In car footage from our Watkins Chumpcar race

03'Darin

Established Member
Here is some in car footage from our Watkins Glenn Chumpcar race earlier this year. I know there are a fair amount of people here that do open track events. If you're ever looking to make the next step and go racing or even try racing I suggest you try this series. I've raced SCCA, done countless OT events and spent a few years instructing, this series is by far the most fun I've had on a road race track. You don't need any racing experience to run this series and there are rental seats available for very reasonable prices.

For those that don't know Chumpcar its a low budget (for racing) road racing series. The cars are equalized two ways, one by base dollar value of the car you're using (set by the series) plus dollar values set for any modifications. When you car goes over the allowed dollar value you start getting handicap laps assessed. The second way is handicap laps assessed for winning a race by more than a lap. They use a formula based on the length of the race and the track you won on. You the receive handicap laps for the next 3 races you compete in. That formula also takes in to account the length of the race and track for the 3 races. Believe it or not these two methods tend to work out pretty well.

The majority of the races we run are between 6 and 25 1/2 hours long. Drivers are restricted to 2 hour stints and the 25 1/2 hour race they required at least 4 drivers per car. We ran the first 25 1/2 hour race with only 4 guys. We were running second around 12:30 at night in that race when we blew a motor. We replaced the motor and were able to salvage a 15th place finish that year. We ran that same race the following year and won it by 6 laps. We completed 1,984 miles over the 25 1/2 hours.

The car we run is a 1995 Mercury Cougar with an Explorer 5.0 and a 5 speed. The car looks like a total POS (on purpose) but runs well. We've won corner works choice award for their favorite car a few times and constantly have people coming to our pits comment on how much they love the car. All of the credit for the car goes to the other team members though. They came to me looking for a driver after they had already been racing for a while. I work on the car with them when time permits but that's about it.

Here is some in car footage of one of my stints at Watkins earlier this year. The race format for the weekend was a 6 hour race Friday, an 8 hour race Saturday and a 6 hour race Sunday. This is the Sunday race. We started the races that weekend with a 3 lap handicap. In this race we finished 3rd. There were about 80 cars total.

Watkins in car:
[video=youtube;POC_ZKFbHNI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POC_ZKFbHNI[/video]

And now the car: :uh oh:
C284EE7B-83D0-4C27-911F-C91174E0E14F_zps4xm3ress.jpg

Last edited:

TheShadow

Hey, you're a funny guy.
Established Member
You don't need any racing experience to run this series and there are rental seats available for very reasonable prices.

I did see a few maneuvers that you wouldn't expect from a skilled driver; some of what I saw drivers doing as you passed would have made my butt pucker up, LOL!

That looks like an absolute blast. I haven't looked for rules yet; do you have to run street tires or is that just a good idea for longer wear?

03'Darin

Established Member
I did see a few maneuvers that you wouldn't expect from a skilled driver; some of what I saw drivers doing as you passed would have made my butt pucker up, LOL!

That looks like an absolute blast. I haven't looked for rules yet; do you have to run street tires or is that just a good idea for longer wear?

Tires can't have better than a 180 tread wear rating. We normally run Falkens and get amazing wear out of them.

One thing about driving in this series is expect the unexpected. Unfortunately with the limited and sometimes no experience of the other drivers you have to take very calculated risks when deciding on what moves to make and when.

oldmodman

Established Member
How much lighter was the car at the end of the race?

It sounded like parts were falling off everywhere. I especially liked the hood flapping.

Now that's my kind of racing.

03'Darin

Established Member
How much lighter was the car at the end of the race?

It sounded like parts were falling off everywhere. I especially liked the hood flapping.

Now that's my kind of racing.

We had the right front fender come loose in the race but quick action with a sawsall and we were right back at it. lol The hood is literally held on by a bolt and washer style hinge at each back corner and then two hood pins at the front. With all of the bracing cut out for weight reduction the thing flaps like a paper towel at speed. The first time I raced the car I was sure the hood was going to fly right off, but it didn't. We ran 150 on the banking at Daytona and it stayed put so I think it's not going anywhere.

The series really has some great racing. On our way home from Limerock this year we stopped to eat and ran in to the person in charge of the corner workers at the track. He was telling us when the corner works saw the cars they figured it was going to be a demo derby kind of day (this was the first time the series ran Limerock). Well much to there surprise they said they saw some fantastic racing that at one point we went 2 1/2 hours without a full course caution. That race was 8 hours and we only has 2 full course cautions.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Very nice driving! Fun video to watch. That racing series does look like it's a lot of fun. :rockon:

03'Darin

Established Member
Very nice driving! Fun video to watch. That racing series does look like it's a lot of fun. :rockon:

Thanks! Here's a video below of myself and one of our other drivers. Almost identical lap times but two very different driving style.

I've been threatening to build one of these cars for a long time.

You need to do it! I can't stress enough how much fun this series is. Great racing, pretty affordable and big car counts. The Daytona race we won last Memorial day had 114 cars.

Side by side 2:18 laps at WGI. I'm the driver at the top of the sreen.

[video=youtube_share;lJc-rqoSeFA]http://youtu.be/lJc-rqoSeFA[/video]

Last edited:

03'Darin

Established Member
Ha! That looks like a blast! and that track looks like a fun course as well.

Yes and yes! I've run 14 different road courses over the years and still WGI full course is my favorite.

For anyone interested here are some of my laps from Limerock earlier this year.

[video=youtube_share;w5K44jTYYe8]http://youtu.be/w5K44jTYYe8[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread