In search for more aero

racebronco2

Established Member
The actual ground clearance is 5 inches.

splitter2qg1.jpg

splitter1mediumrc9.jpg

racebronco2

Established Member
The side shields are about 2 inches tall. In the picture above only the supports for the side shields are on.

I still have the engine out of the car. I need to modify if because i now have a canton oil pan and a mach 1 chin spoiler. I don't like the idea of the pan lower then the k-member so i am going to weld a piece of metal to the k-member to protect the oil pan. The mach 1 chin spoiler looks to be a little lower then the cobra spoiler to the mounts in front might need to be made a little lower.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
This is by far the most comprehensive bookmarked SVTP page I have on aerodynamics, so this seemed like a good place to post. According to this thread, the aero at the front of a Mustang is such a mess that one should focus most, if not all, their efforts there. However, I wonder how much good would come of this budget solution below.

Much like the Saleens, holes cut in the colored regions on my car here would reduce the "parachute effect," as some called it, in the rear. The red cut line is pertinent to the '03-'04 Cobras, the light blue is pertinent for all other '99-'04 models. This principal would work for all SN95 chassis cars. The rear reflectors would help to bleed off air trapped in the rear wheel well, in theory. Holes would need to be drilled in the wheel well itself to provide a passage for this air. It also may be necessary to modify the bumper foam to allow adequate airflow through the "MUSTANG/COBRA" slot.

Once again, this is strictly for drag reduction in the rear. I know little about aero and I realize it's results are often counterintuitive. The post is based on curiosity.

ImageShack.us

racebronco2

Established Member
This is by far the most comprehensive bookmarked SVTP page I have on aerodynamics, so this seemed like a good place to post. According to this thread, the aero at the front of a Mustang is such a mess that one should focus most, if not all, their efforts there. However, I wonder how much good would come of this budget solution below.

Much like the Saleens, holes cut in the colored regions on my car here would reduce the "parachute effect," as some called it, in the rear. The red cut line is pertinent to the '03-'04 Cobras, the light blue is pertinent for all other '99-'04 models. This principal would work for all SN95 chassis cars. The rear reflectors would help to bleed off air trapped in the rear wheel well, in theory. Holes would need to be drilled in the wheel well itself to provide a passage for this air. It also may be necessary to modify the bumper foam to allow adequate airflow through the "MUSTANG/COBRA" slot.

Once again, this is strictly for drag reduction in the rear. I know little about aero and I realize it's results are often counterintuitive. The post is based on curiosity.

ImageShack.us

There is a slight parachute problem with the rear bumper cover but what i did was fab up some aluminum to go from the irs subframe to the bumper cover eliminating any air to be trapped by the lip of the bumper cover. You could cut holes in the bumper covers but it would have to be a clean job and maybe use some mesh to cover over the holes.

PaleRider

Death Spank
Established Member
The newer saleen's looks like it would help, the chicane also ( has center exhaust) but most people are not going to change the look of their cobra.

I don't know about the newer ones but a friend of mine put a bunch of Saleen stuff on his Cobra when he first got it(I really don't understand why) but it wasn't until this year that I had an opportunity to look underneath it and inspect the rear Saleen bumper cover not only is there three holes in it the cover actually raps back under the car then tapers out toward the front of the car(alittle hard to explain). Did I get pics unfortunately, no.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
guys this is an excellent thread btw!! i do have a question for all of you also. Would a R front splitter and a belly pan back to the rear of the oil pan make a big difference for me? Ive always been interested in aero mods. But i just dont want to go too crazy. I primarily drive on the street, and drag it. Just looking for an extra aero/stability advantage without going to crazy with the way my car looks.

racebronco2

Established Member
guys this is an excellent thread btw!! i do have a question for all of you also. Would a R front splitter and a belly pan back to the rear of the oil pan make a big difference for me? Ive always been interested in aero mods. But i just dont want to go too crazy. I primarily drive on the street, and drag it. Just looking for an extra aero/stability advantage without going to crazy with the way my car looks.

The cobra "r" splitter usually doesn't last long on the street for most people because it is too low, it will actually slow the car down a little at higher speeds and unless you add stiffeners to it, it will vibrate at higher speeds.

A mach 1 chin spoiler will help a little along with a small splitter ( going back to the k-member with vents in it) the similar to mine but only an 1" or 2 past the mach 1 chin spoiler. With the above you will gain a little downforce without having to add supports to hold up the leading edge like i had to.

steve121

Established Member

I have a new 2000 R fascia/splitter for sale.

P7310003.jpg

CCM302

Established Member
Holy old thread batman...but awesome mod. I was looking to do something similar with my stang. I'm curious as to what your results were with the vg's and rear diffuser on the track? Could you tell any difference?

DocB

Established Member
A question for you fellas that have seen both:

Does the 2000 Cobra R front fascia have the same size central lower grill opening as an 03/04 Cobra? (in front of the H/E)?

racebronco2

Established Member
Holy old thread batman...but awesome mod. I was looking to do something similar with my stang. I'm curious as to what your results were with the vg's and rear diffuser on the track? Could you tell any difference?

Most of the mods you really can't tell the difference unless you actually did some track datalogging.

A question for you fellas that have seen both:

Does the 2000 Cobra R front fascia have the same size central lower grill opening as an 03/04 Cobra? (in front of the H/E)?

The cobra "r" i beleive has the same size opening as the 01 cobra's>

DocB

Established Member
Is the 01 opening smaller than the 03/04? (the lower, central, opening).

I would prefer not to restrict air to the H/E.

Users who are viewing this thread