Install on scavenge pump.

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
looks like the direction of the pump was not tested IMO

And really you can mount a pump like that a few feet above the turbo and it will suck the line dry the flow doesnt have to be that picky going to the pump

Last edited:

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
The pump was wired right and oil flowed great. Tightend up some exhaust leaks and started it up and it broke my heart. Kept smoking. Pulled of the passenger side turbo and.....:( Oil out of every which oil. Oil even puddled up in the intercooler. So tomorrow when i pull the other turbo I will be draining the intercooler. I got pics of the driver side. Looks like there is water in the oil, thats just because it was raining when i brought it in. Does anybody have numbers of where i can get them rebuilt. I talked to precision and i want to get some other contacts.
101_1838.jpg

101_1838.jpg

101_1837.jpg

101_1836.jpg

101_1841.jpg

101_1839.jpg

Last edited:

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
Oh man that sucks to hear... I was hoping oil never made it into the cold side, you are going to want to remove the intercooler and clean it very well! I recommend putting it on its side and spraying like 3 cans of brake cleaner in there to ensure there is no more oil in there. Maybe even start off with a garden hose to get the bulk of the oil out of there??

I don't know what to say though man with regards to the problem that lead to this mess. It is very obvious now that your oil seals (is it from one turbo or both) are very very shot. I guess it must have been caused when the line was kinked on the drain?

When you rebuild these turbos make sure everything is perfect when you reinstall it! I really recommend you install some restrictors on your oil feeds if you haven't already. Also keep in mind that when you reinstall the turbos and start it up, even if there aren't any current problems you will most likely be seeing blue smoke for quite a while. It takes some time for the oil in your exhaust to burn off!

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
It always smoked a little without the pump. No biggie. Down for a month, :( Maybe ill just order two 61s with ball bearings. 1499 a piece i was quoted from precision. I believe i have restrictors but not sure on the size ill post some pics of that as well.

Last edited:

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
Oh and with regards to getting them rebuilt, if you can't find a local performance oriented source to do the job then maybe you should check with some turbo diesel workshops. Places like that rebuild turbos ALL THE TIME and that is who I ended up going through. I found a local guy that rebuilds mostly big marine diesels and turbos and got him to rebuild them for me. Cost me under $400 for the both of them.

He did a great job but I do have something I should mention to you. One of the first thing turbo rebuilders do is toss the turbine housings in a hot tank to get them all cleaned up. Yours look like they really do need to be dipped seeing as how coked up they are, but what you need to know is that hot tanking takes the Jet-Hot coating right off! You'll want to talk to the rebuilder about it to see what you can do so you don't have to send your turbine housings back to Jet-Hot like I had to.

Last edited:

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
So that damage wasnt like that before the pump?

And it happened to both turbos?

How did you test the pump was sucking the oil from the turbos?

I have played with a good number of turbo cars and never seen oil seals fail so bad that the intake side gets oil in it. and really the only way for it to do that is if the line was blocked and left no where for the oil to go but out the seals.

And by blocked I mean completely blocked.

How is the pump wired? Key on power? or does it turn on off of a switch?

As evil twins stated your going to want to clean everything basicly going to have to take every thing apart and clean it inside and out with break clear or something like that intercoolers dont work when they are coated with oil

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
It always smoked a little without the pump. No biggie. Down for a month, :( Maybe ill just order two 61s with ball bearings. 1499 a piece i was quoted from precision. I believe i have restrictors but not sure on the size ill post some pics of that as well.

most BB turbos take there own size restrictors mostly because a BB turbo doesnt use oil to float the shaft it just uses a tiny tiny little bit of oil to lube the bearings.

most BB turbos restictors look like little tiny pin holes

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
For reference

When I got my turbos back from being rebuilt:
CIMG2709.jpg

After I got the turbine housings re-coated and painted the center bodies using high heat ceramic paint and replaced all the bolts w/ SS bolts:
CIMG2764.jpg

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
what is the turn around time on that. That looks really nice. How did you get that painted black, did you take them back apart? Im pretty sure the passenger side is fine, it wasnt leaking but since i have one off. Im going to get them both rebuilt. Everything is wired correctly. Pump comes on when ignition comes on.

Last edited:

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I can't remember what exactly it was.. I did this during the winter so I wasn't waiting anxiously on it. Jet-Hot coating things isn't cheap and will add downtime so avoid it if you can!!!

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
why would i have to get the turbos rebalanced? If they seized up i could understand. The seals just went out. as long as everything is marked when taken apart shouldnt that be enough. I was just doing some research and thats what i have been reading.

Last edited:

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
Well I'm not 100% so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe to replace the oil seal the turbine needs to be removed from the shaft. Whenever the turbine is seperated from the shaft it would make sense for it to be rebalanced upon reassembly, you have to remember what kind of rpms these things do (as high as 150,000 RPM) so they need to be very well balanced!

YGETV8

Established Member
FWIW, I have heard it said that if you can rebuild a carburetor, you can rebuild a turbo! Just one question: what's a carburetor?!

Seriously, I think if everything is aligned exactly the way it came off, they say there is no need to rebalance.

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
Im sending them out today and probably going to have them coat them black. Im not even going to tempt to rebuild them. I can have them back in a week. Does anybody know where i can get the silicon that goes on the hot side that seals the pipe coming off the turbo to the exhaust. What temp should i use?

Last edited:

YGETV8

Established Member
Does anybody know where i can get the silicon that goes on the hot side that seals the pipe coming off the turbo to the exhaust. What temp should i use?

I believe you mean "Ultra Copper" silicone (by Permatex IIRC). Available at most any auto parts store.

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
well i got the turbos rebuilt and back on with the scavenger pump and a sump tank. Even with a .065 restrictor at the T and they still leak and smoke. Done messing with it and its going to the pros.

Users who are viewing this thread