Inconsistent shift smoothness/varying clutch pedal force

Dan04COBRA

Established Member
Took my 03 out of storage and have confirmed I am having some shifting/pedal issues. I thought maybe it was the MGW handle angle & mmr firewall adjuster needing more tweaking, but I can't find a sweet spot for either and I'm beginning to think it is the clutch.

Upon further research this past winter, I misunderstood some things and realized the car most likely still has the stock clutch.

Here is what I'm experiencing:

The force needed to depress the clutch varies from normal to excessive. Low speed shifting is generally normal force with smooth shifts. Accellerating at a rate to distance myself from traffic, I will have the occasional very firm clutch pedal with a very notchy shift, mostly the 2-3 shift, feels like I'm hitting a wall, I'm unsure if more pressure from my hand is getting into gear, or if I'm using more foot force on the pedal.

Spirited driving, 3/4 to full throttle situations, the clutch feels normal, but it's like I have to time everything perfect for a clean 2-3 shift without hitting a massive wall.

In parking lot/slow traffic situations it is sometimes almost impossible to get into first gear without punching the radio.

All of the clutch force & shifting issues are greatly INCREASED if I am turning.

Car has roughly 56k miles. I'd have to go take a look, but I do believe the firewall adjuster is turned outwards quite a bit to avoid TOB squeaking/improved shifting smoothness.

Users who are viewing this thread