got them with the hope that they would be good for both the road course and the strip. They are good on the street, not great anywhere, IMHO.
I have used them for the past two years, but I only have a couple thousand miles in that time.

ShelbyLt

Established Member
I tried the 20 PSI tire trick, I had 3/4's of a tank of gas, with the Traction Control on and went from brake pedal to gas (no revs.) It did much better, but still had way too much slipping. I think I am ready to order the J&M Upper and Lower Control Arms.

ShelbyLt

Established Member
Update: I installed an adjustable UCA and the LCA's. They helped a marginal amount. I think due to the low miles on my car (the bushings were in very good condition) that I did not notice the improvement that some have felt.

Users who are viewing this thread