Impressions of the new motor and upgrades

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
Well, i've been driving around for a bout 3 weeks now just having fun with the car. Last night, some of the old crew got together to hang out and have some dinner. I was giving rides to people and everyone was saying it felt a lot stronger than it did before. I have to agree with them. I ended up racing a couple buddies.

***EDIT*** THESE RUNS WERE ALL MOTOR ***EDIT***

One was a built twin turbo 300z. I forget which turbos they are, but the are a little bigger than stock. He was running low boost (about 13psi). We went from a fairly slow roll. we both spun, i caught traction before he did and i pulled maybe half a car, then he came sailing by to beat my by 2 1/2 or 3.

Later that night i raced my good friend and old race buddy matt - who has an aggressive heads/cam z06. Back in the day, before my motor rebuild - me on a 150 shot and him on the motor were a dead even race. Since that race, he's gotten a bigger cam and a different set of heads. Last night we raced three wide against my other friend chad who had just bought an abandoned race car fbody. He bought the car for $2200 with a blown motor and brand new trans. He put a $200 stock LS1 in it with a $20 mild cam. Its an auto with a 3000rpm yank stall and was on ET Streets.

We all went from a 20-25 roll. Matt and I ran off and left the camaro. Matt was spinning and i had the lead for a split second then he shifted to 2nd and started rolling HARD on me. Once he passed me, i started watching my gauges cause this was the hardest i've pushed it with the new motor and in over a year. Matt said he got me by 2-3 cars. I think he was just being modest. I'd say it was closer to 4 or 5. That vette pulls like a freight train up top.

Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with the car. I need to tune the suspension some so i won't spin. And get a new thermostat. It's getting heat soaked BAD in this moist southeast heat. But running wise, it feels a lot stronger down low, and downs fall on its face up top.

Some good news is that Matt (the guy with the z06) used to have a badass supercharged cobra. It was a 98 car, but had a 2001 motor in it. And he's going to GIVE me a bunch of old parts, for free. those parts include a complete upper and lower intake, two coil packs, a set of valve covers, and some other stuff. ALSO, he's going to call around to see if he can get in touch with his friend that was holding his 98 longblock. All that's wrong is a spun bearing....

Last edited:

allgo90

Established Member
nice runs..your running a 150shot on a built motor, correct? what other mods do you have?

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i was running a 150 shot. I let a friend borrow my nitrous nozzle for his old coupe car...then he sold the car with the nitrous kit on it. So i don't even have a nitrous nozzle.

It'll be out on a 150 shot on one of the kits when it comes back out.

motor is a vt engines stroker kit. running 11.33:1 compression on pump gas

Other mods - not much. The only visible mods you can see is a JLT rai, a K&N, and 9mm frpp plug wires. I'm running stock pulleys, stock ignition, stock thermostat, imrc deletes and a tune by Aric @ Team Ford

Heads and intake were cleaned up and flashing removed with a 3 angle valve job when the motor was FIRST rebuilt (about 2 yrs ago).

Tremec TKO500 with a 26spl input shaft, spec stage 3 clutch, stock flywheel and stock balanced driveshaft. 4.30 gears, repacked FMS Posi, 31 spline Strange Axles.

Front suspension: UPR tublar kmember and a arms, UPR coilover kit with 175lb springs, and strange 10ways.

rear suspension: upr double adjustable uppers, x2c boxed (non-adjustable) lowers, stock shocks, and stock 2001 gt springs with the dead coils cut off.

Users who are viewing this thread