Info on the Air Force.

eXs Vp

03 dSg CoBrA
Established Member
I've always wanted to join one of the branches. And I've heard the Air Force is the most family oriented. Im really good on trumpet and I think i'd like to join the AF Band. (I know, band geek)..haha Anyways Im looking for something I wont be to far away from the family and ofcourse my car. I wanna get some info from someone other than a recruiter because I know they are only gonna tell me what I want to hear. So here are a few questions..How long are the terms? Like 2yrs, 4yrs, 6yrs..ect.. How long would it be before I actually were to play for the band? How long is training? Do you get staitioned where you want? (Pretty dumb question). So yeah any information would help me lots. And please give me NO BS answers. I really wanna know what im looking at. Thanks in advanced guys.

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
As far as I know...there isn't any training specific for the band. Other than AF basic training....which is 8 1/2 weeks. You audition before you even go to basic and they let you know where you'll be, or what band you'll be with.

Fugazied

Established Member
With marines he runs the risk of being trapped in 15 month tour after tour of Iraq though right? Airforce might actually give him more time with family between tours.

eXs Vp

03 dSg CoBrA
Established Member
As far as I know...there isn't any training specific for the band. Other than AF basic training....which is 8 1/2 weeks. You audition before you even go to basic and they let you know where you'll be, or what band you'll be with.

So its pretty much that simple?

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
Band queers are not real Marines. They're civilians in uniform.

***** this comment would go to S/D***** Everyone plays a part in a fighting force, from the cooks to the clerks to the one that blows the trumpet and the ones on the front-lines. The sooner you learn that, the sooner you'll be more than cannon fodder; you may actually learn to be a warrior.

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
***** this comment would go to S/D***** Everyone plays a part in a fighting force, from the cooks to the clerks to the one that blows the trumpet and the ones on the front-lines. The sooner you learn that, the sooner you'll be more than cannon fodder; you may actually learn to be a warrior.

:D The only guys who say that are the ones insecure with how big of a part they actually play. I don't need some jackass blowing on a trumpet to lay down suppression with a 240G. I still believe that the Marines are America's true warrior class. I'll do my part to make sure there's one less trumpet puffer gaying it up for everyone else.

Last edited:

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
So its pretty much that simple?

That's pretty much the way it was put to me by a guy I knew in the band...pretty sure he was reserves tho. Was looking to see if I still had his email address, but I don't.

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
That's pretty much the way it was put to me by a guy I knew in the band...pretty sure he was reserves tho. Was looking to see if I still had his email address, but I don't.

As much as I've made it clear how I feel about the band; that's the way it is here too. You audition before you ship, if you make it, you go through boot camp and you're in.

ToyoFl

Established Member
Look I don't understand why there are all these military questions going around now...This same topic has come up the last 2 or 3 weeks and its annoying...if they were smart they would do exactly what they did on here, except go to a MILITARY FORUM...I mean jeez theres a forum for everything

holtsch

Established Member
:D The only guys who say that are the ones insecure with how big of a part they actually play. I don't need some jackass blowing on a trumpet to lay down suppression with a 240G. I still believe that the Marines are America's true warrior class. I'll do my part to make sure there's one less trumpet puffer gaying it up for everyone else.

I couldn't agree more. I'm not in the marines....army here. But I still agree. If the Army infantry guys were that hard core then they would've joined the marines. I did convoy security on my last deployment and saw more combat action than most. **** the fobbits. That's ok though.....keep telling the stories of people that actually saw combat. Knowing damn well you never saw anything over there. It amuzed me that the fobbits couldn't even tell the difference between incoming and outgoing mortars. I had to break it to a few fobbits that the mortar attacks they had been through were actually us sending mortars out!

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member

Not to get off topic but this very well maybe the best quote I've read on here in a long time.

THE_STIG

Established Member
If you want to "stay close to home" do not join active duty because you will not be close to home. Join the guard or the reserves.

Users who are viewing this thread