Industrial Maintenance Vs. Mechanical Engineering

z28WHAT

Got that Azzz sooo LOOOWW
Established Member
Northern Region of North Carolina...2005 NCAA NATI
I'm 20 and work in industrial Maintenance for a large Tobacco Company while I attend Engineering school. I love the pay 52k a year with overtime, helps to pay for college and keeping the Saleen paid for. Plus I think it is good experience for an aspiring Engineer to get some hands on work with mechanical features and learn the logics of mechanics and the problem solving steps associated with it. I was just curious what does a Mechanical Engineer do different than someone in Industrial Maintenance. There are no Engineers where I work, just skilled Mechanics. I enjoy working in Maintenance, and I'm debating on changing my major from Network Engineering to Mechanical Engineering. What does an industrial Mechanical Engineer do thats more significant than a Mechanic? What knowledge would they possess that would surpass that of a Mechanic with 15+ years experience? I was asking a few of my colleagues at work what did Mech. Engineers were capable of doing that differs from Mechanics. The only answer I got was if we get to a point where we can not fix something; we call on the Engineer and he can fix anything you can think of. Also, do you think it is worth it to switch majors? I believe the overall salary for a Networking Engineer is higher than Mechanical, but I think it may be something that I might enjoy doing more so than working on Computers etc. All input would be greatly appreciated. Plus it would help with a paper I'm writing on the Diversity of Engineering and the Impact it has on today’s society.

Thanks,
`b

Worsedog

Resident A**hole
Established Member
The mechanical engineer is the one we cuss when there is insuffient room to use the required tools to repair the problem with out complete disassembly of some totally unrelated parts..........the best engineers I know worked on what they design before they started designing it because they also looked at things from the serviceability stand point.

RRRR03Cobra

Anti-venom is Useless!
Established Member
Good question. I just graduated Tech with a Major in Industrial Maint. with a minor in Automation. When I started school over three years ago, my major was Electronic Engineering. After a year of bookwork and no hands on, I decided to change my major to Industrial Maint. so I could gat some hands on experience and bookwork combined. I also learned alot more in the labs as compared to the engineering classes. Most of the engineering teachers wanted us to learn 12 different formulas to solve a problem, on paper. Well, I have been an overhead crane and hoist troubleshooter, in the field for over 6 years and I can tell you those formulas don't always work! Since completing school, I have designed several PLC controlled crane systems. The engineers at our company mainly stay in the office and do bookwork and calculations. They design different systems for certain applications. We are the ones who have to do the hands on and fabrications that are required when the calculated designs on paper don't work.
I would not trade my field for anything. I really enjoy the troubleshooting and fabrications in the field. I am also the technical trainer for my company. I enjoy sharing the knowledge that I've learned with others. So it comes down to what you want to do.
If you like desk work, CAD, and design stick with the engineering. They do make a little more than an IMT salary. But if you get into the IMT and take automation, then you will
have a heads up because everything in industry is going with PLCs.

Black1999Cobra

Rollin' with the top down
Established Member
Im a mechanical engineer (my title currently is manufacturing project engineer) and what worsedog says it where I think every mechanical should start. I see many R&D engineers who design some stupid shiznit.

I have run into many other engineers who design stuff and dont think about manufacturing, serviceability, etc and have many many problems later on.

In my opinion, the industrial maintenance fixes and does the general maintenance for the machines etc. The mechanical engineer designs the machine and explains to the industrial maintenance person any typical problems that can arise and how to fix them. When there is a complicated problem, the engineer is usually called in.

Generally in my experience (2 yrs full-time, 6 years co-oping), the mechanical engineer gets paid more...as he is the one that is ultimately responsible for "his" machine that he designed/implemented.

Users who are viewing this thread