Install on scavenge pump.

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
I installed my scavenge pump with my new function 7 fittings which look great. Ok here is my headache. All of a sudden both turbos are leaking oil down the exhaust pipes. It wasnt doing that before the install of the pump. After a while having the car running for a few min. it started smoking like a biotch. I know this should of been really easy, but this may be a dump question: Where the pump reads in, that is where the drain line T together and the one that says out goes to the oil pan. There are no kinks in lines. The turbos have 3k miles on them i cant see how they need a rebuild. Somebody help me out. Ill take some pics of what i got. Im running -10 line for everything. I thought i could do this myself but it doesnt look like it. I think my seals maybe shot. :(

101_1817.jpg

101_1818.jpg

101_1820.jpg

101_1821.jpg

101_1822.jpg

101_1823.jpg

101_1824.jpg

101_1825.jpg

101_1829.jpg

101_1827.jpg

101_1826.jpg

Last edited:

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
Its just crazy. They werent leaking before i put this pump on. Now they leak. I smokes like a sob too with all that oil sitting in there. The passenger side is the worst, leaks everywhere. I cleanned up and it wasnt leaking for a while, revd it up and it was leaking every which way. :(

Last edited:

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
Is the pump definitely functioning? Have you confirmed it is working?

If the pump isn't spinning you have to keep in mind that it is a gear pump, therefore oil will not be able to pass through it... I also would have mounted it in the horizontal position but I don't think that will matter very much...

If the pump is working, it sounds like your turbo seals are very shot...

Sharkster

Established Member
True but you have just restricted it with those function 7's (which is what they are supposed to do) and increased the pressure pushing against those seals. My bet is they were weak before and now that pressure has done them in.
Arent turbo cars fun??
Actually I would give my nutsack to have one again.
Thats where this built Whippled beast was heading until I head for the strike and or layoff line.

Sharkster

Established Member
oh and you might consider getting some small clamps or zip ties on the top ports on those wastegates or poooooooooof when you dont want it

milenko1247

Established Member
I know the oil line that feeds into the turbo usually has to be a specific size and if u go bigger or smaller thn u suppose to u can blow your seals. . . Im not totally sure for the drain line tho because I have never run a scavenge setup. .. Call the people who made the pump and ask what size you should have used for the pump. . You might have went tooo big

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
you sure the pump is flowing the right way? IN means oil is going into the pump. OUT means its leaving the pump. if its been flowing the wrong way, you may have just killed the seals. check the flow of the pump and have your turbos PROFESSIONALLY REBUILT.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
True but you have just restricted it with those function 7's (which is what they are supposed to do) and increased the pressure pushing against those seals. My bet is they were weak before and now that pressure has done them in.
Arent turbo cars fun??
Actually I would give my nutsack to have one again.
Thats where this built Whippled beast was heading until I head for the strike and or layoff line.

He hasn't restricted anything with the function 7 fittings. The fittings he installed on the drains are -10 and are in no way a restriction. I think you are getting confused with the function 7 oil restrictors on the feed side of the turbo. You have also made a mistake here in your statement because oil restrictors restrict the oil flow to the turbo by means of an orifice, they will in no way increase the pressure that the turbo sees.

If the pump is working properly, I think the problem might be associated with the fact that your drain lines have places in which the oil can pool.

Just look at the place oil can pool in this picture:
101_1822.jpg

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
Ill try cutting a few inches off that line and see what happens. I dont know how the pump can just pump the wrong way when hooked up correctly. there is only one way to hook it up. If its a vacuum there should be no oil pooling anywhere. I will make a few adjustments and see what happens.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
Ill try cutting a few inches off that line and see what happens. I dont know how the pump can just pump the wrong way when hooked up correctly. there is only one way to hook it up. If its a vacuum there should be no oil pooling anywhere. I will make a few adjustments and see what happens.

Well assuming that the sticker or plate is correct for the inlet and outlet, then you are almost right. Do not forget that this is a DC motor so if the polarity of the connections are reversed then the pump will spin in the wrong direction. You will definitely want to recheck your wiring to ensure the polarity is indeed correct. Frankly all signs seem to be pointing to the pump either not working or pumping the wrong way.

If that pump were working properly and even if your oil seals were pretty worn, you wouldn't be getting oil all over the place like you are. Mine were bad and I was just getting blue smoke from the exhaust, it wasn't pouring out between the flanges of my exhaust like yours are!

Once you get the current problem solved you can pretty much bet on having to rebuild those turbos. Miles has nothing to do with it if your oil drains have been blocked off, they will get destroyed very quickly. And most likely your turbine housings are going to be nice and coked up with carbon deposits as well from burning oil in there..

Last edited:

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
P.S. I think you guys are crazy to be wasting money on all the braided lines and fittings.

I went with hydraulic hose which is tougher than that braided line will ever be, and just regular NPT fittings and hose barbs.

On the drains of your turbos you will probably want some elbows. You pretty much need them to avoid having the dip in your line where oil can pool. I had totally forgot about needing them until I saw your pictures! When I did mine I went with the Function 7 1/2" NPT drain flanges, I then used a 1/2" NPT SS close nipple, a 1/2" SS 90* elbow and then a 1/2" NPT brass hose barb. This is what I did for each turbo, and then I ran both lines to a 1/2" NPT SS "T" and ran a hose to the pump and so on.... Definitely cost me less than a 100 bucks because I was able to get all the stuff at a local hydraulics store.

I prefer having the black hoses for the scavenge pump since it does not stick out so much and does not draw attention.

TRBO VNM

some pumps have been known to come from the factory wired reverse. meaning, the positive is really the negative and so on. you should always check the pump before installing. I just did this on solidsnak3's car. I installed a fitting on one end of the hose he gave me and put that on the in port of the pump. filled the hose with oil, then connected the pos/neg wires from the pump to a drill battery pos/neg and had the out facing a drain pan. worked perfect, so I know the IN was the IN and the power and ground were correct.

and yeah, screw braided line. lol, I use the pushlock aeroquip stuff myself.

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
Well ill try swaping the wires and see what i get and pull the lines and see for sure what way the oil would travel. The reason the oil was so bad coming out is because there is a slight exhause leak at the top, clamp should be tightend or replaced. I just got tired of dealing with it and went home. Worst comes to worst ill try to find someone locally to rebuild my turbos professionally.

Users who are viewing this thread