Impressive VMP Tune Results!

mikengail

Established Member
OK, I had to wreck the black '12 auto vert in my sig. Only crash I've ever had and totally my fault. Replaced it with an exactly same optioned very low mileage used black '14 auto vert and thought I would test every mod at the track. All runs were at Thunder Valley Raceway Park in Noble, Oklahoma and the DA was always 4,000+. Not ideal, I know. One takes the opportunities one has.

Baseline at 6k miles was best with stock rear 18" PZero's with all the nannies on and resulted in a consistent 13.3 at 106. Putting Nitto NT555R 305/45R18 DR's on back made it worse. Best time with nannies on or off was 13.6 at 105. The DR tires were just too tall for a pure stock Coyote auto in a high DA environment on a 3.15 rear.

Next step was to put a VMP 91 octane A6 tune only with no other mods, no exhaust mods and no intake mods. I didn't bother with the stock tires and went straight to the DR's. BIG difference and quite surprising, well, to me at least. All nannies off netted a best of 13.0 at 108. Race weight was around 4,020lbs at all times. By the time that I put the tune on, the car had just gone over 10k miles and was a little more "broken-in". 6/10ths improvement from just a tune is no joke, I think.

Next stage will be to install the VMP Gen-1 Stage-2 kit with 82mm pulley on a 91 octane VMP tune keeping the pure stock exhaust all the way back to the stock axle backs. After that, will come some exhaust experimentation.

Thought some of you would find this interesting. Might just delete the cats on the stock exhaust and see how that helps for the next testing session following that of the TVS install.

After reading AED Shaun's post about header size/type and exhaust efficiencies, I'm still a little undecided about what to do for my final exhaust configuration. A friend of mine who road races recommends 1-7/8" long tubes with cat deletes and not really bother with enlarging any of the exhaust beyond that. From Shaun's post, however, it seems that the restrictiveness of the entire exhaust system all the way back to the exhaust tips does matter, particularly for FI Coyotes. In that case, I would think the Kooks mid length and true 3" exhaust all the way back would be optimum. One caveat to that configuration is that true 3" OTA pipes can be an unholy pain to get right without rattling against something, or so I've heard anyway.

Another point I forgot to mention is that this '14 is a very late build and has the 2015 head casting on both banks. I don't know whether or not they flow like the '15's though. I'll post the results of the TVS install within the next 3 or 4 weeks. Hope this helps someone on the fence about tuners, particularly with respect to A6 Coyotes. I had what felt like a good tune experience with an AED tune on the '12, before I supercharged it, but I didn't test anything to validate. This time around I'm testing everything. Lol...

Last edited:

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
I ran VMP tunes up until recently switching over to CJ intake and SCJ oval. Justin referred me to Lund on that one.

I never ran it bone stock, but with just a VMP tune (all else stock) last fall at 1500' it ripped off 12.45, 12.47, and a 12.51 all back to back runs with no waiting. Corrected for sea level they were 12.2's. This spring with ORX got a 12.39. All runs on stock OEM Nero's. The car has never run slower than that 12.51. LOL

Last edited:

mikengail

Established Member
I ran VMP tunes up until recently switching over to CJ intake and SCJ oval. Justin referred me to Lund on that one.

I never ran it bone stock, but with just a VMP tune (all else stock) last fall at 1500' it ripped off 12.45, 12.47, and a 12.51 all back to back runs with no waiting. Corrected for sea level they were 12.2's. This spring with ORX got a 12.39. All runs on stock OEM Nero's. The car has never run slower than that 12.51. LOL

Yeah, the biggest surprise to me was the AMOUNT of improvement with only Justin's tune. I hear about all the other major tuners out there and rightfully so, but VMP is usually mentioned primarily with respect to FI applications. His tuning of NA A6's is impressive in my experience. I would like to have known what your pure stock baseline was to see whether or not my results are the norm...

Users who are viewing this thread