Indoor HD TV Antenna

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
Any experience with these? Is there a particular one that you would recommend?

Got rid of cable and have been using Hulu, Voodoo and Netflix Streaming/Movies but would like to have access to the local channels. Your help is appreciated!

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I picked up one a few years ago by Philips. I paid 50$ for it. It's a little round disc that you spin to tune. Amazing picture quality even though I don't ever use it anymore. I doubt you can really go wrong these days. Old technology now.

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
I picked up one a few years ago by Philips. I paid 50$ for it. It's a little round disc that you spin to tune. Amazing picture quality even though I don't ever use it anymore. I doubt you can really go wrong these days. Old technology now.

Thanks for your help. Is there new technology that accomplishes the same thing?

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I don't know about indoor antennas, but If you have a newer HDTV with an ATSC tuner you can get an OTA (over the air) antenna for approximately $60.
I'm not sure how many channels you would receive in the Denver area.

channel_,master_4221HD.jpg

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
^^^ the antenna zak has pictured is a powerful directional antenna, and will need a rotor if you plan on pulling in stations geographically distant from differing compass points. I have one in my attic pointed at DC.

AntennaWeb - Home has recommendations on what antennas to use where you are specifically. Start the app, and add in your zip code. It'll also optimize things for your house number.

There's a channel chart for your location there as well.

http://www.antennaweb.org/Info/AntennaInfo.aspx tells you of diffiring antenna types.

'Yellow and Green' antenna types are close range, and often can be indoor type antennas.

Pretty much any antenna that's effective in the VHF range (there are a few in the UHF range) will work.

Description of the two antennas: (taken from Antennaweb.org)

Small Multi-directional
DESCRIPTION The smallest of TV antennas, they receive equally well from all directions.
APPEARANCE Good looking designs including novel shaped disk and patch antennas, and antennas that attach to satellite systems.
USE This is where signal strength is highest and away from reflecting structures or low areas.

Medium Multi-directional
DESCRIPTION Somewhat larger and slightly more powerful
APPEARANCE These antennas include novel stick, wing shaped or disk antennas with long elements.
USE An amplified antenna is recommended in the green area anytime a long (20 feet or more) cable run from the antenna is required, or when more than one device (TV or VCR) is to be used with an antenna. They work best away from reflecting structures or low areas.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
^^^ the antenna zak has pictured is a powerful directional antenna, and will need a rotor if you plan on pulling in stations geographically distant from differing compass points. I have one in my attic pointed at DC.

AntennaWeb - Home has recommendations on what antennas to use where you are specifically. Start the app, and add in your zip code. It'll also optimize things for your house number.

There's a channel chart for your location there as well.

AntennaWeb - Antenna Information tells you of diffiring antenna types.

'Yellow and Green' antenna types are close range, and often can be indoor type antennas.

Pretty much any antenna that's effective in the VHF range (there are a few in the UHF range) will work.

Description of the two antennas: (taken from Antennaweb.org)

Small Multi-directional
DESCRIPTION The smallest of TV antennas, they receive equally well from all directions.
APPEARANCE Good looking designs including novel shaped disk and patch antennas, and antennas that attach to satellite systems.
USE This is where signal strength is highest and away from reflecting structures or low areas.

Medium Multi-directional
DESCRIPTION Somewhat larger and slightly more powerful
APPEARANCE These antennas include novel stick, wing shaped or disk antennas with long elements.
USE An amplified antenna is recommended in the green area anytime a long (20 feet or more) cable run from the antenna is required, or when more than one device (TV or VCR) is to be used with an antenna. They work best away from reflecting structures or low areas.

That is some very good info, Mike. I know these antennas are not used much nowadays, but obviously there are those who just want to pull in local channels. So that info is very helpful. Thanks for posting it up.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
I bought one a few years back. I couldn't get reception to save my life at the time because my apartment was tucked in the back of the complex right next to a mini forest. I pulled it out a couple of weeks ago now that I'm in a new apartment and it works perfect. I get 1080 resolution reception all day. They are great when you're just looking to pick up ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox.

bad360rt

slo truk
Established Member
Any experience with these? Is there a particular one that you would recommend?

Got rid of cable and have been using Hulu, Voodoo and Netflix Streaming/Movies but would like to have access to the local channels. Your help is appreciated!

We did the same thing, and are using a Philips multidirectional antenna from RadioShack for local channels, was around $30, works great. It's a small flat panel antenna that is pretty easy to hide. How many channels you get will depend on where you live, but we get something like 27 channels here.

Plus, OTA picture quality is usually better than cable/satellite, because the signal isn't compressed. :thumbsup:

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
quit being cheap!

I would much rather cut cost on channels that I do not watch than cut it somewhere else. Additionally, now that I have started on my MBA it is less of a distraction as well. Saving over $100 a month for shit that i don't even use would be the opposite of cheap, wouldn't it? Moreover, if you don't have any information to add on the subject, GTFO.

PDubs

Established Member
We used a Philips from WalMart that was around $30. Worked okay out of the box but once we added some power to it, the difference was measurable. If you're going to keep it indoors, make sure it's away from tree lines/tall buildings and get one that accepts power so you can increase the gain if necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread