IMRCs leaking.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Hey,
Well I'm running lean because my imrcs are leaking on bank 2.
I'm deciding whether I want to attempt to rebush them, Attempt to find some new ones, or just go with the imrc delete kit.
Any suggestions. Also, does anyone know if the imrc delete kit will affect smog in California?

Chris.94GT

Established Member
I had a P0171 and P0174, removed intake and imrc to clean while I was putting in new radiator and painting crossover tube, put it back together with new gaskets and those codes haven't come back yet. Have had my car for almost 2years now with check engine light, been good for at least 2-3 weeks with no light.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Ive replaced the gaskets and cleaned the imrcs. Which is what I thought the code was for in the first place, but it just keeps coming back...

luke87gt

Established Member
if you remove the imrc you will need to have them turned off in the tune to avoid a CEL

That's what most people say... With my 96, I went over 5000 miles without a CEL when I deleted my IMRCs... I've since got a tune but never saw the CEL which was IMRC related.

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
Have you done any sort of test to confirm it is the IMRC's? I thought I had a gasket that had gone bad at my IMRC's when I did a redneck carb cleaner spray down around the intake/IMRC. Turned out I had a vacuum line with a leak but for some reason it was only showing up on one bank.

Personally, I have never heard of the IMRC's themselves leaking.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
I have replaced the gaskets, put everything back togther and the irmcs are the only thing left that my mechanic and I can think of.
Will the composite irmcs from a 98 work with the wires and control box from a 96?

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
Will the composite irmcs from a 98 work with the wires and control box from a 96?
WHile I have a 98 and have never worked with the aluminum IMRC's, I see no reason why they would not work as how they interface with the IMRC controller.

There are differences in the gaskets however, the composite IMRC's use a O-ring gasket on one side. I got mine from rock auto.com. for about $17 IIRC. Also, they come two (2) per an order so you don't need to order two sets. I now have an extra set now since I ordered two thinking that I had to order one for each side.

stiffler197

Hollow Point Racing
Established Member
I had a problem with my imrcs a while ago. Turned out being the bearing on the end of the shaft went bad and leaked. I replaced them with the composite ones. I'm am currently deleting mine so my composite ones are for sale if you need them

Users who are viewing this thread